What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official: Redcliffe Dolphins to join NRL in 2023

I believe the Dolphins is just a placeholder. The northern corridor is growing massively and I believe they will take their time and consult with the community. It is difficult, how will they come up with a name encompassing Brisbane, Moreton & Sunshine Coast without sounding ridiculously generic. Will watch with interest.
I agree, I want a geographical name but not sure which is the right one ?

T-Boon

Coach
There are so many Sydney expats up here that hate the broncos, we will all support Redcliffe and attend games, including Australia’s faster growing regional are in the Sunshine Coast is a smart move too.
I think if you are supporting the Dolphins because you hate the Broncos you should be rooting for the Dolphins to go by the name Brisbane because it will aggravate the Broncos the maximum amount (amongst other good reasons).

I think if you are supporting the Dolphins because you hate the Broncos you should be rooting for the Dolphins to go by the name Brisbane because it will aggravate the Broncos the maximum amount (amongst other good reasons).
No I’ll be supporting the dolphins because they represent the area I live in and I miss live footy after moving to the Sunshine Coast eight years ago, going for the broncos was never an option.
But a new team starting eight years after I moved here and with plans to play on the Sunshine Coast is very appealing.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
What about me I’m from Cronulla and been to 350 sharks games, moved to the Sunshine Coast eight years ago.
I miss live footy, should I not support rugby league in my new home?
I never though I’d support anyone but Cronulla but I’ve always believed in supporting the local team.
That’s just some guys opinion. There’s plenty of reasons to support other clubs while still being a diehard of another. My brother is a Knights fan and I’ve developed a soft spot for them. Unless they’re playing the Sharks I’m genuinely cheering for them every other week.

I’ll probably get a Dolphins membership because I love the game and id like to see them be successful, which hopefully will lead to an 18th team

None of this takes away from how much I love the Sharks and I’d never cheer for another team over them

big hit!

Bench
Redcliffe or Brisbane have to be the main contenders.

Sunshine State might work too given the club is looking to represent the Sunshine Coast as well as Brisbane, but it's not convoluting the name to encompass both.

But South Queensland, SE Queensland, Sunshine Coast, Greater Brisbane, etc Is too generic for mine. I think North Queensland works because there is a real geographic division between North Queensland and the rest of the state. Furthermore, there are already two other teams in SE QLD.

But does it really matter? I've noticed that the NRL has focused more upon the moniker when referencing teams rather than the place name and putting all the branding on these rather than the geographic name. A bit like American sport, and unlike say European football or even the AFL which still largely focus on the place name of the club.

Also I think you’ll find the majority of the dolphins support will come from the Moreton bay/sunshine coast area.
It’s a long way from Suncorp stadium so I expect poor crowds at Suncorp and a gradual shift back to playing home games away from there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Also I think you’ll find the majority of the dolphins support will come from the Moreton bay/sunshine coast area.
It’s a long way from Suncorp stadium so I expect poor crowds at Suncorp and a gradual shift back to playing home games away from there.
Problem is neither of the other stadiums are fit for purpose at moment, unless we think a new nrl club avg‘ing 11k crowds is acceptable?
if the sunshine stadium redevelopment goes ahead and gets it up to 16k that would certainly make it more viable As “the” dolphins second home.

Problem is neither of the other stadiums are fit for purpose at moment, unless we think a new nrl club avg‘ing 11k crowds is acceptable?
if the sunshine stadium redevelopment goes ahead and gets it up to 16k that would certainly make it more viable As “the” dolphins second home.
There are plans for both stadiums to be upgraded and the Sunshine Coast stadium is already funded from a local philanthropist, council and state governments.
Just need scomo to chip in which should happen with the Olympics coming and soccer to be played on the sunny coast.
They will start with games at Suncorp but I don’t think that’s where it will end.

Valheru

Coach
There are so many Sydney expats up here that hate the broncos, we will all support Redcliffe and attend games, including Australia’s faster growing regional are in the Sunshine Coast is a smart move too.
Assuming those Sydney expats primarily support a Sydney team though?

Assuming those Sydney expats primarily support a Sydney team though?
Yes we do and we would of found it very hard to support a club we already hated being from Sydney.
This is different for me as they are a new club that has started eight years after I moved here so I’m happy to support them.
I just hope they don’t alienate their biggest asset which is the current Redcliffe supporter base.

MugaB

Coach
"The" hehe i see what you did there

That does have merit. Though if they are looking to represent the greater Brisbane region, while also representing the Moreton Bay region, they could be called Moreton Yuggera Dolphins. (the greater Brisbane region, including Moreton Bay is Yuggera Country).
Perhaps they will go with the local aboriginal name for Redcliffe
I looked it up and it’s Kau-in-Kau-in, doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue

For Brisbane it’s Mianjin

The Mianjin Dolphins

yadamisha

Juniors
OK - in addition to ‘Sunshine State Dolphins’ the following names have been registered with ASIC:

- Brisbane Dolphins
- Rivercity Dolphins
- Moreton Bay Dolphins
- Sunstate Dolphins

Yep Moreton Bay Dolphins I suspect as I mentioned earlier.

Redcliffe Dolphins traditionally represented Redcliffe City in the BRL (the suburbs of Kippa-Ring, Clontarf, Scarborough, Rothwell, Newport, Margate, Woody Point and its namesake Redcliffe) whereas now Redcliffe City council has since merged with Pine Rivers Shire and Caboolture Shire Councils to form the massive Moreton Bay Regional Council.

So a result as an NRL team they want to represent all these areas, not just part of it plus the Sunshine Coast hence why I suspect they will become the preferred name of Moreton Bay Dolphins! I highly doubt it will be Brisbane as they have never been part of Brisbane and would piss off their core supporters.

I was born in Cronulla and will always support the Sharks and keep my Season Seats, but I grew up in Redcliffe hence will also follow and be an interstate member of the Dolphins as well.

MugaB

Coach
Not sure why there is an obsession for naming teams after aboriginal references or lands, but unless the town is already called that on a map, maybe vest to keep things vague, and go with south qld

yadamisha

Juniors
Sunshine Coast in this case would become the primary home and Redcliffe secondary. No need to use Lang Park then.

T-Boon

Coach
Yeah if that happens it will be good for you but it will be a failure of an exercise and the club will be more like the Titans level than the Broncos level.