What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Wenty Magpies 2011 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stagger eel

Staff member
From all reports he was impressive in the pre season to the extent they considered playing him. Obviously he has abilty but he isn't producing.

Do you know if him struggling is more to do with the physical aspect of the game (going from u20s) or is he more likley stuggling with the media hype around the betting incident?

the reports I'm hearing are on the contrary to what you're hearing caylo..

Who`s Wenty`s coach this year? What`s he like?

Brett Cook - took our bundy cup side to 2 premierships in a row.

caylo

Bench

I was talking about pre-christmas pre season training before trials or Murray was implicated with the betting scandel.

It was posted on here by a few forum members that the coaching staff were very impressed with his skill level and the idea was tossed around. Murray obviously didnt take any of that form into the trials or early rounds so far hence why i asked if any one had any theories why. Is he physically stuggling to play with bigger stronger defenders?

Stagger eel

Staff member
I was talking about pre-christmas pre season training before trials or Murray was implicated with the betting scandel.

It was posted on here by a few forum members that the coaching staff were very impressed with his skill level and the idea was tossed around. Murray obviously didnt take any of that form into the trials or early rounds so far hence why i asked if any one had any theories why. Is he physically stuggling to play with bigger stronger defenders?

I was reliably told last night that he was struggling against 3rd tier opposition, he was very quiet in attack as he was last week and was poor in defence..in fact his performance was over shadowed by Brendon Waters who was also average at best.

in terms of what the coaching staff think of him, I've actually heard differently. i don't know whether you can put it down to his personal life or not but to be honest i'm not interested in that stuff..

I think you guys are being rather rough on Murray.

Sure its a third tier competition ( debatable) its still rougher and tougher then the Toyota Cup and Murray is a young half who has no chemistry or history with any of the players.

I would give him time before you call for his head this early !!

gustarny

Juniors
A player with the wraps on him like murray had should stick out like Dogs balls in a third tier competition .I can remember watching Chris lawler play second grade years ago and stood out like a champion in reggies but smithy never rated him. He never made it anywhere else so maybe Smithy was right,so i dont think murray will make it toughness is his problem me thinks.

Gronk

Staff member
Yeah I bet some of the Bundy lads would have given him a bit of attention.

From the Roosters game (NYC Semi or GF) I saw last year he certainly looked like he could steer a team around and his kicking an passing game looked pretty polished.

Remember that he's only a pup and the betting thing must be freaking him out.

oldmancraigy

Coach
He never made it anywhere else so maybe Smithy was right,so i dont think murray will make it toughness is his problem me thinks.

Brian Smith was/is an outstanding judge of junior talent. He brought so many guys into first grade, and so many talented youngsters to the club.

However, I'd say the one weak point of his evaluation is in the halfback spot.

Tim Smith was the best one that I ever saw him 'bring through' the grades - he tended to favor the busy Ben Kusto types instead....

So that Brad Murray was rated by Smith is no death-knell on his future as a halfback (doesn't mean he'll make it either!)

lingard

Coach

Brett Cook - took our bundy cup side to 2 premierships in a row.

Thank you, Stagger. Let`s hope Cook and Kearney communicate better than Kenny and Anderson did (reportedly).

33 gone, try Wenty , Joel Reddy after the opposition player ducked for cover from a bomb. Goal kicked by Aaron Fluke Wenty 12 Windsor 6

Status
Not open for further replies.