What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offsiders

Brutus

Referee
Love it - but watch the AFL try to get a piece of it.

If they try to get in there and demand it be configured to suit their game (oval shape) then they should be told to f**k off.

There is simply no demand for another friggin oval shaped ground in Sydney. They have the SCG and Homebush which is more than enough for their two teams.

LESStar58

Referee
Interesting to hear Roy mention a new 40-45,000 seat stadium for the rectangular codes in Blacktown as part of the soccer world cup bid.

To put the NSW Government into further debt? Good thinking.

Look, all other issues aside a rectangular stadium in Blacktown would be awesome. Gives the NRL another option to move blockbuster clashes there as opposed to ANZ which, lets face it, looks terrible with a 20 odd thousand crowd.

m0nty

Juniors
then the AFL peddle this http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/gws-is-showground-bound-20100320-qn2u.html

if the AFL abandon their new ground they shoud be forced to repay the Blacktown council $20 million
I daresay GWS would continue to use the Blacktown oval for training and admin, plus preseason and maybe even the odd H&A game against a small club like Port Adelaide or Fremantle.

I don't think Australia will win the bid anyway, so this is all probably moot.

When the Sydney Swans and Carlton played a trial match there last month, 10,000 crammed into the ground.

The official crowd was 9,700 and by all reports there were plenty more empty seats than that...

Unfortunately in this whole business I can smell an AFL pitch for more NSW taxpayers dollars. They need to understand that western Sydney is entirely indifferent to AFL. If the AFL wants to have an adventure there fine....but use its own money. After all, doesn't AFL continually boast it's the most cashed up code in Australia?

E.T.D

Juniors
The first thing that came to my mind regarding the possibiltity of a new rectangular stadium in West Sydney is what a great facility that rugby league can benefit from.

Others in this thread just saw it as another reason to take a dump on the other code and how they'd react to it. Who gives a stuff!

Hopefully, if the World Cup bid is successful, then this new facility can progress the NRL's need to pursue a path towards ground rationalisation in Sydney.

The first thing that came to my mind regarding the possibiltity of a new rectangular stadium in West Sydney is what a great facility that rugby league can benefit from.

Others in this thread just saw it as another reason to take a dump on the other code and how they'd react to it. Who gives a stuff!

Hopefully, if the World Cup bid is successful, then this new facility can progress the NRL's need to pursue a path towards ground rationalisation in Sydney.

This is the biggest mistake we could make.

Sydney is simply too big to have all the teams playing out of only a few grounds.

It works in melbourne because the geography is vastly different and the teams are all pretty much next to each other.

Not only that but sydney teams would basically lose home ground advantage whilst out of sydney teams would enjoy it for every game.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I got the feeling people were saying they want the AFL to butt out of this western sydney stadium and play at homebush because we don't need another stadium that's crap for the other codes.

m0nty

Juniors
boggerball fans are stupid http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/fo...owground-bound?p=476020&viewfull=1#post476020

Masters said it would be rectangular

dumb f**k
It's a good point about Sydney already having two WC-ready stadia and hosting two groups at most, though. Lowy reckons he's including 16 stadia in the bid but he's kidding himself if he thinks he's going to get funding to upgrade a dozen or more rectangular venues. There's a cubic buttload of foul-smelling hot air in the bid documents IMO.

LESStar58

Referee
Loved Roy on Sunday when he compared Origin to France Vs Argentina and said the latter couldn't outrate the former. Gold. I wish Caro was on to watch her squirm!

j5o6hn

Juniors
Are then any links to the figures they were on about on Offsiders 34000 u/17 Aussie rule players in West Sydney or Sydney and the League number seemed low as well for U/17s.

j5o6hn

Juniors
I think the Figures quoted on Offsiders are bullsh*t,I added up the figures Masters gave as 2007 and it came to from the Central Coast to West Sydney 9518 AFL players ,and Cassidy is trying to tell us that the AFL now has 35,229 players U/17.according to Roy in 2007 they had 3577 Juniors,2929 Aust Kick,2810Youth,so in 3 years they have grown nearly 400% one word Bull sh*t,the figures Roy gave are for the Sydney basin not for West Sydney I think we have the AFL trick of if an AFL players visits a school its a AFL school.
I wish I could find the Article from a Melbourne paper online,can someone check my figures for me before I send a letter to Cassidy and Offsiders accusing them of telling out right lies

babyg

Juniors
They've been so bad the last couple of weeks I Had to bring this up again.

Origin week they loaded up the show with AFL people, then expressed their concerns about the biff.

Yesterday brought up Phil Gould's Origin opening speech expressing their concerns about the words "it might get violent".

Discussed whether Origin had a future since Qld have won for 4 years.

On top of that they expressed their bewilderment that the 3 men and a baby St Kilda story really should have made the news at all.

Latest posts