What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One year in - the Board

taipan

Referee
That was largely Flano. Don't forget in all this that the football staff were at great lengths to conceal all the supplement use from management and the board, and this board look set to re-employ the captain of the ship.

Yes, the previous board did a crappy job of concealing our wrongdoing. Irvine took the fall. But dont forget that the responsibility for the ASADA saga lies at the feet of Flano, Elkin, Dank and to a lesser extent Noakes and Mooney who actually did the wrong thing.

IOW IMO no proper communication lines between the football office and the board.Again I get back to the club having a fulltime CEO by asking the NRL for a hand until the club was back on its feet.
The rest of your post I am in concurrence.
Actually re employing the coach,may help steer the ship by providing player stability.the last thing we need are more defections to the likes of the Dogs/Rorters/and Panfas.
Look I am just a mug supporter who has spent decades going through shyte with the club.Remember having a sticker on my Datsun 180B with a huge sugn on the rear window."Save our Sharks".
I am sure that's the reason I got worry lines at an early age.

millersnose

Post Whore
That was largely Flano. Don't forget in all this that the football staff were at great lengths to conceal all the supplement use from management and the board, and this board look set to re-employ the captain of the ship.

Yes, the previous board did a crappy job of concealing our wrongdoing. Irvine took the fall. But dont forget that the responsibility for the ASADA saga lies at the feet of Flano, Elkin, Dank and to a lesser extent Noakes and Mooney who actually did the wrong thing.
Its really hard to respond to this without sounding like I am having a pop at you Newman as I believe you belief everything you post to be true
Also I am posing no defence of elkin flanno etc as it is clear they farged up big time

I single out the idea that no one on the board knew anything

There are two possibilities here

1. The least likely that no one on the coaching staff or training staff or medical staff or playing staff mentioned this episode to anyone on the board in any way yet no one has affirmed the board was kept in the dark.
The level of disfunction and distrust between the board and the rest of the organisation must have been unique in the history of organisations - that asada knew and every body else knew except the board stretches credibility too far - I have yet to see anyone confirm they kept it hidden from the board . There is only one person publcally claiming the board knew nothing. What else was concealed from them? How low does the confidence of staff in an organisation have to sink to conceal such an enormously threatening series of events from the board

2. Most likely they (or at least some of them) knew something and decided to nod and wink and turn a blind eye

Either option points to a board not taking its responsibilities seriously and a lack of proffesionalism that shows they should have fallen on their swords long before it got to this

So Irvine being the 'fall guy' is an amazing understatement
He isn't the victim
He was responsible

Ads

First Grade
Tend to agree with you Millers. To me Flanno is the main man in all of this though. He is the connection between the board and the team (along with Mooney I guess?), yet the new board want to re-sign him? Why? That's the question I would love to have answered.

Feej

First Grade
http://www.theleader.com.au/story/2161375/sharks-face-perfect-storm/?cs=1633

CRONULLA Sharks members attending the annual general meeting tonight and the local derby this Saturday at Remondis Stadium could be excused for thinking their club is caught in the middle of the ‘‘perfect storm’’.

Off the field, the Sharks have lost its head coach Shane Flanagan (suspended until at least September), been fined $1 million (with $400,000 suspended), the ASADA investigation into the club’s 2011 supplements program is ongoing and the club is still without a major sponsor.

On the field, the Sharks have suffered one of the worst, early season injury lists in past decades; the Bulldogs have stolen their most dynamic forward, Andrew Fifita (at least) for next year, and the club will find it hard to replace him.

The Sharks directors will announce tonight a 2013 loss of $1.627 million (versus $1.078m in 2012). However, it could have been much worse. Without an NRL grant increase of $2.648m and interest savings of $1.254m, the loss would have been more than $5.5m.

Overall, Sharks Group revenue rose by $3.006m (NRL grants and some membership subscriptions) and interest costs fell by $1.254m, all other Sharks Group revenue was down or flat.

Sponsorship increased by $281,000 to $4.54m but marketing expenses ballooned by $1.125m to $4.256m.

Total liabilities or debt increased from $17.6m in 2012 to $18.198m, and Group expenses (excluding interest) increased by $4.8m to $26.86m, with the NRL salary cap rising from $4.4m to $5.85m, and ASADA costs and salary cap fines at $1.55m.

The challenge now is for the club — like most Sydney NRL clubs — to increase revenue in the face of rising costs. Revenue from the club’s $300 million Woolooware Bay development is still some years off.

This Saturday, the injury-depleted team, beaten 42-4 by Canterbury Bulldogs on Monday night, meets a new-look and unbeaten Dragons team.

Although the Sharks have Todd Carney and prop Siosaia Vave back from their squad of nine first graders out, and serious doubts about captain Wade Graham playing, the Dragons are unchanged and have added Jack de Belin and Jack Stockwell to an extended bench.

St George local junior Kyle Stanley said of their good win over New Zealand Warriors:

‘‘I think we all did our job, after getting behind early but local derbies are always close, no matter how the teams are going.’’

The derby day is sponsored by the Tynan Motors Group and teams play for the Monty Porter Cup, in memory of former league forward Porter, who played in six premierships winning Dragons teams and went on to become the Sharks inaugural captain in 1967.

Both clubs’ NSW Cup and Holden Cup (under 20s) teams play before the main 7pm NRL game.

Ausguy

Coach
nah i was over that way last night... im not a local either, not going 2 nights in a row down that way