What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Only four teams can win the comp

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
no mention of the doggies in this pack? you have to be kidding me.

No chance in hell. Barba is not firing, Reynolds is showing himself to be a pretender, and Tony Williams is a nuffy. Unless they get a run going during Origin, they'll be lucky to even make the finals.

If Dugan continues to hit his straps, the Dragons could be surprise contenders IMO. He gives them that x-factor they lost when Boyd left the club. They look a much better side with him in the lineup.

BunniesMan

Immortal
A contender to make the finals. But still nowhere near the top 4.

And I think within the top 4 Souths and Easts are separating themselves from Manly and Melbourne. Heading into the first Origin affected game I expect the top 4 to be like this:

1. Souths 20
2. Easts 18
3. Storm 15
4. Manly 15

I also expect Melbourne and Manly to be more affected by Origin than Souths and Easts. By origin 3 I think you'll see the minor premeirship will be down to a 2 horse race.

Card Shark

Immortal
Tonight was the draw Melbourne and Manly had to have.

It is good to see teams on odd numbers. Beats final positions decided by for & against.

Another draw for teams around the bottom of the 8 would be good.

firechild

First Grade
I also expect Melbourne and Manly to be more affected by Origin than Souths and Easts. By origin 3 I think you'll see the minor premeirship will be down to a 2 horse race.

Manly: Watmough
Souths: Inglis, Merritt :)lol:)
Easts: Pearce, Maloney, Jennings
Melbourne: Cronk, Smith, Slater

You're right, Manly will be massively affected.

gUt

Coach
You can't hand it to us because we have it, but we won't bother bringing it to the games if that suits.

firechild

First Grade
Wow, he made a tackle, pick him for origin. :crazy:

Against Brisbane - 0 tackles, 1 missed
Against Manly - 0 tackles, 3 missed

Doesn't sound like the defensive stats of an origin hopeful.

Last edited:

HowHigh

Coach
When the fact change, I change my opinion. What do you do?

Same as picking Uate. Merritt dominated Korobiete in a one on one tackle. Yes he missed 1 but if he don't pick everyone if theyve missed 1 tackle noone would get picked.
He dominated a 20 year old winger in a tackle?
Give that man the blues jersey right now

Silent Knight

First Grade
Same as picking Uate. Merritt dominated Korobiete in a one on one tackle. Yes he missed 1 but if we don't pick everyone if theyve missed 1 tackle noone would get picked.

I wouldn't recommend Uate for the Blues. He's injured, out of form and would prove to be a defensive liability. Cronk would have a field day with him. Just like he will if Merritt gets picked.

gUt

Coach
Pick Merritt so there's less chance of Gorden and/or Ferguson being picked.

Card Shark

Immortal
I wouldn't recommend Uate for the Blues. He's injured, out of form and would prove to be a defensive liability. Cronk would have a field day with him. Just like he will if Merritt gets picked.

Yes, they picked on Uate quite successfully last year.

perverse

Referee
The thing about Uate is that if he's on, and putting his body on the line on both sides of the ball, you want him in your origin team. At his confident best, he's an asset to any team. At his best he's an extra forward in your team, plus an x-factor match winner from the wing - and can bust a game wide open without any help from his team whatsoever.

He's not really playing like that at the moment, though... and at his worst he's a complete liability under the high ball and in defense in general. You don't pick him in his current form, and it's a pretty easy omission. If I were a rep selector, I'd always have my eye on Aku's form, but wouldn't have a problem putting a line through his name if he's not on fire.

As for the thread topic... we could have the top 4 looking nervously over their shoulders by years end if we find consistency. If our only contributions to the Origin teams are Gidley and Boyd (or even Mason, too) then we could actually claim a top 4 spot ourselves over the origin period... with quite able backups for all of those players. Whilst ever Mullen is on the field and his forwards are giving him space, we'll be dangerous. His form is exemplary at the moment... and he's the only bloke in our squad that we simply cannot come close to replacing if he's not available. He is looking really ominous at the moment... and is turning into the player we thought he was going to be years ago. It's amazing how Bennett always manages to get his cream to rise to the top.