What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parra

Referee
ASADA is not independent. Simple as that.

Do we need an independent body for this? That is a different discussion. I'd say no, any body will be reliant on funding or "donations" from somewhere. Better to be up front about it. Just give ASADA clear guidelines on what it is there for. Investigating rumours should not be on ASADA's agenda at all. Conduct tests within Australia, report results. That's it.

taipan

Referee
So the NBN is relevant to this debate, you are political point scoring and I would much prefer to focus on the sport, if their are drug cheats in Australian sport than I want them gone.

If money is available on the NBN ,of such magnitude,then a a miniscule percentage of that figure should be available for things such as sports' testing and such a body as ASADA.
The money issue is relevant to the debate,unlesswe are another planet.
Lundy was able to spend a decent sum of money on I believe a collingwood facility via a grant.The wealthiest club in the land.
We at least agree on removing drug cheats.We disagree on the way it has been handled.

If it is political point scoring ,then I am aligned with some members of the ALP in parliament who have castigated Lundy and the handling of the issue

magpie4ever

First Grade
ASADA is not independent. Simple as that.

Do we need an independent body for this? That is a different discussion. I'd say no, any body will be reliant on funding or "donations" from somewhere. Better to be up front about it. Just give ASADA clear guidelines on what it is there for. Investigating rumours should not be on ASADA's agenda at all. Conduct tests within Australia, report results. That's it.

Ding, ding; spaceship for the planet Looney leaves in 10 minutes. Please be on it.

magpie4ever

First Grade
If money is available on the NBN ,of such magnitude,then a a miniscule percentage of that figure should be available for things such as sports' testing and such a body as ASADA.
Lundy was able to spend a decent sum of money on I believe a collingwood facility via a grant.The wealthiest club in the land.
We at least agree on removing drug cheats.We disagree on the way it has been handled.

If it is political point scoring ,then I am aligned with some members of the ALP in parliament who have castigated Lundy and the handling of the issue

Then let us debate whether the Government NBN policy ($37 billion) is better than the Libs NBN ($31 billion) policy; is better or not. Or, lets agrue about refugees arriving by boat.

Not relevant, it is politics - talking sport.

magpie4ever

First Grade

Are you able to provide a link or reference to this supposed grant?

unforgiven

Bench

No the NBN issue is not relevant to this conversation, you are argueing it as a point because being anti labour you view it as a bad idea based on your political beliefs. To be honest I agree that the NBN money could be better spent but i'd be sending that funding to education and health not sport, but im not hear to debate politics, im here to discuss the drugs in sport issue.

There is obviously some issues with drug use in sport in Australia and that needs to be fixed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NBN is not a luxury it is a essential for the future of the country, copper wire? ffs!

but back on point the Govt spends many many billions every year, if they consider a clean sporting set up important for Australia they have an obligation to fund the means to ensure that.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ut-up-gazelle-tells-asada-20130413-2hsck.html

There are plenty of NRL officials who are tipping that ASADA is timing its announcement of players being stood down to coincide with the State of Origin series. This whole thing has been a media production so it would not shock.

that would have been Labor's plan since day one

and Labor have been avoiding Essendon ike the plague http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Sport/2013/04/13/Bombers_AFL_players_yet_to_face_ASADA_863349.html

Canard

Immortal

Sorry El D just a point of order that article about ASADA not interviewing Essendon, which is a joke by the way, doesn't mention anything about the ALP??

The non interview is stunning however. Its like me having a press conference announcing that "I might have killed someone" and the police saying that's cool, we will interview you in a couple of months once you sort your shit out.

To me it's clear evidence that the AFL did a deal with them "I.e it's all good we will handle it in house"

On a side note Danny Weilder's article is a sickening suck up job "he is a man of honor" FMD

Last edited:
I said weeks ago that it will be Origin week and I stand by that. Teams will be picked, players in camp and then..... ASADA press conference.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Maybe the 'announcement in Origin week' is just a media construct, as it will be they who would benefit most from any negative development.

It will be their prime opportunity to sling mud at any rate.

Canard

Immortal
Maybe the 'announcement in Origin week' is just a media construct, as it will be they who would benefit most from any negative development.

It will be their prime opportunity to sling mud at any rate.

Well it's only Weidler saying it, I wouldn't be putting myself in the same camp with that mong.

With all this shit about to hit the fan next week in the AFL, does anyone think that the NRL will suddenly be given a free pass for a few weeks? Like Hell! Demetriou will insist that the NRL get punished concurrently as part of the deal

Sorry El D just a point of order that article about ASADA not interviewing Essendon, which is a joke by the way, doesn't mention anything about the ALP??

The non interview is stunning however. Its like me having a press conference announcing that "I might have killed someone" and the police saying that's cool, we will interview you in a couple of months once you sort your shit out.

To me it's clear evidence that the AFL did a deal with them "I.e it's all good we will handle it in house"

On a side note Danny Weilder's article is a sickening suck up job "he is a man of honor" FMD

In regards to the non interviews, they are doing the same to them (AFL) as to the NRL. Making them wait and hope they self implode. It is starting to work. It has gone from cursory reporting to front pages in Melbourne, starting with the coach James Hird. It is being talked about now by people in the street. Media now latching on to it and it is a pleasure to see.

Best few days I have spent for work in Melbourne in like...forever!

taipan

Referee
No the NBN issue is not relevant to this conversation, you are argueing it as a point because being anti labour you view it as a bad idea based on your political beliefs. To be honest I agree that the NBN money could be better spent but i'd be sending that funding to education and health not sport, but im not hear to debate politics, im here to discuss the drugs in sport issue.

There is obviously some issues with drug use in sport in Australia and that needs to be fixed.

The Govt called all sporting bodies to Canberra and made the announcement.
The Govt has admitted more resources are needed by ASADA.
The NBN is costing a hell of a lot.That is funding.That is relevant.
What my political leanings(and I have voted Labor )are zilch to do with inadequate funding.It is what it is.I don't fund ASADA ,the Govt does.

My view is the players are being put through this issue for too long,and this may not have happened if the funding had been available and the resources met.

taipan

Referee
In regards to the non interviews, they are doing the same to them (AFL) as to the NRL. Making them wait and hope they self implode. It is starting to work. It has gone from cursory reporting to front pages in Melbourne, starting with the coach James Hird. It is being talked about now by people in the street. Media now latching on to it and it is a pleasure to see.

Best few days I have spent for work in Melbourne in like...forever!

You should have seen the Offsiders this morning,the knives were out.For once the AFL(or at least a club) semed to be getting a bit of dark stuff thrown at them,by a gaggle of AFL apologists-Cassidy,Wilson,Harms,Whately et al.
After all the capola thrown at the NRL over the years,by a couple of these guys,it was almost music to the ears.

taipan

Referee
NBN is not a luxury it is a essential for the future of the country, copper wire? ffs!

but back on point the Govt spends many many billions every year, if they consider a clean sporting set up important for Australia they have an obligation to fund the means to ensure that.

Of course PR.the world will end without it.Hang the expense.:roll:

Your last para I agree,but it is painfully obvious they"have not been doing so.Hence the length of time being taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.