What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 2013 NSW side

Jason Maher

Immortal
I could certainly live with Nevcost's team. Since Pearce is going to be there like it or not (and I'm very much in the not category), my team would be:

1. Hayne
2. Uate
3. Jennings
4. Moz 1
5. Moz 2
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
13. Merrin
12. Gallen
11. Bird
10. Tamou
9. Farah
8. Grant

14. Woods
15. Mannah
16. Watmong
17. Lewis

Other option is Merrin as prop #4 insted of Mannah, Lewis to 13, and Sims or Hoffman on the bench (my preference being Sims - a true impact player).

Spot On

Coach
1. Hayne
2. B.Morris
3. Jennings
4. J.Morris
5. Uate
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Watmough
13. Gallen (C)

14. Lewis
15. Hoffman
16. Merrin
17. Fafita

I really like your pack and bench Nevcost.

I'm not a Jennings fan so don't care if he's not there. Just don't know who replaces him??

Halves are always an issue for us. No need to comment there. Happy for Maloney to get a start. Goal kicking and straightening the attack is a bonus.

Love the starting pack. Very happy to see Woods get a start. He was outstanding again last night v the Broncs. Carried their pack. If people are going to go off stats for their props I don't know how they can miss this bloke. He's a must this year. Get him in there.

I haven't watched a lot of Penrith this year but I can see why you have left Tim Grant out. However, Cleary has him improving at the right time fingers crossed. For mine that's the only contentious position on the bench. That said, Fifita has been very good so far this year. I'd possibly go Grant again. The other option is to punt Merrin and have both Grant and Fifita???? When you've got Gallen in the side you probably don't need to carry Merrin.

And then there's Uate. I'm a Newcastle supporter. If he can't show he's improved under the high ball and in defence he should not be there. He'll be a liability. Yes he returns the ball like an animal and has attacking flair but he WILL be targetted heavily and I don't think he's up to it. I hope I'm proven wrong if he gets a start.

I'm also unsure about Hayne at fullback. That said, I can't come up with a better option.

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
Carney was about as good as a player could be in a team that lost by 16. Sharks should have won by 30 on the back of his effort alone.

That is the player we need for origin. He looked like he wanted to win at all costs. Maloney should be right up there but Carney is a better ball player and kicker and has partnered with Pearce before.

Hopefully Carney can build on that effort and at least whichever one we pick will be in top form.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Mason shouldn't be picked for NSW based on his form this year I don't think he's quite up to that level nowadays. I can understand the selectors picking him because of his experience, but I just think there's some very good young props to choose from whom I think would perform better.

For example, I'd hate to see a guy like Woods miss out who produces a lot more quality week in week out at club level than what Mason does. I'm also a big fan of Grant and although he's a little down on form, I see him as one of those players who will rise at Origin level and play with plenty of passion and aggression. He was like a man possessed in last years Origin series. He was awesome tonight, I thought.

Last edited:
I guess that Daley will pick Pearce and Maloney in the halves. I'd be happy with this side :-

Fullback - Brett Stewart
Wings - Brett Morris, Jarryd Hayne
Centres - M.Jennings, J.Morris
Five-Eighth - J.Maloney
Halfback - M.Pearce
No.9 - Robbie Farah (c)
Front-rowers - James Tamaaw, Tim Grant
Second-rowers - Greg Bird, Tariq Sims
Loose-forward - L.Lewis

Interchange - K.Gidley, A.Woods, T.Learoyd-Lahrs, P.Gallen

I've been v.impressed with Learoyd-Lahrs recently, it was making me think that his contract might be up soon.

panthersam

Juniors
1. Brett Stewart
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Michael Jennings
4. Josh Morris
5. Michael Gordon
6. James Maloney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. James Tamou
9. Robbie Farah
10. Tim Grant
11. Greg Bird
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Paul Gallen

14. Willie Mason
15. Aaron Woods
16. Anthony Watmough
17. Luke Lewis

If I was picking the team that's what I'd go with.

panthersam

Juniors
I think he can do just a capable job as Morris could plus he has the added bonus of the pinpoint kicking which could be crucial.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Brett and Josh will be picked and will play the same side of the field.

Jennings and Hayne the other side.

I also think Carney and Pearce will be the halves. ( I would go Mullen right, Carney left) when Farah is hooker you can do that.

Fullback not sure where Laurie is at, but B Stewart is the incumbent, do think anyone has stood up, Gordon has been ok for us, but not stand out enough to demand a spot.

Gallen, Tamou, Lewis, Bird, Watmough I would consider certainties.

So I think, Wood, Merrin, Grant, Fifta would all have chance to impress for the spare Prop berth.

Then no shortage of backrowers for the spare spot there

So how I see Laurie going

B Stewart
Hayne, Jennings, Carney, Bird, Tamou, Farah, Gallen, Merrin, Lewis, Pearce, JMoz, Bmoz

With Grant/Woods/Fifta off the bench for Tamou

Watmough on for Merrin - Gallen to front row

Dave_

Juniors
Is Gordon actually a chance over Morris or is this just wishful thinking of some?

Surely not. Like alot of players, he hasn't been any good since he done his ACL. If he's the best we have, were gone.

Clifferd

Coach
Where does all this Mitchell Pearce love come from? I just dont get it.

Just being realistic. Laurie Dopely has stated numerous times that Mitchell Pearce will most likely be starting half barring injury lol

lockyno1

Post Whore
I have watched B Stewart this entire season. Cannot understand how he is classed a walk up start

The better question..."who else would you pick at fullback?". NSW don't have that many options: Hayne- well okay apart from the fact he was poor at fullback in Origin before, Coote is injured, Mini is past it, Gordon is no more than solid. Stewart is the one fullback that is a noted try scorer from nothing.

Tone83

Juniors
Who else would you put? I hate him, truly, but he's one of the few talented blues that actually can do amazing origin level shit. If qld had the pool that nsw have they'd pick him, they pick the best players whether they're playing well that season or not, and then they lift for origin and play to their potential. Form is always linked to the club and the season, the players mental state in regards to all those things. All that changes for origin, they're gonna snap out of their slump and the fog will clear cause its a totally different atmosphere with different levels of motivation involved. No ones bored or disinterested with origin, so everyone is gonna play their guts out. So you go by how good a player can be, therefore 1st and second players picked for blues should be hayne and b stewart, in that order, even though this year they suck, you know what they can do and you want that come origin.
Go by form and you'll just end up with some mediocre tryhard thats gonna be facing way way better players who are suddenly as keen and motivated as he is and its a gross mismatch.

big hit!

Bench
B Stewart
Hayne, Jennings, Carney, Bird, Tamou, Farah, Gallen, Merrin, Lewis, Pearce, JMoz, Bmoz

With Grant/Woods/Fifta off the bench for Tamou

Watmough on for Merrin - Gallen to front row

4 cronulla players?

Pearce will play on the left and continue the combo he's had with Jennings & Hayne at Origin.

If Gallen is going to play prop, then he has to come off for a stint. Stats are a number. They don't explain in-game effectiveness, and for props, that's bending the line and getting the defence to move further back to get on-side. That's when the QLD big four continually got on top of the game in the important 50-70 min period of games last season. All of Petero, Scott, Hannant & Shillo had spells, and I'd also take each of them ahead of Gallen as a prop. He's undersized and relies more on bouncing off and having second digs rather than making impact on that first collision. Absolutely under no circumstances should a player in a position that has to cart it up the middle of every set, as well as making the bulk of tackles in the middle third, play the whole 80 mins. He might be capable from a fitness perspective, but the fresher players at this level will always be more effective.

Gallen plays prop, QLD win 8.

Latest posts