What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin Eligibility changes

adamkungl

Immortal
http://leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=23440

From 2013 no player will be eligible to play for NSW or Queensland unless he has lived in that state before the age of thirteen, or unless he is the son of an Origin player. The player must also be eligible to play for Australia.

“State of Origin is an incredibly important part of the game and the heart of the concept is a person’s state of origin,” ARL Commission Chairman, Mr John Grant, said today.

“It is fundamental therefore that the concept is preserved on that basis, simply because it is so unique.

“The Commission introduced a number of important changes to eligibility in 2012 that solved many of the previous arguments, but it did not solve all issues of international player eligibility.

“The Under 13 cut-off is one that has been put forward by the General Manager of Game Development, Andrew Hill, after consultation with greats like Wayne Bennett, Bob Fulton and Tim Sheens, the state leagues and the Origin coaches.”

adamkungl

Immortal
Good, but i'm confused about the Australian eligibility part.

'Must also be eligible to play for Australia' - does this mean what it says, ie. satisfies Australia's eligibility rules, or continue the current rule of 'must play for Australia'.

Hopefully the former.

adamkungl

Immortal
Thought the same. Does that mean the player must have lived in Australia prior to the age of 13 .......?

I don't see how it would be even possible for someone to be eligibile for Origin and not Australia, so I'm not sure why it's mentioned, unless it means they must play for Australia.

Big Pete

Referee
Step in the right direction.

Do similar rules apply to the Poms & Kiwis?

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Not in regards to Origin, but eligibility in general. They've been just as guilty of poaching players as any of the two states.

Canard

Immortal
Good will stop Kiwis and Fijians playing and resolve the controversial ones.

I.e stop the GI and Tamou selections

adamkungl

Immortal
Not in regards to Origin, but eligibility in general. They've been just as guilty of poaching players as any of the two states.

Not really relevant, international eligibility rules have absolutely zero to do with state of origin rules.

Australia can still 'poach' players. Ie. under these new rules, the next Uate can still play for Australia. But he can't play for NSW, which is good.

Hopefully that gives a bit of incentive to stay with Fiji, but I doubt it considering the money on offer from the Roos. Until someone works hard and smart at promoting and building the international game, this will continue to be the case.

Didgi

Good, but i'm confused about the Australian eligibility part.

'Must also be eligible to play for Australia' - does this mean what it says, ie. satisfies Australia's eligibility rules, or continue the current rule of 'must play for Australia'.

Hopefully the former.

I don't see how it would be even possible for someone to be eligibile for Origin and not Australia, so I'm not sure why it's mentioned, unless it means they must play for Australia.

It means that the player must both have lived in the state prior to 13 years of age and have declared for Australia. It stops 1. Guys moving over here late and playin origin for the money and 2. Players who moved here before 13/have heritage elsewhere from playing origin but not for Australia. It's basically cementing Origin as Australia's product and only for players available for Australia. Allowing eligible players to play Origin and for another nation would help the international game but is never going to happen.

adamkungl

Immortal
Ugh it's so stupid, the very few players who would actually choose to represent another country would be of benefit to Origin, the International game, and be absolutely zero loss to Australia

Big Pete

Referee
Not really relevant, international eligibility rules have absolutely zero to do with state of origin rules.

Australia can still 'poach' players. Ie. under these new rules, the next Uate can still play for Australia. But he can't play for NSW, which is good.

Hopefully that gives a bit of incentive to stay with Fiji, but I doubt it considering the money on offer from the Roos. Until someone works hard and smart at promoting and building the international game, this will continue to be the case.

Which is why I just think it's a step in the right direction as opposed to being a good move in general. It's good to see the ARLC preserve the integrity of Origin but it doesn't sufficiently address the underlying problem of poaching. For mine, it was apart of the reason why Mal & Ricky were so hell-bent on getting their mits on as many Kiwis as they could, because the Poms and Kiwis were offering up spots to players who came up through both states.

I wonder if Korbin will still be considered a Maroon? Or if the Victorians will still be considered Blues?

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade
About time.
It was getting ridiculous. How does this effect current Origin players like GI?

It doesn't - it was announced some time ago that rule changes would not be retrospective. Tamou and Inglis are free to carry on playing for NSW & QLD

Whats Doing

Bench
I would suggest some of the selected emerging players may now not qualify for that state eg Korbin Sims, John Falou

ryana87

Juniors
Probably a silly question...... Does the origin eligibility change affect current players?.... I was under the impression that Greg Inglis moved from Nsw to qld and played his first rep footy in qld.... Therefore that's where he plays origin

Burwood

Bench
What's the go with Origin eligibility? Is it now solely based on whether you grew up in NSW or QLD before the age of 13, not where you played your first senior match? Or is it a combination of the two?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Didn't Tamou come to Sydney at age 12? What age did uate come over, 15 wasn't it?

Under this system inglis would be for nsw and teo nz. Would anyone else not be elidgable? Does this now change someone like Papallis elidgability?