What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

the phantom menace

First Grade
Yep, limiting the grand finals for the next three years to the one city hasn't gone down well at all - for a code where earning the right to host in your city is something fans and players alike have been very passionate about.

Might be nice for the bank balance (and for Perrottet's relection bid) but this has backfired massively, unless you're one of the Sydney A-League teams (and even then, there will be the pressure of solidarity with the stance of the other clubs).

Suitman

Post Whore

Geez mate. It's simple.

In 2013, the Wanderers played the GF in Brisbane in front of a 52000 sell out at Lang Park. They took 10 000 fans there.
In 2016, the Wanderers played Adelaide at the newly redeveloped Adelaide Oval in front of 53000 fans. We took 5-6000 fans there.
There have been many other examples of similar travelling fans to GF's. Victory fans to Sydney. ESFC fans to Melbourne, Mariners fans to Sydney. Victory fans to Newcastle

But, can you imagine if Perth played Wellington or Western United played Melbourne City and the game was played in Sydney?
We aren't the NRL or AFL mate. It's the A-League. It's football and it's different. Every grand final has been successful and a sellout. Why change that?

You reckon you'd get this in Sydney if the Victory were playing away?

You reckon you'd get this in Sydney if Brisbane was playing in Sydney?

You reckon you'd get this in Sydney if Adelaide United was playing in Sydney?

I'm not sure how many more examples I need to show you.

It's a pathetic money grab by the APL, and all for a measly $10 million over 3 years. It just goes to show that the people who still run football in this country have no f**king idea.
The worst thing they have done is announce this when football is on such a high atm after the Socceroos great run at the WC.
That just proves that those in charge have even less of an idea about football and its own unique culture. We don't have to be Australian and we don't have to follow what works for other Australian sports.
This decision is f**king embarrassing and I am glad that it has received such a backlash and that there will be fan protests this weekend.
Craig Goodwin, who was used in the promotion for this, has already distanced himself from the decision. He basically said that as well as being a football player, he is also a fan. And this decision is wrong.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore

The outrage grows.

I wouldn't be surprised if the agreement gets torn up.

I have not seen one report in support of this decision.
Even rusted on football journalists are outraged.

- Victory and City active fans are walking out of the derby after 20 minutes this weekend.
- Perth owner Tony Sage called the decision "a f**king disgrace" in a tweet. He wasn't consulted.
- Official press release statement from WU - https://wufc.com.au/news/club-statement-13-12-22
- Official press release statement from Victory, including the resignation of their CEO from the APL. https://melbournevictory.com.au/new...ne-carnegie-address-apls-grand-final-decision

The RBB and The Cove actives have absolutely condemned this decision with official statements, even though these two clubs would benefit most.

As I said yesterday, after all the good news with the Socceroos and the flow on it may have had for the A-League, the APL have just gone and destroyed it all, within a week.
It's f**king embarrassing.

Gronk

Staff member
The outrage grows.

I wouldn't be surprised if the agreement gets torn up.

I have not seen one report in support of this decision.
Even rusted on football journalists are outraged.

- Victory and City active fans are walking out of the derby after 20 minutes this weekend.
- Perth owner Tony Sage called the decision "a f**king disgrace" in a tweet. He wasn't consulted.
- Official press release statement from WU - https://wufc.com.au/news/club-statement-13-12-22
- Official press release statement from Victory, including the resignation of their CEO from the APL. https://melbournevictory.com.au/new...ne-carnegie-address-apls-grand-final-decision

The RBB and The Cove actives have absolutely condemned this decision with official statements, even though these two clubs would benefit most.

As I said yesterday, after all the good news with the Socceroos and the flow on it may have had for the A-League, the APL have just gone and destroyed it all, within a week.
It's f**king embarrassing.
So what is the financial position of the A-League right now and how does this deal improve the bottom line?

I'm not taking sides, but all info should be on the table.

the phantom menace

First Grade
And what is the difference in terms of powers/responsibility these days between FA, the APL and the clubs who participate in the A-League (who I thought took over from the Lowys and owned/ran the thing)?

Suitman

Post Whore
So what is the financial position of the A-League right now and how does this deal improve the bottom line?

I'm not taking sides, but all info should be on the table.

Financial position has always struggled.
It's probably why the APL took this decision, but $10 million over 3 years doesn't seem like a great deal tbh.
The FFA do not run the A-League anymore. They handed that over to the clubs which is now the APL.

All revenue for the finals series goes to the APL, including all semi's and the GF. That's a big money spinner just there.
I'm pretty certain that the APL pay the FFA a percentage of this to the FFA but I'm not sure what that percentage is.

In the end, the APL have basically given a big FU to clubs from other states, asking their fans to fork out thousands for airfares, tickets and accommodation to attend the GF in Sydney if their team makes it - even if as tradition has it they would have had a home grand final
It is no wonder there has been uproar.

Adelaide United are the latest club to release a press statement condemning this decision.

The APL last night held an emergency board meeting and confirmed they will be standing by their decision. So, they have completely ignored the backlash.

Disgraceful.

Suitman

Post Whore
Further news.

The Wanderers today released a statement to their members supporting the decision.
What a surprise! Of course they would, because the former sausage maker and owner of the Wanderers is on the board of the APL and was a party to this decision.

What a pathetic statement.

On the one hand, they claim "We believe our members and fans are the lifeblood of our club and always will be."
Yet, in the same statement they say "The APL Board decision is for the benefit of every club in the League."

So, our fans are important, but it's ok to shit on all the fans of interstate clubs as well as Wellington fans?
What a load of crap.

There's a lot more to play out here. This issue isn't going to die down quietly.

Chipmunk

Coach
I can't take a competition seriously whose trophy for winning the competition looks like a replica of a toilet seat.

Latest posts