What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Canberra Raider in awful allegation

fish eel

Immortal
Yeah massively let down by the prick who sent the pic. Of course it was going to go viral.

As for his actions, well it was an odd thing to do. I am sure it was not for sexual gratification. Rather a stunt to get a laugh from his mates. Epic fail.

No Gronk, massively let down by himself for doing the act. He doesnt do it, there is no photo.

Quite obviously in this day and age of phone cameras, twitter, facebook etc - Mad mondays are seriously not a good idea anymore.

Regardless of phone cameras, twitter etc, I'd still question whether Mad Monday, where you go and basically binge drink for a day or two is a good idea fullstop.

joseph1

Juniors
Im sorry but no-one can seriously blame drinking for this. To be in this position the guy must be totally screwed in the head.

boxhead

First Grade
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/8119255/threats-over-nrl-players-animal-sex-photo

WyattRoyMP, who claims he has other photographs of Monaghan, said he uploaded the image because he did not receive a response about his concerns from Raiders chief executive Don Furner.

As if we didn't know this guy was stupid enough already, isn't that a form of black-mail?
I hope the guy gets sued, not only for impersonation but also for doing sh*t like this. What a b**tard of a human being.

Eels Dude

Coach
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/8119255/threats-over-nrl-players-animal-sex-photo

As if we didn't know this guy was stupid enough already, isn't that a form of black-mail?
I hope the guy gets sued, not only for impersonation but also for doing sh*t like this. What a b**tard of a human being.

Not really. It could only be blackmail if he requested money and a threat was made, which doesn't appear to be the case , otherwise it's just a means of retaliation due not recieving a response to discuss the photo immoral as it may be. There are plenty of twitter impersonastion users apparently.

Don't se why you're having such a go at the guy who posted it, the way he did it certainly was wrong, but he shouldn't be the one crucified here, that person is Joel Monaghan. Don't shoot the messenger.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
It's a sad society we live in today when young people think this is just drunken shenanigans. Really really sad.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
It's a sad society we live in today when young people think this is just drunken shenanigans. Really really sad.

I do tend to agree, but with mobile phones and the internet etc the spotlight is on the players a lot more. I think there is some arguement that players a treat unfairly in certain situations. I meant look at the crap Trent Barrett copped for doing push ups with no shirt at 12.00 at night on a Tuesday - the guy was only having fun. And the pub he did it at is no silver spoon joint

20 to 30 years ago I am sure league players and other sports did just at many stupid things as todays players do, just the media was not as intense. Gee didn't a couple of Kangaroos burn out a car on tour or some Eel players did an insurance job. A couple of years ago I saw a very well know league player from the 70's and early 80's that drunk on a sunday afternoon he couldn't hardly walk (he caused no trouble at all, his partner was walking with him) no-one cared becuase he was old school. If he was a current player he would be lucky to have a contract.

In regards to drinking habits of young people today - I have a theory for the reason why, but don't think this is the fourm to bring it up.

sarahk

Juniors

If it makes you feel any better maroubra eel, I'm young and would never ever think such an act is in any way allowed. Being drunk / drugged / etc is no excuse and Joel Monaghan needs to cop it on the chin for being such a disgusting perve.

Gronk

Staff member
No Gronk, massively let down by himself for doing the act. He doesnt do it, there is no photo.
Regardless of the nature of the tasteless act, I was brought up old school and you just don't put a mate in such a predicament by emailing pics about.

Same goes with that Favola (sp) loser who released pics of Bingle in the shower. It's a breach of trust.

Yes he should not have ever contemplated such a lewd prank, but does he deserve public ridicule and his contract terminated ? HmmmNup.

parra pete

Referee
The bloke will be sacked, and he knows he will be sacked. His position has become untenable, both as a disruption to the Club on and off the field.
Don (CEO) and David (Coach) would be outraged at the stupidity of the bloke, and the Board led by JR won't tolerate this disgusting exhibition of unbelievable action of one of the Club's senior players....
It has been reported in the Press that he will be sacked. From what I have heard, it will definitely be the case. Bloody shame, but the code is better off without the dickheads...and I don't care who they are...

eels81236

Bench
If it makes you feel any better maroubra eel, I'm young and would never ever think such an act is in any way allowed. Being drunk / drugged / etc is no excuse and Joel Monaghan needs to cop it on the chin for being such a disgusting perve.

Role swapping. :shock:

Sorry. :oops:

mrpwnd

Bench
Regardless of the nature of the tasteless act, I was brought up old school and you just don't put a mate in such a predicament by emailing pics about.

Same goes with that Favola (sp) loser who released pics of Bingle in the shower. It's a breach of trust.

Yes he should not have ever contemplated such a lewd prank, but does he deserve public ridicule and his contract terminated ? HmmmNup.
That poor dog is MUCH more valuable than Bingle.
Also, anyone with the balls to have a picture of their schlong being licked by a dog will, generally speaking, be ridiculed by public and assuming they have a job, sacked immediately or suspended/on probation.

Suitman

Post Whore
The bloke will be sacked, and he knows he will be sacked. His position has become untenable, both as a disruption to the Club on and off the field.
Don (CEO) and David (Coach) would be outraged at the stupidity of the bloke, and the Board led by JR won't tolerate this disgusting exhibition of unbelievable action of one of the Club's senior players....
It has been reported in the Press that he will be sacked. From what I have heard, it will definitely be the case. Bloody shame, but the code is better off without the dickheads...and I don't care who they are...

x2.

I don't give a sh*t about who took the photo or who posted it on the internet.
If the dickwad didn't do it in the first place, he wouldn't be in this situation. Excessive alchohol consumption is absolutely no excuse.
He should consider himself lucky he didn't have his f**king member bitten off.
What a low life. Deserves everything coming his way.

Suity

Gronk

Staff member
It's gone global now with newspapers in the USA, Europe and Asia carrying the story. Fmd Joel time to get a new identity and move to Brazil.

fish eel

Immortal

I agree with all that Pete, but one comment that irked me was

"It is something he will live with for the rest of his life," Furner said. "It's a big cross to bear for doing something stupid out on the drink.

"The perils of the media and social media today are a great example of why you shouldn't do it."

Sorry Don, its nothing to do with the perils of media or social media as to why you shouldnt do it. You just shouldnt do it fullstop.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...l-to-a-new-a-low/story-e6frf7l6-1225948097160

fish eel

Immortal

I dont really think you can draw a parrallel between the Fevola/Bingle photos and this incident....

cgee221

Juniors
I have a number of standing points for these particular issues, I'm not quite sure where to start so I'll just jump right into it.

Rugby League players are much maligned in society these days, as are any athletes. In Sydney in particular, rugby league is the dominant sport and with sport being such a dominant part of Australian culture, the mass support of rugby league in Sydney, NSW and most of the east coast of Australia, big brother is always watching Rugby League players. Do they deserve this? ABSOLUTELY NOT! They are victims of their own industry. People make the mistake that we live in the information age. How wrong you are. We live in the entertainment age. Where if I say the names OJ or Monica, you know exactly who I'm referring too. People in this world want to be entertained, people want to know all the gossip, all the details and people can recall all the details. Why? Because they're being entertained. The reason Joel Mongahan's act was undertaken, was for a form of entertainment. The reason the picture was taken and subsequently posted on Twitter, was for entertainment. Entertainment of the players involved, entertainment of the people who saw/would see that picture, the entertainment of the people who posted the picture and sent the picture to other peoples phones.

Rugby League players these days, are no longer just athletes, they're entertainers and as such they're subject to every level of scrutiny that is humanly possible. Kind of ironic when you see the likes of Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton, who are also in the same entertainment industry (allbeit debateable granted those two don't do much) be subject to and play by a different set of rules. They can get off scotch free or with a slap on the wrist, while Joel Mongahan, like others before him, have paid the ultimate price and had their careers ruined or almost ruined by things that have only enhanced the profiles of Paris and Lindsay.

Now taking into considersation those two haven't done anything like Joel, the point I'm trying to make is that athletes have to be infalliable and squeaky clean otherwise they're outcasted, whereas Paris and Lindsay are embraced even though they engaged in immoral, unethical and illegal behaviour. And it's all happens for our entertainment. Joel is going to have a lot to face mentally for the rest of his life. He will have to live with that embarassment forever, everyone who sees him, knows him, they will all associate him with that one act and again, we're going to see it constantly pop up for years to come now, for our entertainment. I think it's disgraceful that he and other rugby league players in the past have to pay this type of price, be constantly maligned.

Rugby League players provide a hell of a lot more for society than the average person does, and with that, comes greater expectation (naturally) but we should not always be looking to outcast these players simply because they've done something wrong (allbeit something very very wrong in my books)

People, humanity, we do wrong things all the time, everyday! Rugby League is like any workplace, any community, it's made up from a cross-section of society. Different people with different beliefs and motives and agendas. Different aspirations, goals and dreams. They think differently and act differently.

My personal belief is that what Joel Mongahan has done is absolutely disgusting and when I personally saw the picture, I almost threw up. He has brought the game into yet another awful position. His club, the game but more importantly his family and himself, have been embarassed beyond belief. He does deserve to get sacked, he's sent out the wrong type of message to fans, sponsors, the NRL, rugby league in general and again, his family, that this type of behaviour is acceptable.

So what is at the heart of this problem? Many things....but one thing sticks out well above the rest. The education of our rugby league players is simply not good enough. Not enough is being done by the NRL or powers that be to bridge the gap between kids that finish school between years 10 and 12 and jump into a rugby league career. Kids are jumping from the shenanigans of the playground right into the media and national spotlight in almost an instance and it's happening at the same time that they're being exposed to alcohol, drugs, etc. They're growing up infront of the nation. Now, while Joel Mongahan is an older much more experienced player who should know better, does he really? He's like any other player, they've come out of school and are in the spotlight. There is not enough being done to bridge this gap! The education systems are poor, very poor and until the NRL fixes and properly invests in these systems, the will continue to have to react to problem after problem surfacing.

Is it stupid to ask the NRL to police everything? Of course! They shouldn't be concerned with what the players do in their private lives and they shouldn't have to be. The players should be free to do what they want and the NRL shouldn't have to be accountable, but until these education systems are properly fixed, the problems will continue to arise and the NRL will continue to be a reacting business, when they have the ability to be a lot more proactive.

Now because the NRL is in the entertainment industry, the product is always able to recover. The entertainment it provides to the community on a weekly basis 8 months of the year will always outweigh any wrong doings of the players or even the management of the game but there is a stigma associated with NRL players and the game of rugby league and we have great people working so very, very hard in the game particularly at a grassroots and semi-professional level, trying to address these problems and then these superstars ruin all that hard work with moments of stupidity. Rugby League needs to become more proactive and the investment into the education of players to bridge that gap between school and the big time needs to be a lot bigger and a lot better!

I know there's some contradictory points there, I know other people will have other opinions and see it differently to I, because naturally, this forum is a cross-section of society with different people who have different beliefs, motives, agendas, etc.

At the end of the day, Joel has done the wrong thing and it will haunt him for the rest of his life. He put himself in that position and needs to be accountable for himself and suffer the consequences of his actions.

Additionally the players and people involved in the taking of and distribution of the photo are in my opinion, just as bad. How dare they put their teammate in such a horrible position and sell him out like that. Regardless of what he did, no one should be selling him out like that. It's almost as disgusting as the actions of Joel himself. They too need to be accountable and suffer the consequences of their actions.

The NRL needs to stop reacting and start taking action now. The education systems for clubs and the NRL as a whole need to be invested into a lot more (and I don't just mean financially).

None of this is good enough.

drago brelli

Bench
He's given the term, 'dog is a man's best friend' a whole new meaning. Best thing he can do now is sign for Cronulla.