What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Forum

PrideKnight

Bench
astrogirl said:
IMO there have been some arrogant remarks made on this forum in recent times. Perhaps they did not intend to be intimidating, but on occasion they could be interpreted as such.

The point I am trying to make is that we all need to take care that when we post, we are fairly sure our point of view will not be misconstrued.

Its text astro, its very hard to inflect text.

the responsibility is on both parties, the poster to try and make it sound right, and the reader to try and contextualise it...

astrogirl

First Grade
PrideKnight said:
Its text astro, its very hard to inflect text.

the responsibility is on both parties, the poster to try and make it sound right, and the reader to try and contextualise it...
I think you are agreeing with me? but it also sounds like you are trying to have the last word in a debate???

I may be wrong, but I get the sense that you are having a dig at my personal point of view.

PrideKnight

Bench
astrogirl said:
I think you are agreeing with me? but it also sounds like you are trying to have the last word in a debate???

I may be wrong, but I get the sense that you are having a dig at my personal point of view.

:lol:

you just proved my point

it depends on the viewpoint of the reader as much as the poster, i wasnt really either, stating fact though, people read things how they wanna read them, its human nature

Johns Magic

Referee
PrideKnight said:
end of the day, the crusade started here in these forums

Now I've got nothing against the Crusade, far from it. I think it's a marvellous organisation and that what they do is fantastic not just as a group, but for the club.

But that quote really said something to me.

The Crusade started here in this forum. A whole bunch of people who all loved the Knights began posting on this forum and formed a bond. They got along great, had awesome footy-related discussion, and alot of laughs along the way, the whole time making new posters feel welcome. The way it was was perfect.

Why change that? Sure, you may need to organise things for the weekend, but why can't you do that via this forum, or if necessary through PM, msn or telephone? It's led to an almost complete neglection of this forum, effectively destroying alot of the attraction for new posters.

The Crusade thrived during the time it didn't have its own forum. I'm not saying it isn't now(I wouldn't know), but it's clear that the Crusade doesn't need its own forum to survive.

As much as you say it's not a clique(and I do know you guys don't mean for it to appear that way), and that anybody can join, how many new posters are going to come in and bother asking for access to the Crusade forum and inclusion into a group who they've had very little to do with? I know alot of the current Crusaders wouldn't have. Think of the possible friendships you're killing before they've even had the chance to begin.

By creating a private forum, it's almost as if you guys have said "Righto, here's our group, and we don't need anyone new." I struggle to see how our little community in here is going to continue to develop now that new posters who come in see that everyone is already best mates and have their own private forum. It's almost like the "popular" group at school, and I can see how it would intimidate new people, and make them feel as if their opinion isn't being valued as much as others'. Pride_Knight, Red And Blue Knight, CWB, Parki, Stranger, Gene, Jobdog, TKR, you were all new once, but you were given the opportunity to fit in and make a name for yourself. Imagine if you hadn't, you probably never would have met each other. Think about what you could be losing by not welcoming newcomers. Fun, life-long friends, even romances.

This forum has suffered greatly ever since the inception of a separate 'Crusade' forum. Maybe there's something I'm missing, I'm not pretending for a second that I know everything about the Crusade, but it really saddens me the way that this forum has regressed. Only a loyal few continue to post regularly due to lack of interest and activity.

I'm probably just being selfish, but I really wish the Crusade forum had never been created, or at least not to the extent that it has been. I just wish everything would go back to the way it was.

Parki

Bench
I think you make a very good point JM, and the solution lies in providing a balance

an indication of this is the fact that we are going to try and be more inclusive in terms of our social aspects of what we post, but once again it comes down to this point

there has to be give and take, from both sides.... maybe we have become too introverted within ourselves, and excluded people, which was totally not our point, but from my point of view its been forced upon us by various misconceptions and ideas from people. Ive already touched on it before this, so I dont want to go into it again

bottom line is this.... I asked it before, but ill ask it again. We are not going to give up our crusade forum as it forms the basis of everything we do. Realistically we have a lot of things in there that we need for us to survive as a group, that we dont want anybody else seeing, and im sorry if thats rude, thats just the way it is

That being said, what can we do to make things better? we are never going to get things back to the way they were, but maybe if we post a few more crusadey things in the social/footy parts of the forums, it might go a long way to ease the infighting?

just some suggestions

PrideKnight

Bench
i would also like to point out that at inception, i was asked not to post so much crusade stuff on the main forum...admittedly that was before the social forum, which was after the crusade one...if you follow my point...

Johns Magic

Referee
Parki said:
That being said, what can we do to make things better? we are never going to get things back to the way they were, but maybe if we post a few more crusadey things in the social/footy parts of the forums, it might go a long way to ease the infighting?

just some suggestions

Infighting is not the problem, only one or two posters seem to have a real problem with the Crusade, and I think these posters more dislike the group culture rather than the group itself.

The problem is the way you seem to have almost abandoned this forum. Having such a great amount of quality and regular posters leave has brought the forum to its knees, and I doubt it will ever recover.

I can appreciate the Crusade forum, but I don't think it's fair that you post almost exclusively in there. There has to be a balance.

Johns Magic said:
Infighting is not the problem, only one or two posters seem to have a real problem with the Crusade, and I think these posters more dislike the group culture rather than the group itself.

The problem is the way you seem to have almost abandoned this forum. Having such a great amount of quality and regular posters leave has brought the forum to its knees, and I doubt it will ever recover.

I can appreciate the Crusade forum, but I don't think it's fair that you post almost exclusively in there. There has to be a balance.

This sounds like a very fair point to me. I know that I for one haven't been posting much in the footy and social forums lately, and I will be trying to rectify this in the coming days and weeks.

TooheysNew

Coach
It's quite simple. The stuff that is in the Crusade forum is intended for the Crusade. It contains sensitive information that to be blunt, is no-one elses business.

There's a difference between wanting to know what's going on, and wanting a finger in the pie.

The sticky thread for Crusade news in the general forum is a great idea, but beyond that everything in the Crusade forum is not of general interest.

I'm not happy with the way the Crusade forum is at the moment, the biggest part being the Off topic behaviour, and I already have a few ideas that I am putting into place to help with this, but at the end of the day, it's intended to be a crusade forum for the information of crusade members. Not a social forum, not a general chat forum.

The intention is to use it as a tool to inform members of important events. It just needs the time taken to bring it back to that.

*melliez*

Juniors
I agree completely with you Tony.

I used to post heaps last year because I enjoyed the atmosphere around here, but then people just started picking fights with people (I admit I was probably guilty of this at some stage) and it made me stop enjoying posting as much as I used to. I mainly read and post while I am at work, and it Occasionally I have time at home, but it is as rare as hen's teeth and work isn't much better either, but usually I find fighting and whatnot and it just irritates me to no end so I get over it quickly.

Parki

Bench
It's quite simple. The stuff that is in the Crusade forum is intended for the Crusade. It contains sensitive information that to be blunt, is no-one elses business.

There's a difference between wanting to know what's going on, and wanting a finger in the pie.

The sticky thread for Crusade news in the general forum is a great idea, but beyond that everything in the Crusade forum is not of general interest.

I'm not happy with the way the Crusade forum is at the moment, the biggest part being the Off topic behaviour, and I already have a few ideas that I am putting into place to help with this, but at the end of the day, it's intended to be a crusade forum for the information of crusade members. Not a social forum, not a general chat forum.

The intention is to use it as a tool to inform members of important events. It just needs the time taken to bring it back to that.

the reason this has happened dilly, is because of what i outlined. When you get a group of people that would do anything for you (as you no doubt have witnessed) you tend to associate and accumulate around where everyone else is posting. If all my friends are posting in the crusade forum, and im going to be bashed from pillar to post outside it, i would rather associate where my friends are

thats not to say that its right, but thats a reason why all the social stuff has been accumulating in there. Its where we feel comfortable, and we know we arent going to get victimised, so we just err on the side of caution

maybe thats wrong, but thats the way it is right now, and we just need to try and change that. My stories for one will now go in the social forum, open to everybodys criticism, and i guess we should just take it upon ourselves to make sure that we get back to what we want, and that is talking football... not this kind of stuff that has seemed to unfortunately take up most of my afternoon

Johns Magic

Referee
Parki said:
the reason this has happened dilly, is because of what i outlined. When you get a group of people that would do anything for you (as you no doubt have witnessed) you tend to associate and accumulate around where everyone else is posting. If all my friends are posting in the crusade forum, and im going to be bashed from pillar to post outside it, i would rather associate where my friends are

thats not to say that its right, but thats a reason why all the social stuff has been accumulating in there. Its where we feel comfortable, and we know we arent going to get victimised, so we just err on the side of caution

maybe thats wrong, but thats the way it is right now, and we just need to try and change that. My stories for one will now go in the social forum, open to everybodys criticism, and i guess we should just take it upon ourselves to make sure that we get back to what we want, and that is talking football... not this kind of stuff that has seemed to unfortunately take up most of my afternoon

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say you've been "bashed from pillar to post" in this forum, I certainly never noticed it.

What you said is very true though. It can't just be individual Crusaders who make an effort to continue to post in here, it has to be a group effort. You just demonstrated that the vast majority of Crusaders post only in the Crusade forum, which is my point exactly.

I'm sure if you all made a concerted effort then it would be more than successful.

Frederick

Staff member
I just thought I'd pop in and say that I really have no beef with the Crusade having their own separate forum. I've met a few of you, and to me you seem like geniune people who are extrememly passionate about the Knights. And seeing as you're all located all over the place, it's understandable that contact details need to be given in order to organise trips to games, and therefore there is the need for the Crusade forum to be hidden from non-Crusaders. Which I'm fine with. I just go about posting any and all Knights-related articles I come across in the main forum for all to view and discuss.

TooheysNew

Coach
Exactly Fred, that's just how I invision it to work.

Social Forum - Non knights related talk
Knights Forum - Knights related talk
Crusade Forum - Crusade organisation ONLY.

Parki

Bench
it happened some time last year.... we all were excited about where the crusade was going, and naturally we went beserk about it, talking about it in everything we did. In hindsight this was probably wrong, but basically it lead to a mass revolt against all things crusadey, as PK said earlier "he was asked to take most of the crusade stuff away" which lead to a general feeling of discontent, and victimisation

small things if not fixed can lead to big things. as indicated here. and its lead to where we are now

as you indicated, it will take a group effort to fix this, but if we each take small steps, maybe we can try mend some bridges? im up for it, i dont like wearing my crusade jersey at games for fear of one of you recognising me and abusing me

it might be childish, but thats the way i feel..... i still wear it though :)

cram

Bench
I have been around on an off this forum and the old knights forum for some time now and I have had my disagreements and arguments with many.

One thing that particularly concerns me is the personal attacks on people.

Often when someone disagrees with someones point of view the attacks become personal we have a tendecny to play the man rather then the ball and most of us have been guilty of it.

I made this point to one of the Crusade and Forum Members just last Saturday.

I am not a member of the Crusade, however, I support its concept and have on several occassions now walked over to your seats and said G'Day to some of the Guys I have met before such as CWB and others I dont know have always said hello. In fact last Sunday my daughter came over with me and now wants to become one of the Crusade but at 12 years of age I am a bit worried about her being corrupted by some of the degenerates who belong to the crusade.....lol.

I agree with Tony about the forum it has become boring, stale and mundane and I guess we all could improve that by participating.

cram

Bench
PS I forgot to say my aim for this year is to reach 1000 posts, thats why I chose not to edit my last post.....lol

Stuzmeister

Juniors
Yeah I post as much as I can. Whenever I have an opinion on a posted thread, and if I find something amusing in the social thread. I'll also start one if I have a strong opinion about something or someone. I might try and get to 1000 posts by the end of the year as well. See how I go.

Only 898 to go.

Latest posts