What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P.j Marsh

True EEL

Bench
oh come on????

if Tim Smith was going to be P Sterling or A Johns he would have cracked first grade by now, he has been talked about for 2 years???? although BS is the coach??

settle with such comparisons

CrazyEel

Bench
I made no comparisons, just pointed out the flaw in your logic, which still stands. ;-)

As you have already stated you havn't seen Tim play you are not in a position to compare him but Johns hadn't cracked 1st grade at 18 either. And no, I'm not saying he's as good as Johns but I do believe he is better than Witt.

True EEL

Bench
look there is no flaw in my logic.....

Witt is the incumbent first grade Parra halfback - that is my point, although i have to concede that BS already made a sham out of such logic this year didn't he???

look, i'm past caring who it is, i just want a good halfback to play and be given a fair chance and no i haven't seen Tim Smith, but people complain about Witt being given praise and not showing much, but Smith as been around a bit now too and still hasn't come in???

but if he is as good as you say, well bring him on, its just why sign Witt for 4 years at age 19 and say he is the club's future in the halves or at halfback and then continually brush him and sign other halves?????

True EEL

Bench
and P Sterling and A Johns never started a season as "a new, untested halfback" but instead were thrown in throughout a season - much like Witt

although i could be wrong about Johns, i just forget now, but Sterlo was thrown on in a semi in 1980 or 81 at fullback?????

Rock_66

Juniors
eelavation said:
or we need is to have atleast one of those blokes step up and take the bull by the horns, he needs to show the arrogance of Finch, a neat passing game like Prince, take on the line Orford and a kicking game to rival Sherwin.

I'm obviously not expecting a Johns, however I do expect atleast one of the blokes to be the Man.

PJ Marsh
Michael Witt
Blake Green
Tim Smith
Marcus Peranara
and possibly Thomas Leualai

let the race begin. :D

Hopefuly Smith is good enough to find the best man. Then shows he is 100% behind his own choice, for more than a match or two.

First time for everything they say.

Parraren

Bench
Hopefuly Smith is good enough to find the best man. Then shows he is 100% behind his own choice, for more than a match or two.

First time for everything they say.

Going by some rumours it might not be Smith's choice though.

Stagger eel

Staff member
True EEL said:
and P Sterling and A Johns never started a season as "a new, untested halfback" but instead were thrown in throughout a season - much like Witt

although i could be wrong about Johns, i just forget now, but Sterlo was thrown on in a semi in 1980 or 81 at fullback?????

actually 1978 V Manly.

True EEL

Bench
u sure it was as early as 1978???

not trying to doubt you if you are sure, but i was pretty sure Sterlo didn't debut quite that early, but i could easily be wrong????

The Colonel

Immortal
http://rl1908.com/Legends/Sterling.htm

Based at the old Cumberland Oval, Sterling spent the 1978 season as 5/8th in the Eels' Under 23s before a spate of injuries saw him gain first grade selection in the semi-final replay against Manly as fullback.

Sterling played a few first grade games in 1979 before again being called up for a semi-final - this time against the Grand Final bound Canterbury. He was selected at 5/8th and team mate Arthur Beetson told all that: "Sterling is one of the most determined and mature players I've seen".

Eels coach for 1980 John Peard took Sterling aside in pre-season training and told him that his future at the club would be solely as a half-back. It was Peard's only season as Eels coach, but it proved to be a masterstroke. Respected rugby league writer Ian Heads saw the improvement in Sterling after only a handful of games in 1980: "There seems to be no reason why Sterling won't soon achieve a Kangaroo tour and play a vital cog in a Grand Final win for Parramatta".

Stagger eel

Staff member
Thanks Colnel,

I was gonna put my left testical on the line that I was right, but the Colnel beat me to it.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Suitman said:
I was there.

I could have vouched for it as well.

Suity

I'm Jealous!!

I think we lost that game too! thanks Hartley you gnome!

didn't Ray Price and Terry Randell get sent off???

Suitman

Post Whore
eelavation said:
Suitman said:
I was there.

I could have vouched for it as well.

Suity

I'm Jealous!!

I think we lost that game too! thanks Hartley you gnome!

didn't Ray Price and Terry Randell get sent off???

Couldn't confirm that. We are going back 26 years here. I do remember Sterlo being peppered by bombs. For a 17 year old making his semi-final debut in a foreign position, he did well though.And yes......it was the infamous "7 tackle match"

Suity

True EEL said:
look there is no flaw in my logic.....

Witt is the incumbent first grade Parra halfback - that is my point, although i have to concede that BS already made a sham out of such logic this year didn't he???

look, i'm past caring who it is, i just want a good halfback to play and be given a fair chance and no i haven't seen Tim Smith, but people complain about Witt being given praise and not showing much, but Smith as been around a bit now too and still hasn't come in???

but if he is as good as you say, well bring him on, its just why sign Witt for 4 years at age 19 and say he is the club's future in the halves or at halfback and then continually brush him and sign other halves?????

did they say that he was the future in the halves? or did everyone assume that?

Suitman

Post Whore
I remember hearing something along those lines.
Couldn't confirm who it came from though.

Suity

Blunty

Juniors
Well done if you have signed Marsh. He is a great player, it will do you wonders if he gets back on the field. Great for the game, because he is a proven Origin player. I would be playing him at 5/8 with Witt at half, and Morris off the bench for you guys. Just my oppinion though.

Latest posts