What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels forget Grand Final heartbreak to embrace fans, start Mad Monday

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,26167405-5003409,00.html

Parramatta Eels forget Grand Final heartbreak to embrace fans, start Mad Monday

By Rhys Haynes and Steve Gee | October 05, 2009 02:15pm

HUNDREDS of Eels fans today braved bleak weather to cheer on their Grand Final heroes as players toasted their remarkable season with Mad Monday celebrations.

After a night of commiserations following their 23-16 loss to the Storm, bleary-eyed Eels players were met with a hero’s reception when they arrived at Parramatta Stadium.

Earlier, some players turned up to Parramatta's Royal Oak Hotel stone-cold sober, while others arrived with a few under their belts and others appeared to celebrate the whole night through.

There were a few outlandish costumes, with Daniel Mortimer dressed as a female spanish dancer and Jeff Robson as a muscle-toned Mr Incredible.

Parramatta's cult prop Fuifui Moimoi was hogging the pool table inside, with Feleti Mateo looking on. Joe Galuvao turned up with a guitar, much to the delight of wives and girlfriends who were also enjoying the celebrations.

Star fullback Jarred Hayne and others including Eric Grothe Jr turned up to the pub just before noon as the players then changed into more appropriate attire and moved on to the stadium to greet fans.

Hayne, Moimoi and boom five-eighth Mortimer were the crowd favourites along with workhorse Nathan Hindmarsh as supporters turned out to say thanks for an unforgettable season.

Hayne, who admitted to the crowd that he’d lost his mobile phone over night, said that while the team was disappointed they were determined to go one step better next season.

"I just appreciate all the fans," he added. "2010 I will see you there."

Parramatta skipper Nathan Cayless, showing the effects of a long night, was also appreciative.

"Thanks for all you guys who came out tonight … today," he said, correcting himself.

Try-scoring hero Grothe showed that he had lost none of his humour despite the heartache of last night’s loss.

Asked about post-match commiserations, Grothe joked: "I just had a few waters to hydrate because I’m an athlete."

Proud fans were keen to praise the team despite their disappointment.

"We're just extremely proud," said Keith Zammit, from Oakville, who attended with daughter Sienna, 2, and cousin Brandon Grima, 8.

"We just came to say thanks for a great year.

"The kids love all the players."

Life-long Eels fan Stephen Kelly, 39 - at last night’s game to cheer on the Eels and watch 15-year-old daughter Natasha dance in the pre-match entertainment - said he was shattered.

But he added: "But I’m really proud of how far they’ve come.

"I think they have done really well even to make the Grand Final. It’s been a good week and they’ll be better for it next year."

fish eel

Immortal
Grothe was also asked what his Dad said him to last night. He tongue in cheek reply was 'sucked in, I won four'. I've got some photos, I'll upload a few.

fish eel

Immortal
the ever stylish Hindy
3982275595_d8b34c82cd.jpg

Lucky Matt Keating, he scored an autograph from Hayne on his cheek!
3982283777_da67f8a933.jpg

3983045112_0b6b6fdcd6.jpg

IFR33K

Coach
I took my family there today, to show the team support, after such a fine season.

My four year old was thankful and grateful, that the players took the time to sign autographs and pose for photos.

By far, the disappointment of the day, was when Jarryd, turned up late, and didn't acknowledge the crowd to well. He had a few words on stage, and spent no more then 10 minutes with the crowd.

As he headed to leave, the crowd now becoming restless, began chanting, "we want Jarryd, we want Jarryd". To my bewilderment, and the bewilderment of others, he left.

Now, I don't know what the plans were for the rest of the day, but surely he could of stayed for at least an hour. He was by far the most arrogant player there. Every player, that I requested a photo with, was more then happy to oblige.

My cousin told me a similar story on the open training session on the Monday. She was waiting for players to exist the staduim, as they were happy to sign autographs. Jarryd waited for a few moments, as the players existed the stadium, then done the bolt....not stopping for 1 fan.

Now this kid is entitled to do as he pleases, but he must remember, that the paying fans, are the ones that contribute toward their wages. The senoir players, went out of there way, to ensure the fans were happy, why couldnt Jarryd. Hopefully one of his team mates will tell him to pull his head in.

Luke Burt is a champion. The guy spoke to everyone, and was very friendly. Well Done.

If you see the way Danial Mortimer walks, you will swear the kid will win 3 premierships. He is only a small fella, but there is an aura about him. He seems to have so much charisma and confidence.

When I asked him about his future at the eels, his response was, I love it here, and wont go anywhere. Hopefully he has a few years left in him at the eels.

xxkirst

Juniors
i went today. most of the players were really friendly. noteable mention was jonathan wright - cracking jokes and such. also good to see like luke burt, todd lowrie, jeff robson and many others signing and posing with photos for everyone.
fuifui and daniel never came down the opposite end from where they entered. :(
hindy and hayne did brief signings.

grapeape

Juniors
By far, the disappointment of the day, was when Jarryd, turned up late, and didn't acknowledge the crowd to well. He had a few words on stage, and spent no more then 10 minutes with the crowd.

Now, I don't know what the plans were for the rest of the day, but surely he could of stayed for at least an hour. He was by far the most arrogant player there. Every player, that I requested a photo with, was more then happy to oblige.

i think its fair to criticise players in field performance, but not the off field personality.

Hes had enough of acknowledging thousands of people, probably slept little. give him a break u slug.

if u saw him taking to everyone at the post game function at parra leagues last nite, u would see hes a nice bloke. stop bitching about people. talk about footy.

Avenger

Immortal
If you see the way Danial Mortimer walks, you will swear the kid will win 3 premierships. He is only a small fella, but there is an aura about him. He seems to have so much charisma and confidence.

When I asked him about his future at the eels, his response was, I love it here, and wont go anywhere. Hopefully he has a few years left in him at the eels.

Music to my ears.

Nikki

Coach
i went today. most of the players were really friendly. noteable mention was jonathan wright - cracking jokes and such. also good to see like luke burt, todd lowrie, jeff robson and many others signing and posing with photos for everyone.
fuifui and daniel never came down the opposite end from where they entered. :(
hindy and hayne did brief signings.

Jono and Joel and Krissy were the last ones there. When I wandered up to see Jono I heard him asking nearly every kid who he signed an autograph for their name and having lil chats with them. Loves a chat does our Jono.

mickdo

Coach
At the post match at the ground last night, Jarryd stayed behind with Hindy and Burty (I think) after all the other players, and then did a full walk along the crowd shaking hands with everyone (which only he and Hindy did IIRC). He puts in plenty of time for the fans. Don't judge him on one event.

Last edited:

Parra Guru

Coach
IFR33K,

I too have found Jarryd to be a little arrogant, however don't crucify him on this alone. It was a big night for all of them, and I'm sure you will get your chance again, when he's sober.

Brenno75

Juniors
The boys just lost the grandfinal! We all feel gutted, but these boys were out thre busting their balls for over 30 weeks not to mention the pre season! How do you think they feel. It would been hard for them last night and will be for a while.

Nikki

Coach
And once the official Auditorium function finished up, the boys made their way into Sterlos. Jarryd made himself available as much as the others. But I must say, people showed alot of respect IMO by just letting him be. So much so that he fell asleep with his beer in his hand. Must say, he's been talking up how Fiji changed him, I was quite disapointed he didnt provide the Kava! :lol:

grapeape

Juniors
i can understand why players dont wanna be around ppl ... cause they always find something wrong and something to complain about.

a fan didnt get one-on-one time ... what next?!?!

sooky f**k

I took my family there today, to show the team support, after such a fine season.

My four year old was thankful and grateful, that the players took the time to sign autographs and pose for photos.

As he headed to leave, the crowd now becoming restless, began chanting, "we want Jarryd, we want Jarryd". To my bewilderment, and the bewilderment of others, he left.

My cousin told me a similar story on the open training session on the Monday. She was waiting for players to exist the staduim, as they were happy to sign autographs. Jarryd waited for a few moments, as the players existed the stadium, then done the bolt....not stopping for 1 fan.

Now this kid is entitled to do as he pleases, but he must remember, that the paying fans, are the ones that contribute toward their wages. The senoir players, went out of there way, to ensure the fans were happy, why couldnt Jarryd. Hopefully one of his team mates will tell him to pull his head in.

Luke Burt is a champion. The guy spoke to everyone, and was very friendly. Well Done.

Totally agree with you here, burt, mannah and inu were fantastic, qst there and last to leave, HE DOES THIS CLUB PROUD. I can understand being hung over and the like, but you have fans who have travelled over 3 hours (like me) to see them and congradulate them, he is the franchise player and SHOULD have done more. The rest of the team did their bit by signing autographs and my daughter was so thankful.

There were alot of people there, but at least sign more than 20 odd autographs, if the others cans do it why cant they. Apart from that it was a good day and am very proud of what the boys have achieved this year.

I also ask kingo and robson if we had signed them for next year and both were very positive about staying, excellent news in my opinion. The majority of nexts years team could be the same and know also what a loss is like in the GF. Will drive them harder for next year.

What a great atmosphere at the GF with a majority of eels fans, glad i went.

i can understand why players dont wanna be around ppl ... cause they always find something wrong and something to complain about.

a fan didnt get one-on-one time ... what next?!?!

sooky f**k

I think you're a bit harsh there mate, we dont get the same access as other people to the players, i understand that they may of been good after the game at after party functions but not everyone can get to those, or even have that much contact with them. I wasnt expecting a one on one meet and greet, and understand they were a little under the weather (as were we) but more like what Burt and co did. They took the time at the FAN DAY for the fans, and to turn up late and not spend time providing autographs for people who had spent their hard earn cash of supporter gear, and took the time to line up and thank the players for a great ride throughout the season should at least get something.

mickdo

Coach
I think you're a bit harsh there mate, we dont get the same access as other people to the players, i understand that they may of been good after the game at after party functions but not everyone can get to those, or even have that much contact with them. I wasnt expecting a one on one meet and greet, and understand they were a little under the weather (as were we) but more like what Burt and co did. They took the time at the FAN DAY for the fans, and to turn up late and not spend time providing autographs for people who had spent their hard earn cash of supporter gear, and took the time to line up and thank the players for a great ride throughout the season should at least get something.

Sorry, but it just sounds like a bit of a whinge to me...

fish eel

Immortal
People are quick to bag the players, but TBH, some of our fans that I saw yesterday at the Stadium - the players did well not to tell them to f**k off.

Call Jarryd Hayne arrogant, there was nothing more arrogant than this woman I saw trying to lean over the fence (even though there were kids between here and the fence!) waving TWO jerseys barking 'Jarryd sing these two jerseys. These two jerserys sign them Jarryd'.

Then there was that clown who had a jersey - but had something hard stuffed down it and stretched the jersey out (obviously so she had something hard for them to sign on),waving this thing around donking people on the head. I could go on and on.

If anyone is going to criticise the players for not signing as much as you'd like, you should also take them time to criticise the greedy, rude, obnoxious fans who never have enough, show no gratitude and ruin it for other people.

mickdo

Coach
If anyone is going to criticise the players for not signing as much as you'd like, you should also take them time to criticise the greedy, rude, obnoxious fans who never have enough, show no gratitude and ruin it for other people.

...and who then sell it on ebay anyway