What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels preparing $2.1 million raid for Penrith Panthers forward Luke Lewis

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Frankly, I think it would go further to proving his incompetence as a first grade coach, in particular a lack man management skills and tactical nous, if another coach were to walk straight in and get a lot better out of this mob.

Next year's squad isn't this year squad.

Most of the players that will be here next year will have the benefit of a year's experience (a big deal for inexperienced players) and a year's growth for the young guys.

That will improve our squad massively, especially as so many of next year's squad are young and inexperienced this year.

IFR33K

Coach
Honestly, I think the team is playing their best. There's no magic bullet, whether tactics or motivation, that will get rookies to play smarter, or weaker/slower players to compete physically.

So u r happy with the coaching and the way the team is playing.

So u r happy with the coaching and the way the team is playing.

Dunno about Pou, but I'm not happy about the way the team is playing....but I just don't know how much of this is down to the coach...maybe all of it....maybe not much of it. All most of us get to observe is what happens on the field. Some things suggest poor coaching...but they are n't 100% proof of it. It might make us feel better to think that it is largely the coach (and maybe it is?), but I've got an open mind on this.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Dunno about Pou, but I'm not happy about the way the team is playing....but I just don't know how much of this is down to the coach...maybe all of it....maybe not much of it. All most of us get to observe is what happens on the field. Some things suggest poor coaching...but they are n't 100% proof of it. It might make us feel better to think that it is largely the coach (and maybe it is?), but I've got an open mind on this.

This.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why do you reckon it is mate?

Young players making poor decisions, e.g. Sio contesting bombs he shouldn't. This isn't a coaching issue - the player knows as well as the rest of us slobs watching at home that he shouldn't risk an error going for those, but out on the field he has a blood rush and takes the wrong option. That will only improve with experience.

Then there's old, weak players (and young, weak players) falling off tackles and failing to slow down the play-the-ball. Likewise in attack too many of our kids and oldies don't have the strength to break tackles or push off defenders and get the pass away.

All this contributes to players not trusting themselves or their teammates to do what's required and making basic errors.

f**k knows how the coach should be able to fix any of that other than telling them to not make any errors in our own half and keeping the ball down the other end of the field.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I agree in part with what Pou is saying about the coach may not be the only problem but what are they training to do? I suspect that the gameplan is not much different to what we are producing.

Noise

Coach
i also agree with some of what pou is saying. I also think Kearney (or is it nolans?) recruiting this year has been terrible. The 2 tongas, roberts, sandow have not worked. Blaire is going ok for a rookie. Kearney has not got the best out of them. What other team has had every one of their new players dropped to nsw cup? (well tonga got a reprieve when hayne was injured)

I'm confused?

About which bit? The Mares/Grothe thing?

Decided they didn't like Grothe's car too much. Decided to throw a petrol bomb at it in Pennant Hills one day (actually I think they tried a few times unsuccessfully before finally setting it alight). I think Mares got into a bit of trouble for this.

IFR33K

Coach
i also agree with some of what pou is saying. I also think Kearney (or is it nolans?) recruiting this year has been terrible. The 2 tongas, roberts, sandow have not worked. Blaire is going ok for a rookie. Kearney has not got the best out of them. What other team has had every one of their new players dropped to nsw cup? (well tonga got a reprieve when hayne was injured)

Can't fault what you are saying. SK is failing to get the best out of our players. I can't see him being able to get the best out of them in 2013. Next

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Are they training to push up and look for the short passes at the line?

The coach was known for his offloading ability when he played. I'd say he remembers how important it is to support the ball carrier.

Remember, most players aren't fit enough to support on every play. This is what makes Billy Slater so good.

So supporting one play usually means you're taking yourself out of the next one. Players aren't making good decisions about when to support and when to set up for the next play. Don't forget we have brand new halves plus Paulo (playing like a half), plus last night our hooker was only playing his second game in first grade.