What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels preparing $2.1 million raid for Penrith Panthers forward Luke Lewis

IFR33K

Coach
The coach was known for his offloading ability when he played. I'd say he remembers how important it is to support the ball carrier.

Remember, most players aren't fit enough to support on every play. This is what makes Billy Slater so good.

So supporting one play usually means you're taking yourself out of the next one. Players aren't making good decisions about when to support and when to set up for the next play. Don't forget we have brand new halves plus Paulo (playing like a half), plus last night our hooker was only playing his second game in first grade.

Yep, supporting the runner is a waste. Anyway we may not be fit enough to support the ball carrier.

We are better off getting Hindy and moi moi running one out into a wall and getting dominated. This leads to slow play the balls. We should then repeat for the following for four tackles.

Now that's a game plan.

IFR33K

Coach
There's plenty of supporting the ball carrier. It just doesn't fool the opposition because our props can't pass.

Fui and Hindy offloaded well in 09, can't see why they can't pass before the line. I know Hindy has done so, in a couple of games.

It wouldn't be too hard to get the forwards running in pairs, and occasionally popping a short pass.

I just think SK wants them to play the percentages, and not give away cheap possession.

Come to think of it, I don't think the dogs forwards were known for their passing game last year. Hasler just knows what works. The man deserves credit, a great league brain.

Last edited:
Fui and Hindy offloaded well in 09, can't see why they can't pass before the line. I know Hindy has done so, in a couple of games.

n.

It's a bit of a different skill though, isn't it? Not saying they can't learn, but being able to pop an offload while standing in a tackle tests different abilities to passing while running hard at the line.

IFR33K

Coach
It's a bit of a different skill though, isn't it? Not saying they can't learn, but being able to pop an offload while standing in a tackle tests different abilities to passing while running hard at the line.

Yes it is. Not asking them to throw cut out passes to the wingers, but just a short passing game to ask a few questions of the defense.

Eels Dude

Coach

First step is getting them to train to do it... which I highly doubt Kearney is.

Pig Mouth

Juniors
599886_10150909147716809_901952400_n.jpg

strider

Post Whore
Young players making poor decisions, e.g. Sio contesting bombs he shouldn't. This isn't a coaching issue - the player knows as well as the rest of us slobs watching at home that he shouldn't risk an error going for those, but out on the field he has a blood rush and takes the wrong option. That will only improve with experience.

Then there's old, weak players (and young, weak players) falling off tackles and failing to slow down the play-the-ball. Likewise in attack too many of our kids and oldies don't have the strength to break tackles or push off defenders and get the pass away.

All this contributes to players not trusting themselves or their teammates to do what's required and making basic errors.

f**k knows how the coach should be able to fix any of that other than telling them to not make any errors in our own half and keeping the ball down the other end of the field.

yes one day he'll be as wise as Luke Burt and not go for those kicks ..... its hilarious how Burt is a softcock for not going for those same kicks, yet Sio is young and inexperienced and shouldn't be going for them - like Burt doesn't, oh hang on then Sio would surely be a softcock too

fact is players are now coached not to go for those kicks unless absolutely necessary - players from all teams - even hte good ones

First step is getting them to train to do it... which I highly doubt Kearney is.

As per my earlier post.....how the f#$# would we know what skills training they do? Maybe you have better info than me (to be fair it would be hard to have worse info than me).

We observe what happens on the field, which is affected by coaching/training, the players' innate abilities / effort, the opposition, and a fair bit or random shit that occurs on any particular occasion. Coaching may well be to blame for our fortunes....I just don't get how people are so sure that this is the problem. Happy to concede that some people may have better 'inside' info than me....maybe I'm talking shit, but I'm not embarassed to say that I don't think the cause of our problems is as obvious as most people think it is.

Eels Dude

Coach
As per my earlier post.....how the f#$# would we know what skills training they do? Maybe you have better info than me (to be fair it would be hard to have worse info than me).

I make the assumption because we never do it in matches. Not only do we never do it, but we never even attempt or even try such plays which leads me to think we don't train for it, or if we do train for it we obviously don't train for it enough. Given how poor we are in that department we should devote an entire day's training session to them doing something which is a basic fundamental of modern day rugby league. Don't let them go home until they master it. We're not going to start winning games until we get a roll on in the forwards and test and tire the defence by having the forwards work together instead of this continual one dimensional stuff.

I make the assumption because we never do it in matches. Not only do we never do it, but we never even attempt or even try such plays which leads me to think we don't train for it, or if we do train for it we obviously don't train for it enough. Given how poor we are in that department we should devote an entire day's training session to them doing something which is a basic fundamental of modern day rugby league. Don't let them go home until they master it. We're not going to start winning games until we get a roll on in the forwards and test and tire the defence by having the forwards work together instead of this continual one dimensional stuff.

Look, you're probably right. I'd just say that it is similarly plausible that we do cover certain skill sets in training, but they become redundant when we don't time our runs / get quick play the balls / clear dummy half etc in real game time. I realise this all becomes circular (why don't play the ball quickly....coz we ran one out and got smashed). Honestly, we don't have the players to do particularly well this year. This doesn't mean that better coaching wouldn't have improved things...but I'm unconvinced that this is our biggest problem. I would perfectly understand if SK get the sack tomorrow. Can just see us going round and round in the same circles.

PS.
I visited Perth for work last month. Maybe that has affected my thinking.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
yes one day he'll be as wise as Luke Burt and not go for those kicks ..... its hilarious how Burt is a softcock for not going for those same kicks, yet Sio is young and inexperienced and shouldn't be going for them - like Burt doesn't, oh hang on then Sio would surely be a softcock too

No, Burt's a softcock because when he plays wing he only makes 70 metres a game. Sio makes 120+ metres every week, he's hungry for the ball and he's fearless in his runs. He also puts his body on the line in defence.

fact is players are now coached not to go for those kicks unless absolutely necessary - players from all teams - even hte good ones

I never criticised Burt for not going for bombs. Most of the time letting it bounce is better than the risk of knocking it on near your tryline. Everyone knows that.