What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels prop Peni Terepo turns down chance to join Melbourne Storm

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta Eels prop Peni Terepo turns down chance to join Melbourne Storm

053258-peni-terepo.jpg

Happy at Parra: Peni Terepo has knocked back a Melbourne offer to stay with the Eels. Picture: Brett Costello Source: The Daily Telegraph

MEET the 20-year-old butcher who knocked back the golden chance to play under Melbourne master coach Craig Bellamy.

Softly spoken giant Peni Terepo decided instead to stick with Parramatta, a club in the doldrums.
Although there are three weeks of the season remaining, Eels officials are continuing to plan for next year by signing rampaging prop Terepo to a new two-year deal.
After being left red-faced by the failed recruitment of ageing trio Chris Walker, Carl Webb and Paul Whatuira - who have all since retired - the club is determined to pin its hopes on youth.

Terepo is part of the Eels' generation next, which includes Jacob Loko, Taniela Lasalo, Ryan Morgan, Pat O'Hanlon, Rory Brein and Matty Eisenhuth.
Terepo, who has produced some big hits in the Toyota Cup this season, was tempted to join the Storm.
"Melbourne offered me a one-year deal, but the people I've met at Parramatta, and other people outside of footy, I wanted to stay," Terepo said.
"I grew up in south Auckland and it was a pretty tough life. There was a lot of fighting, trouble and violence. I tried to stay away from the trouble that could have taken me away from what I was looking for and trying to achieve.
"Parramatta is like a second home now, and seeing players like Jacob Loko and Pat O'Hanlon, guys I played with in the Toyota Cup, I'd love to play with them and get up there [NRL] as well.
"I can see the change Steve Kearney and his boys have brought to the club. It's all positive and you can see the club improving."
Coach Kearney has spoken about the Eels moving forward during the countless press conferences he has fronted in his first season.
Terepo, who is also in the second year of his butcher's apprenticeship, has already been thrown into the NSW Cup in a bid to season him against bigger opponents.
Some say the 183cm, 106kg Terepo runs hard and hits like Fuifui Moimoi, the cult hero the youngster would love to model his game around.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Great news!!! From what I have seen of him he could be Fui mark II. And he turned down an offer from Melbourne shows me the club isn't going as bad as some would have you believe.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Yeah, I knocked them back when they offered me a 1 year deal too - if they can't give me 3 years, forget it!

Yeah not worth a young bloke moving interstate for one year. He is doing his butchers apprenticeship and wouldn't be on much money anyway.

Bigfella

Coach
Those telegraph merkins love sticking the boot in to is don't they.

Why us the red faced shit necessary to this article?

Gronk

Staff member
Those telegraph merkins love sticking the boot in to is don't they.

Why us the red faced shit necessary to this article?

It's not even a story TBH. A NYC player who has played 5 games in NSW cup. These players are a dime a dozen. Not really newsworthy.

Utey

Coach
A good player, but I haven't seen enough of him to see whether he can really be effective at NRL level.

The Omen

Juniors
happy with this signing for 2 reasons

1. Been a fan of this guy all season (even though i didn't know his name until recently)

2. He is YOUNG and shows some good signs of being a future NRL player (hopefully for Parra aswell)

Eelementary

Post Whore
"Terepo is part of the Eels' generation next, which includes Jacob Loko, Taniela Lasalo, Ryan Morgan, Pat O'Hanlon, Rory Brein and Matty Eisenhuth."

Gee, there's some talent in that group. I know, I know - Lasalo and Morgan are scapegoats here. But they're both young and if they keep improving, they could achieve anything.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
excellent news, SK did say we want to develop our juniors rather than become feed club for other clubs

maybe now he is putting his words into actions, most players would have jumped at a chance to play for Melbourne

born an eel

Bench
excellent news, SK did say we want to develop our juniors rather than become feed club for other clubs

maybe now he is putting his words into actions, most players would have jumped at a chance to play for Melbourne
while it is good news, his next contract will be the more noteworthing one.

He is still being developed and we wont see the results for at least a year.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Great news both he and PJ Asiata carry that side in the forwards. So much work and they have an impact on the defensive line.

I think he is not quite in the Fui mould, he has the potential to be more like an Adam Blair with the footwork at the line.