What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

chiefy1

Juniors
So apparently the first training session at Bankwest is this (Saturday), the captain's run before the raiders game. Also said there'll be high pressure on the team to do well @ Bankwest .
He also mentioned there was some things he'll never do again, in relation to improving the relationship between staff and players when asked about the lessons he's learnt from 2017

Bazal

Post Whore
Just on playing surfaces and stadium rebuilds, I really wish the SCG Trust would come out and shut down this disgraceful whinging about the SCG surface.

All the soccer, RL and RU numpties moaning in the media are just giving the AFL ammunition to pressure the SCG into creating another lifeless, sluggish surface that will kill any cricket matches played there. They already have issues with the pitch needing to be rejuvenated, the last thing they need is a placid drop-in and an outfield slower than custard like the MCG has to churn out thanks to the AFL.

People need to realise it is a cricket ground. Even without being cut for cricket, the grass is sparser and shorter than a surface built for winter sports. The surface doesn't need to be prepared for heavy stud traffic, it needs to be prepared so that a cricket ball can physically reach the boundary. That means a different surface. You'd struggle to hit a four along the ground to the side boundaries at a rugby ground FFS. It also means a more delicate surface which therefore needs a less dense base for faster drainage. It works ok for AFL because they only play like ten games a year there, but it's not built for this much traffic.

Simply put, it's not designed for regular soccer, RL, or RU anymore and nor should it be. It is a CRICKET ground.

But they won't say anything, because that would mean admitting they bit off more than they could chew by holding Allianz residents to their contracts using the SCG instead. I just hope this doesn't make the cave to the AFL for PR reasons.

Gronk

Staff member
Just on playing surfaces and stadium rebuilds, I really wish the SCG Trust would come out and shut down this disgraceful whinging about the SCG surface.

All the soccer, RL and RU numpties moaning in the media are just giving the AFL ammunition to pressure the SCG into creating another lifeless, sluggish surface that will kill any cricket matches played there. They already have issues with the pitch needing to be rejuvenated, the last thing they need is a placid drop-in and an outfield slower than custard like the MCG has to churn out thanks to the AFL.

People need to realise it is a cricket ground. Even without being cut for cricket, the grass is sparser and shorter than a surface built for winter sports. The surface doesn't need to be prepared for heavy stud traffic, it needs to be prepared so that a cricket ball can physically reach the boundary. That means a different surface. You'd struggle to hit a four along the ground to the side boundaries at a rugby ground FFS. It also means a more delicate surface which therefore needs a less dense base for faster drainage. It works ok for AFL because they only play like ten games a year there, but it's not built for this much traffic.

Simply put, it's not designed for regular soccer, RL, or RU anymore and nor should it be. It is a CRICKET ground.

But they won't say anything, because that would mean admitting they bit off more than they could chew by holding Allianz residents to their contracts using the SCG instead. I just hope this doesn't make the cave to the AFL for PR reasons.

History says hi. it's an overuse problem, not a code problem.

071365_inset.jpg

Bazal

Post Whore
History says hi. it's an overuse problem, not a code problem.

071365_inset.jpg

Did you even read my post? That's a hindy level response mate

THE POST YOU QUOTED said:
Simply put, it's not designed for regular soccer, RL, or RU anymore and nor should it be.

Base level reading and comprehension skills say hi!

Unless, of course, you're attempting to suggest that grounds-keeping and the way grounds are prepared and used for professional sport hasn't changed since the 1920s or whenever?

Gronk

Staff member
Did you even read my post? That's a hindy level response mate

Base level reading and comprehension skills say hi!

Unless, of course, you're attempting to suggest that grounds-keeping and the way grounds are prepared and used for professional sport hasn't changed since the 1920s or whenever?

What I was saying is that before the SFS was built the game was shared between winter and summer sports. Rugby Union and Rugby League test matches were played there plus all the NSWRL finals games.

Yes turf technology has changed and probably different grasses are more specialized for a particular code, but I maintain that the ground is just being overused right now. The number of winter ball sports games has increased significantly and I don't think any ground could cop it.

The SCG trust are lunatics for even attempting to host SFC, Roosters, Waratahs & Swans all on the ground at the same time without totally tearing up the wicket and laying down some decent footy turf.

Anyway they have f**ked it up and every team is now looking elsewhere or at least testing the contracts legally to see if they can shift the games. IIRC the Roosters received $squillion compensation to play there. I am sure they wont be keen on giving some of it back.

Bazal

Post Whore
What I was saying is that before the SFS was built the game was shared between winter and summer sports. Rugby Union and Rugby League test matches were played there plus all the NSWRL finals games.

Yes turf technology has changed and probably different grasses are more specialized for a particular code, but I maintain that the ground is just being overused right now. The number of winter ball sports games has increased significantly and I don't think any ground could cop it.

The SCG trust are lunatics for even attempting to host SFC, Roosters, Waratahs & Swans all on the ground at the same time without totally tearing up the wicket and laying down some decent footy turf.

Anyway they have f**ked it up and every team is now looking elsewhere or at least testing the contracts legally to see if they can shift the games. IIRC the Roosters received $squillion compensation to play there. I am sure they wont be keen on giving some of it back.

You are literally saying what I said, just in your own way.

It is not suitable for regular "winter" sports use.

And nor should it have to be at the expense of marquee cricket match quality

Gronk

Staff member
You are literally saying what I said, just in your own way.

It is not suitable for regular "winter" sports use.

And nor should it have to be at the expense of marquee cricket match quality

How many marquee cricket games are played on the SCG per season ?

strider

Post Whore

How much is it being used? ..... it ripped apart the first Super Rugby game played there ... prior to that there was what?

Its obviously a soft base not up to rugby codes

Bazal

Post Whore
How many marquee cricket games are played on the SCG per season ?

How many marquee any other sport matches are played there, with 100% certainty, in any given season? Given that only 2 of the top 15 attendances EVER (EDIT should have specified in terms of attendance being properly recorded) at the SCG are for AFL, I'd suggest not very many.

The only marquee match the SCG can count on is the SCG test. It's also the only one with meaningful national and global exposure and by far the biggest match on their calendar.

Pretty simple. And pretty much irrelevant, because you cannot redesign the entire surface in the few weeks between the BBL ending and the AFL/NRL/RU/Soccer using the ground anyway.

So, again, unless you do what the MCG has done and bow to the AFL, creating a playing surface that is barely grade cricket standard at the expense of biggest match on your calendar, then the playing surface will be what it is for cricket. And so far the SCG trust have refused to do that, and rightly so.

Of course they've backed themselves into a corner, which is why I would hope they would address the idiots moaning about it and just cop that they have bitten off more than they can chew. They have created a PR nightmare which the AFL will milk for all the leverage they can.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
How much is it being used? ..... it ripped apart the first Super Rugby game played there ... prior to that there was what?

Its obviously a soft base not up to rugby codes

If you can play AFL on it for a decade +, then you can play soccer on it. I find it unlikely that the battering that the grass gets on Adelaide Oval, Gabba. Optus Stadium from AFL codes are any different to a random NRL match. I don't recall merkins complaining about the surface when heritage round are played at the SCG (Souths vs Roosters or Balmain etc).

Agree that Super Rugby tore the crap out of it. IMHO (and I know my Sir Walter so don't @ me) it was fresh turf and was not ready for Rugby.

North Sydney Oval is nice, it seems to endure heaps of different codes and gets Sheffield Shield and ladies cricket. How does it cope ?

Latest posts