What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith v parradontmatter

Original Name

Juniors
Penrith halfback Nathan Cleary said he felt the side picked up where they left off last season after overcoming arch-rivals Parramatta 16-6 in a high-intensity trial game at Panthers Stadium.

With both western Sydney clubs fielding near full-strength teams for their only trial before round one, Cleary and recently re-signed halves partner Jarome Luai crossed for tries either side of half-time to build a 12-0 lead.
From there the Panthers displayed the sort of defence which led them to last year's grand final, showing no signs of a 2020 hangover leading into their season opener against the Cowboys on March 13.

"It was a good first trial to have that intensity against a good Parra side," Cleary said.

"The pre-season we've had has built into this, we've laid the foundation to kick off where we wanted to.

"We can probably still get a bit better in attack but I thought we defended well."

Cleary stepped out alongside a new-look right edge that included Maroons representative Kurt Capewell, new recruit Paul Momirovski and rising sensation Charlie Staines.

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary said Capewell was likely to start in the back row in round one ahead of Liam Martin, who came off the bench.

"Kurt started out there last year," Cleary said. "We'll have to rotate our three back-rowers early in the season.

"Marto will do a bit of work in the middle but that's nothing new."

Panthers hooker Api Koroisau was also at his weaving best to set up Cleary's try in the second half and prove a handful through the middle.

Both teams blew off the cobwebs with end-to-end play in the opening half before Luai lit up the left edge with a typical light-footed effort to step inside two defenders on his way to the line.

"I thought the first half was at a good speed, it was good practice," coach Cleary said.

"Most of our team is the same but as a coach, it's always nice. You feel like programs are going well and you're doing everything right but you still need to see them play.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/27/panthers-take-early-bragging-rights-over-rivals-eels/

Original Name

Juniors
Looks like Martin will start off the bench taking some minutes away from Yeo, note he said our three backrower pretty much confirming he has no desire to play Martin at prop. May coming in for Yeo was usually his job so I wonder where this puts him.

betcats

Referee
I made rather simple observations around our own Dylan Edwards, defending him for the most part.

I also suggested ball playing and passing ability are not necessarily one and the same.

The games elite full backs in Tedesco, RTS, Tommy T, Latrell Mitchell are predominantly explosive athletes and those on the rung below including our own Dylan are largely of the same skill set just not at the same level.

I don’t see to many of the current fullbacks creating opportunities for others as play makers there strengths evolve from an entirely different skill set, power and pace to name a few. Being able to make a pass is a desirable attribute, it let us down a few times this evening, the final pass.

Mate Latrel rts and tommy turbo have skill sets that are well advanced on Edwards. Latrel and turbo are f**kjng genuine ball players and have some absolute magic in their passing game. Latrel showed it off tonight. If you think Edwards plays like Latrel or tommy turbo then your bias has gone to ridiculous levels. Just because they are great athletes doesn’t mean they don’t have great passing abilities. Edwards is poor passer compared to any of the fullbacks you have mentioned in this thread, some are ball players some are not but they all are much better passers than Edwards at least.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
How good was watching Griffin's hapless Dragons earlier?

No comeback this time, Anthony.
He'll be a success if he gets them into the 8. To get into the 8 you don't have to beat top 8 sides, as the Sharks showed last year. This was a side likely to contend for the premiership that lapped them, an entirely expected outcome. Griffin needs to target the Broncos, Tigers, Bulldogs, sides like that. If he can't beat them, well he's in for a long year.

betcats

Referee
He'll be a success if he gets them into the 8. To get into the 8 you don't have to beat top 8 sides, as the Sharks showed last year. This was a side likely to contend for the premiership that lapped them, an entirely expected outcome. Griffin needs to target the Broncos, Tigers, Bulldogs, sides like that. If he can't beat them, well he's in for a long year.

They aren’t getting close to the 8 based on their pathetic defence yesterday. Their best side gave up 32 points on the first half. If that is expected then they are well and truly shithouse

betcats

Referee
Looking at their forward pack it’s really nowhere near good enough which is not hooks fault but it’s going to tough for him to get much improvement out of them with a weak forward pack like that.

Another thing I want to mention out of tonight’s game, Jarome Luai reminds me so much of Preston Campbell in terms of being that point of difference in attack for our side - the unpredictability that not many will be able to really coach against. So much of his game is based on eyes up footy and playing what he sees in front of him the same way Preston did for us (especially in 03). The double left foot step for his try tonight was so good to watch.

I can’t remember which poster made this comment but a few seasons ago, it was mentioned that we were missing an X-factor. Someone with unpredictability in the Preston mold.

We finally have our X-factor in Romey :thumbsup:

betcats

Referee
I can’t remember which poster made this comment but a few seasons ago, it was mentioned that we were missing an X-factor. Someone with unpredictability in the Preston mold.

We finally have our X-factor in Romey :thumbsup:

The way he was looking to run the ball last night has me excited. He looked like he has put some weight on to, his defensive looked strong he was throwing himself into it a bit more o thought.

Edit: Jerome is definitely in the Preston mold but I’m not sure if I’ve seen anyone with footwork quite like Luai’s, he’s just a bit different the stepping he did on that try was just ridiculous, it’s to fast to keep up with just watching from home.

The way he was looking to run the ball last night has me excited. He looked like he has put some weight on to, his defensive looked strong he was throwing himself into it a bit more o thought.

Edit: Jerome is definitely in the Preston mold but I’m not sure if I’ve seen anyone with footwork quite like Luai’s, he’s just a bit different the stepping he did on that try was just ridiculous, it’s to fast to keep up with just watching from home.

Romey definitely looks like he’s bulked up. From where I was sitting in the upper level of the Eastern Grandstand, it was hard at times to tell him apart from To’o!!

panthersam

Juniors
Our defence was fantastic, Staines and momorovski got tested but looked very strong. They complemented each other well.
Martin was great, kikau looked super fit and we dominated across the park.
Awesome to see some footy again, we are in for a good season!

Really enjoyed the defensive efforts from that right hand side, they definitely did get tested but passed every test with flying colours which was great to see!

How about big Kiks in some open space what a weapon, he looked just as quick as any of our players would be over about 40m or so - plenty more of that this season please.

The way we were attacking last night I think it showed that we won’t ever be predictable when it comes to what we throw at other teams much like last season, we have so many weapons all over the park now it’s incredible.

WestyLife

First Grade
Damn buddy I wasn’t trying to offend or upset you, just saying I didn’t agree :shrug:♂️

Responses like these make me think I’ll just go back to spectating these forums lol
Don't worry about it mate. He is just very sentimental about Panthers players.

WestyLife

First Grade
I made rather simple observations around our own Dylan Edwards, defending him for the most part.

I also suggested ball playing and passing ability are not necessarily one and the same.

The games elite full backs in Tedesco, RTS, Tommy T, Latrell Mitchell are predominantly explosive athletes and those on the rung below including our own Dylan are largely of the same skill set just not at the same level.

I don’t see to many of the current fullbacks creating opportunities for others as play makers there strengths evolve from an entirely different skill set, power and pace to name a few. Being able to make a pass is a desirable attribute, it let us down a few times this evening, the final pass.

Difference is RTS, Mitchell, RTS can all hit a cut out pass if necessary. Edwards has to learn it. This isn't optional as shown by May covering the spot last year on plays.

WestyLife

First Grade
Yeah I thought so. Nice to see he can gain some weight and loose any of his footwork.
Glad everyone else is talking about it. Thought I was going crazy thinking he looked stronger and more confident in defence. Credit to the club for how they run a pre season.

betcats

Referee
Difference is RTS, Mitchell, RTS can all hit a cut out pass if necessary. Edwards has to learn it. This isn't optional as shown by May covering the spot last year on plays.

Mitchell has the best long cut out in the game right now. Good vision and he can be be crafty with his passing, double pump it, hold it up and go short or casually throw a 30m cutout pass. To me he is a real ball player better than a lot of the halves in that area when he is on.

WestyLife

First Grade
Mitchell has the best long cut out in the game right now. Good vision and he can be be crafty with his passing, double pump it, hold it up and go short or casually throw a 30m cutout pass. To me he is a real ball player better than a lot of the halves in that area when he is on.
Yep a fit Mitchell is one of the best players in the game right now. His natural potential is ridiculous.