What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Storm80

Juniors
I reckon with his alto ego's you will find he's a season ticket holder of both the Brisbane Broncos and Brisbane Lions and supported a Sydney Team as well in the day.
If this is reference to me? Nope.

Former Balmain. Always disliked both the broncos growing up on Gold Coast and NSWRL’s treatment of QLD players.

Moved back to Melbourne then Super league happened. Balmain administration failed to move to Melbourne and stayed with ARL. Still followed them in ARL but clear as dog balls the only way to stand alone in future was super league. Chose to be a Hunter Mariners fan in SL as I liked the Iro brothers.

Both Balmain and Hunter ate shit with the creation of NRL and as I was in Melbourne - the clear choice now that I was club less was the storm.

Current Melbourne Storm, Collingwood (life long) and GWS member now living in Sydney.

Don’t like Brisbane lions - Fitzroy and Collingwood are rivals, you know the old neighbouring suburban border type schtick. It works in all sports

Was a season ticket holder of the Brisbane Bears though back in 1987 when they played out of carrara. Went to Gold Coast Giants games too (oh if we bag the shit out of GWS for “Giants” do we also bag NSWRL for allowing GC giants as a name first? Or titans for that matter?)

Had a soft spot for the Bears until the merger with Fitzroy. Now couldn’t give two shits about them - much the same as wests tigers. Clubs dead it’s a new entity anyway you slice it. Was also a Raiders member when living in Canberra.

Never been a member or seasons ticket holder of Brisbane Lions or Brisbane Broncos in my life though. Couldn’t think of anything worse to be honest.

Last edited:

Storm80

Juniors
The team with no stadium, no home and no fans?

In not sure the FFA is as infallible as previously mate out
Who said they were infallible ffs?

I gave you an example of the best executed expansion franchise of any code in recent memory.

One team city decides to expand to two clubs. Split the city in two with WSW and Sydney FC. Huge success for their code.

It’s exactly the example NRL should have followed for Brisbane2.

mongoose

Coach

I gave you an example of the best executed expansion franchise of any code in recent memory.

One team city decides to expand to two clubs. Split the city in two with WSW and Sydney FC. Huge success for their code.

The Wanderers have been trending down though in many metrics over the years. They were supposed to the main reason why Bankwest was built in the first place and they barely ever fill half of it. The Eels have at least been getting 20k a game or close to there.

Wb1234

Referee
The Wanderers have been trending down though in many metrics over the years. They were supposed to the main reason why Bankwest was built in the first place and they barely ever fill half of it. The Eels have at least been getting 20k a game or close to there.
Yeh wanderers 9300 so far this year

to be fair the whole a league has collapsed other than one it two teams

Canard

Immortal

They averaged less than 7.3k a game in season 2021-2022 and have been trending down (rapidly) since 2017. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-League_Men_attendance

I note the little suburbs/villages of 2nd clubs Fremantle and Port Adelaide averaged 40k and 30k respectively in the AFL in season 2022.

Wb1234

Referee
Yep. I get those sports had to risk it no such risk for NRL
Realistically I can’t see fox or nine losing the rights anytime soon

afl probably dodged a bullet saying no paramount

it’s not just about dollars paid but exposure

being on stan or the channel ten equivalent is almost a death sentence for a sport

the entire premise of this question is rubbish.

How so?

Is Phil paying you to fight his battles?

He's got a mouth. Let him use it.

You cant, but hell, lets see it.

It will amuse everyone to see the mental gymnastics you go through to exclude revenue streams they are perfectly entitled to include.

All I have to do is prove these clubs rely on bailouts from non-football operations such as the governing body and gaming machine revenue.

Whether they're "entitled" to receive a large chunk of the game's revenue is debatable because every cent spent on keeping these clubs afloat comes at the expense of the players and every level of the game beneath the NRL.

The players want a larger slice of the pie because they're jeopardising their health and quality of life for the benefit of the clubs. CTE is a game changer and will bankrupt the game if it's not dealt with adequately. If we want parents to sign their sons and daughters up to play football then we'll need to convince them their children won't end up as vegetables who are thrown on the scrap heap.

We've seen other sports in this country go bust focusing on the professional side of the game to the detriment of all tiers below it.

Now let's look at the Sydney clubs annual reports.

Cronulla Sutherland Sharks

Sale of goods
Sale of goods
Merchandising/royalties
TOTAL

Rendering of services
Game day and ticketing
Gaming revenue
TOTAL

Other Revenue
Functions revenue
Members subscriptions
Sponsorship and hospitality
NRL grant
NSWRL grant
Revenue from supplier contracts
Management/consulting revenue
Other Revenue
Total revenue
21,764,533 27,954,497
TOTAL

When you subtract the amount of money provided to this club by the ARLC and NSWRL then they generated just $11,666,663. Gaming machine revenue was down as the Leagues Club at Wooloware is under development, leaving the Sharks @ Kareela Licenced Venue as their sole source of income from this sector. When you subtract gaming revenue then the club generated just $8,754,894 from football operations. That means less that football operations generate less than one-third of the clubs revenue. Gaming machines could be decommissioned from licenced venues at any point as there's a strong campaign to remove them from.

The annual grant from the ARLC is dependent upon the broadcasters paying big money to our game. Foxtel is the only pay TV service willing to pay about $240m per annum (rough guess) on our game and their future is fat from secure.

f**king lol.

North Queensland were 13th

In Sydney, the NRL averaged 157,000 on 9 for the season with R1s Panthers/SeaEagles the top rating fixture for the season at 249,000.

In Brisbane, the NRL averaged 96,000 on Nine with the highest rating game being R19s Eels/Broncos with 167,000 viewers.

That was this season. Previous seasons had the Cowboys sitting in the top six. It's also based on OzTam data, which is the viewing habits of 12,000 across Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth, then it's projected onto the other 26,000,000 Australians. It's far from reliable.

Iamback

Coach
Realistically I can’t see fox or nine losing the rights anytime soon

afl probably dodged a bullet saying no paramount

it’s not just about dollars paid but exposure

being on stan or the channel ten equivalent is almost a death sentence for a sport

What is this year 3 in the deal? I have yet to see a game on a TV at a pub or club

siv

First Grade
My fear is the damage caused by the NSWRL is irreversible. It went out of its way to f**k up the game in Brisbane in 1988 out of spite, doubled down on its efforts in 1997 and has never stopped holding it back to protect the NSWRL clubs from Sydney.

It's a miracle the Cowboys survived after being forced to fork out $800k per annum to fly broke Sydney clubs to Townsville. The annual grant back then was just $500k and teams had to cover the salary cap out of their own pockets. Cowboys were also forced to take out a loan to convert The Willows into an RL stadium while Sydney clubs were allowed to play out of shitholes. @The_Wookie and @MugaB conveniently ignore these inconvenient facts because the truth goes against their revisionist history of the game.

We cannot forget that the NSWRFL never wanted State of Origin and labelled Queenslanders insane and stupid for bringing up the proposition. It's no wonder the game in Australia has failed to grow into new markets when it it's been run by simpletons from the NSWRL since 1908. If it wasn't for Super League and News Ltd's involvement then we wouldn't have the Storm or Cowboys.

The NSWRL managed to destroy rugby league in Perth by favouring the NSWRL clubs. News Ltd refused to fix the mess caused by the NSWRL.

Our main competitor has been unopposed for 25 years thanks to the parasitic Sydney cartel. They've achieved a lot in that time and we'll never catch up to them.
They ARLC shpuld shutdown Qld and send them to play in the PNG Cup

Its obvious those canetoads are not worthy

Every major sports league in the world is "unsustainable" without broadcast revenue.

All clubs success and patronage is cyclical, and if you based there survival on sponsorship and TV ratings for a small window, then the Storm, Cowboys, Warriors, Titans, Knights would all not be in the comp anymore.

That's why I oppose any suggestion of clubs being culled.
This is one of the most ignorant posts on this board.

The OP said Cowboys and four other non-Sydney clubs wouldn't be in the competition if it came down to sponsorship revenue. This means the OP is dumb enough to think Sydney clubs generate strong revenue from sponsorship.

The 2021 annual reports prove he is full of shit.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
This is one of the most ignorant posts on this board.

The OP said Cowboys and four other non-Sydney clubw wouldn't be in the competition if it came down to sponsorship revenue. This means the OP is dumb enough to think Sydney clubs generate strong revenue from sponsorship.

The 2021 annual reports prove he is full of shit.

[tb]Club
[/tb]
[tb]2021 Sponsorship Revenue
[/tb]

[tb]Broncos
[/tb]
[tb]$12,757,777
[/tb]

[tb]Cowboys
[/tb]
[tb]$8,986,580
[/tb]

[tb]Panthers
[/tb]
[tb]$7,983,000
[/tb]

[tb]Eels
[/tb]
[tb]$7,969,912
[/tb]

[tb]Sharks
[/tb]
[tb]$4,033,757
[/tb]

[tb]Bulldogs
[/tb]
[tb]$3.6m
[/tb]
well thats 2021... what about other years gone by?... you understand those amounts change every year right

The_Wookie

Bench
How so?

Is Phil paying you to fight his battles?

He's got a mouth. Let him use it.

Ill respond to whatever i damn well like.

All I have to do is prove these clubs rely on bailouts from non-football operations such as the governing body and gaming machine revenue.

For the last time, distributions from the league are not a handout. They are a guarantee as part of the license. The NRL cannot withhold them.

Gaming machine revenue is perfectly legal.

Whether they're "entitled" to receive a large chunk of the game's revenue is debatable

No its not.

because every cent spent on keeping these clubs afloat comes at the expense of the players

No it doesnt. The distribution covers the salary cap, and the CBA covers the rest.

and every level of the game beneath the NRL.

Not spending on one area does not mean it will be spent on your chosen area.

The players want a larger slice of the pie because they're jeopardising their health and quality of life for the benefit of the clubs. CTE is a game changer and will bankrupt the game if it's not dealt with adequately. If we want parents to sign their sons and daughters up to play football then we'll need to convince them their children won't end up as vegetables who are thrown on the scrap heap.

We've seen other sports in this country go bust focusing on the professional side of the game to the detriment of all tiers below it.
As expected revenue cherry picking.

Club viability isnt just determined by football revenues alone. Its a smart club that diversifies interests. The Big AFL clubs have done it, the NRL clubs have leagues clubs and private owners.

In the end it doesnt matter where the revenue comes from, the club remains viable as long as it can service its debts and be relatively profitable.

That was this season. Previous seasons had the Cowboys sitting in the top six.

And beaten by Souths, Parra and the Roosters. This is not exactly favouring your argument. Particularly it can vary from year to year depending on form and fixturing.

It's also based on OzTam data, which is the viewing habits of 12,000 across Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth, then it's projected onto the other 26,000,000 Australians. It's far from reliable.

its also the industry standard, and pretty much all there is. So you feel free to make up your own conclusions on...what..feelings?

Latest posts