What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Iamback

Coach
Just making sure that you understand that marketing is more than just advertising right?

If I were to hazard a guess at where the money is being spent, the first thing I would assume is that the NRL will be wining and dining the execs from all the major television stations in the USA. Ditto for the gambling companies.

You're also gonna get a massive pre and midgame entertainment program with [insert big name pop artist here].

I'd also expect some NRL Experience pop-ups to appear in Vegas the week of the event, with skill games etc and plenty of free tickets handed out.

But I do think you're right about a potential Superbowl ad. The timing would be perfect, and that's you're chance to roll out Rusty, Jackman etc. Getting Jordan Mailata involved would be big too.

And if you are putting those execs up for the weekend, You are going to do so in 5 star too.

Easy to see where the cost goes, Whether the whole thing makes any money is the question

snickers007

Juniors
And if you are putting those execs up for the weekend, You are going to do so in 5 star too.

Easy to see where the cost goes, Whether the whole thing makes any money is the question

Players will be in suites at Caesars Palace, and all the VIPs will have carpark views on the ground floor of Excalibur 🤣

nko11

Juniors
Just making sure that you understand that marketing is more than just advertising right?

If I were to hazard a guess at where the money is being spent, the first thing I would assume is that the NRL will be wining and dining the execs from all the major television stations in the USA. Ditto for the gambling companies.

You're also gonna get a massive pre and midgame entertainment program with [insert big name pop artist here].

I'd also expect some NRL Experience pop-ups to appear in Vegas the week of the event, with skill games etc and plenty of free tickets handed out.

But I do think you're right about a potential Superbowl ad. The timing would be perfect, and that's you're chance to roll out Rusty, Jackman etc. Getting Jordan Mailata involved would be big too.
I majored in it, so you'd hope I know that. My point was more so that a ~$30 million marketing budget is huge for a singular event. So we're likely to see some pretty ground breaking promotions for the game (like a superbowl ad). Obviously there's other avenues to market the event. But that's just an example of what we could expect from that budget.
As in its going to be a lot different from the Denver test (which still got almost 20k at the ground). That made a loss and made no big difference in US viewership. This might actually be a chance of breaking through.

Then the only other thing is how many viewers are we expecting to carry through the season and what would the breakeven point be. Are we needing 100k Americans tuning in at 3am for the rest of the season to make it worth it? Are we likely to hit that figure?

Pneuma

First Grade
I majored in it, so you'd hope I know that. My point was more so that a ~$30 million marketing budget is huge for a singular event. So we're likely to see some pretty ground breaking promotions for the game (like a superbowl ad). Obviously there's other avenues to market the event. But that's just an example of what we could expect from that budget.
As in its going to be a lot different from the Denver test (which still got almost 20k at the ground). That made a loss and made no big difference in US viewership. This might actually be a chance of breaking through.

Then the only other thing is how many viewers are we expecting to carry through the season and what would the breakeven point be. Are we needing 100k Americans tuning in at 3am for the rest of the season to make it worth it? Are we likely to hit that figure?
Good grief. An intelligent discussion about the potential of the Vegas venture. What next?

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
As in its going to be a lot different from the Denver test (which still got almost 20k at the ground). That made a loss and made no big difference in US viewership.
I was reading somewhere recently that it was the NRL`s intransigence on that game that led to a big airline sponsorship falling through which would have made a massive difference to the bottom line of that venture.
Are we needing 100k Americans tuning in at 3am for the rest of the season to make it worth it?
This is one of the biggest hurdles for me, no one is interested in replays.

Canard

Immortal
I was reading somewhere recently that it was the NRL`s intransigence on that game that led to a big airline sponsorship falling through which would have made a massive difference to the bottom line of that venture.

Especially as this whole venture appears to be about gambling, the time zone just takes any future engagement kills it dead.

Back in 80s and 90s everyone was happy to watch replays of NBA and NFL sometimes days after it happened, but now if it's not live then no one gives a shit.

taipan

Referee
Especially as this whole venture appears to be about gambling, the time zone just takes any future engagement kills it dead.

Back in 80s and 90s everyone was happy to watch replays of NBA and NFL sometimes days after it happened, but now if it's not live then no one gives a shit.
Combo of wagering revenue(PVL has already stated this) which is expected to bring in revenue (and I'm sure that potential had been discussed with U.S sport betting organisations), and plans to access athletes who don't make NFL (and a one time hit job with no backup won't help).And dare say to grow the game in that country.
Every time we have been there in the past it's been hit and run, a waste of space.

Canard

Immortal
Combo of wagering revenue(PVL has already stated this) which is expected to bring in revenue (and I'm sure that potential had been discussed with U.S sport betting organisations), and plans to access athletes who don't make NFL (and a one time hit job with no backup won't help).And dare say to grow the game in that country.
Every time we have been there in the past it's been hit and run, a waste of space.
It's hard to see how this will be in anyway different, particularly the pie in the sky notion of recruiting failed NFL players.

taipan

Referee
It's hard to see how this will be in anyway different, particularly the pie in the sky notion of recruiting failed NFL players.
Well it's hellishly different because the NRL is putting serious loot towards the initiative for a start.Previous attempts had little or SFA plans for revenue from the U.S, after a game held, nor any longer term plans.The amount spent on promotion was chickenfeed.
Have we really tried to and spent time on getting these guys on board apart from the rare occasion ? Even into colleges there in one or two states ?
IMO probably a better bet than having a fish mash of counters in a Pacifica team which is hardly tribal.
This country is small fish in a big sporting ocean, we need to get of our a*ses and promote and grow the game both here and there.

Canard

Immortal
Well it's hellishly different because the NRL is putting serious loot towards the initiative for a start.Previous attempts had little or SFA plans for revenue from the U.S, after a game held, nor any longer term plans.The amount spent on promotion was chickenfeed.
Have we really tried to and spent time on getting these guys on board apart from the rare occasion ? Even into colleges there in one or two states ?
IMO probably a better bet than having a fish mash of counters in a Pacifica team which is hardly tribal.
This country is small fish in a big sporting ocean, we need to get of our a*ses and promote and grow the game both here and there.

On what? And aimed where? What's the strategy here? And why is our sport suddenly going to have success doing this?

IF, we are going to do this in lieu of spending money on grass roots why not target a sport that's much more similar, Rugby Union? Or even English SL?

Other then "were spending a lot of money" it doesn't have much substance to it.

taipan

Referee
On what? And aimed where? What's the strategy here? And why is our sport suddenly going to have success doing this?

IF, we are going to do this in lieu of spending money on grass roots why not target a sport that's much more similar, Rugby Union? Or even English SL?

Other then "were spending a lot of money" it doesn't have much substance to it.
On the initiative, aimed at securing money for the code and showing it to a new audience. No new business has guarantees ,but you spend time both here(via the web) and overseas iperson to ensure as best as possible it is a success.
English SL is preaching to the converted, in fact some union players are involved in rl in the small U.S rl. comp.
If you are stating definitively" it doesn't have much substance to it" then you are either fully au fait with the actual negotiations or just voicing an out of left field opinion.
The NRL doesn't have to spell out now what is in place and/or what is still being sorted out.

We don't know about overseas acts till venues & tickets become available.We hear of plans but that's generally it.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade

You also have to look at the economy of this whole thing too in terms of getting these players from the US.

Current exchange rate is 65 cents to a dollar USD or 1 USD to 1.50 AUD roughly. That’s a bit low generally so you would average it out at maybe low to mid 70’s. Then you have to factor the amount of money thrown over there compared to here.

So essentially we have to convince blokes to give up on their NFL dreams straight away (you couldn’t get them in their mid 20’s for example) and go play a sport they have never played before on the other side of the world. Money wise, considering the unfavourable exchange rate, you have to be paying them what at least $150k USD so $225k AUD to even get somewhat of a look in (and that would probably be very conservative considering that they have college degrees they can utilise and they can also go and wait it out in minor leagues and still be in the shop window so to speak)

So with all this in mind, how likely is it that you are going to get any substantial traction on this player idea. You have to pay more upfront on a bloke who has to adapt to a new game in order to succeed. Whereas you could raid international union competitions (as an example) for lower costs (international sevens players are getting paid like $100k or slightly more a year) and a greater chance of success considering they already have the base skills.

Colk

First Grade
Btw I’m not against the Vegas idea. I can see for what it is: gambling revenue and potential shot at more private investment. The idea of getting a whole bunch of Americans to make the move to a play a minor in a relatively small country on the other side of the world is a tad far fetched.

Wb1234

Referee
Nobody is saying rugby league is taking over America or even having a lasting presence from this intiative

it might snag some betting sponsors and get more people watching the nrl

but as long as costs are covered and it doesn’t cost them anything it’s free publicity for the game

Iamback

Coach

At $39 a month. If that 100k mark was hit then the venture breaks even that is before the gambling is added.

On that you can watch anytime so the time difference gets cancelled out.

Iamback

Coach

I manage to not get scores spoiled for NHL, Easier for a minor sport especially

Iamback

Coach
Btw I’m not against the Vegas idea. I can see for what it is: gambling revenue and potential shot at more private investment. The idea of getting a whole bunch of Americans to make the move to a play a minor in a relatively small country on the other side of the world is a tad far fetched.

Just need to give the local RL scene a boost

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nobody is saying rugby league is taking over America or even having a lasting presence from this intiative

it might snag some betting sponsors and get more people watching the nrl

but as long as costs are covered and it doesn’t cost them anything it’s free publicity for the game
So how’s the costs going to be coverEd let alone a profit made?
nrl makes $40mill ayear from aus betting. It’s hard to see usa being bigger given no one knows the game and games are on in the early hours of the morning.
New sponsors? australia is an unknown far away land with hardly anyone living here, american companies aren’t going to be falling over themselves.
New viewers? Currently costs around $270 a year for yanks to subscribe to watchnrl. Again whose subscribing to a sport they know nothing about that is played in a far away land in the early hours of the morning?
sounds all very afl in China to me

Latest posts