What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould: Bennett agreed to coach Roosters

bulldog

Bench
I'm horrified that Bennett may not have had a rival clubs best interests at heart, theres no way he played them like a bunch of chumps is there? Who would have thought the man who is the Broncos would have made the Roosters look like a bunch of prize geese, it was a master stroke that cost the Roosters dearly and cost the Broncos nothing.

Everyone wants to come to the Greatest football club in the world so why wouldn't it be true for bennett.

old bruno cullen is a bit rich with statements about the Roosters poaching as what about hodges who the broncos signed when he had not even been released by the Roosters.

innsaneink

Referee
salivor said:
Are you insinuating that Bennett may have leaked it? What would be his motive in doing so? The timing was terrible being days out from the Broncos first final, Bennett wouldn't chose this as the time to make the deal public and he has been clearly irritated by the media attention for the last week now. The leak surely had to come from someone within the Roosters organisation.

Surely he must have discussed the matter with Brisbane management to be so confident he could get out of his contract through to 2009 and sign with the Roosters next year.

Who knows?....he may have.

Motive?- I dunno, take focus off his team and place it on him?

I'm just pointing out to Kiwi that its possible it did come from up north, can you tell with 100% certainty me it didnt?
Stranger things have happened.

salivor

First Grade
Of course it's possible and can't tell you anything with 100% certainty on this matter as we've been given very little really to chew over and only one side of the story.

I just don't think there is a good enough motive for Bennett to do it at the time he did, why not do it a couple of weeks earlier? The way Bennett operates at times baffles me but I don't think (hope) he's stupid enough to risk distabilising his teams finals chances.

innsaneink

Referee
salivor said:
Of course it's possible and can't tell you anything with 100% certainty on this matter as we've been given very little really to chew over and only one side of the story.

I just don't think there is a good enough motive for Bennett to do it at the time he did, why not do it a couple of weeks earlier? The way Bennett operates at times baffles me but I don't think (hope) he's stupid enough to risk distabilising his teams finals chances.

Well even without the leak, if what Gus says is on the money, its poor timing from Bennett...and who knows just whats happening at Red Hill this week(since the story broke)....its almost unbelievable to think he'd consider a switch at this stage of the season.

salivor

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Well even without the leak, if what Gus says is on the money, its poor timing from Bennett...and who knows just whats happening at Red Hill this week(since the story broke)....its almost unbelievable to think he'd consider a switch at this stage of the season.

Is it really? 6 weeks ago the Broncos had just lost their 5th straight match and were undoubtably in their 6th end of season slump in 6 seasons and questions were starting to arise around Bennett's security at the Broncos. I think it's entirely believable that he thought about jumping before being pushed by Broncos management and wasn't going to pass up a great coaching gig like the Roosters while it was up for grabs. Bennett values trust very highly though and his appears to have been broken by the leak.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Razor said:
There is a thing called litigation. Fairfax and 9 wouldn't allow it to be published/aired through their media if it wasn't true.

just heard on the news that 9 just had to cough up $400k over the Greg Hodge story on ACA.

You were saying?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20432794-1702,00.html
Nine ordered to pay defamed swim coach

September 18, 2006 05:07pm
Article from: AAP

AUSTRALIA'S former top swimming coach, Greg Hodge, has won more than $320,000 in damages after suing Channel 9 for defamation.

Acting New South Wales Supreme Court Justice Rex Smart today said the network's A Current Affair (ACA) program had broadcast a segment which was "highly defamatory" of Mr Hodge.

When the program aired in October 2003, Mr Hodge was the high performance director for Australian Swimming, with responsibility for the Olympic team.

In the segment, former swim student Emma Fuller claimed the swim coach behaved inappropriately towards her when she was a 12-year-old boarder in his Sydney home in the mid-1990s.

In 2004, a jury found the program contained three defamatory imputations, including that Mr Hodge was portrayed as "a pervert who had preyed upon Emma Fuller while she was a child under his care and protection".

The jury found Mr Hodge was also defamed by imputations that he "had engaged in constant acts of physical contact of a sexual nature" upon the girl and "had so misconducted himself in his sexual attentions towards Emma Fuller that he was unfit" to train Australia's Olympic swimmers.

Lawyers for the defendants, the Nine Network and Channel Nine, relied on the defence that the claims were substantially true and in the public interest.

But Acting Justice Smart said: "The defendants have not established the substantial truth of many of the facts stated."

He found "the personal distress and hurt (Mr Hodge) suffered" was considerable and that significant reparation was required for the harm done to his reputation.

Mr Hodge felt shunned as a result of the broadcast, was depressed and restricted to his home, the court was told.

The judge ordered the Nine Network to pay Mr Hodge $321,337 in damages, plus interest to be calculated.

Acting Justice Smart said the broadcasting of the program had "serious consequences" for Mr Hodge, who was banned from contact with members of the Australian swimming squad while the matter was investigated.

Mr Hodge said he was not allowed to have contact with coaches or athletes, and felt obliged to resign from Australian Swimming.

The judge said that as the Nine Network knew Mr Hodge was a highly esteemed senior swimming coach and regarded as an upstanding citizen, an adequate investigation of the allegations was required.

"That did not occur and that was unjustifiable," he said.

Mr Hodge, who now works overseas, was not in court for today's decision.

Razor loses again

Lego_Man

First Grade
I wouldnt be surprised if the whole situation here was just Bennett shafting Stuart, plain and simple. If that's the case, you have to admire his cunning.

Perhaps next year itll be Cronulla vs Brisbane grand final - Ricky's Revenge

:lol: :lol:

I would love to think that Benny did it to screw over Ricky, but Wayne doesn't work that way.
I would say that some of what was printed by Ghoul was might we say creative writing.
Wayne has a lot of reasons to stay in Brisbane, his family and new property for one.

innsaneink

Referee
salivor said:
Is it really? 6 weeks ago the Broncos had just lost their 5th straight match and were undoubtably in their 6th end of season slump in 6 seasons and questions were starting to arise around Bennett's security at the Broncos. I think it's entirely believable that he thought about jumping before being pushed by Broncos management and wasn't going to pass up a great coaching gig like the Roosters while it was up for grabs. Bennett values trust very highly though and his appears to have been broken by the leak.

Not very professional if this is in fact the case.

They came to him, the ball was in bennys court...he couldve told them to wait till after the semis.

No 'I' in team.

HoLLuS

Juniors
hahahahahaha

Cullen described Gould's column as "strange". "I'm at the stage where I'm over all this talk about Wayne and the Roosters," Cullen said.
"I read the column and took what was written there with a grain of salt. Maybe Gould is just trying to cover his backside because of his role in things.
"I have had only one discussion with Wayne about this and he made a commitment to honour his current contract which goes until 2009. From my point of view that's all I need to know.
"I think it's disgraceful that the Roosters should approach Wayne when he has a contract."

Broncos = hypocrites!!!

salivor

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Not very professional if this is in fact the case.

They came to him, the ball was in bennys court...he couldve told them to wait till after the semis.

No 'I' in team.

Not very professional? Bennett's in the coaching profession where you're here one day shown the door the next, I won't begrudge a coach trying to secure his future. What would've been unprofessional is if he'd signed on the dotted line and let the Roosters parade him in front of the media then and there a month out from the finals. Instead it appears he asked them to keep it quiet as to not distract the Broncos so it could then be announced after the finals.

Rotten Rooster

Juniors
salivor said:
So what would Bennett's motive be for leaking it days out from the Broncos first final? All it did was bring massive media attention to the club and no doubt would've caused distractions to the players. And we already know that Politis was telling other people, he let Gould know before the media had got wind of it, you're not so naive to think that Gould wasn't the only close confidant of Politis to be told are you?

If you read between the lines its pretty clear Bennett wanted to Screw Stuart, Bennett is a grub and this confirms it.

Mr Saab

Referee
Rotten Rooster said:
If you read between the lines its pretty clear Bennett wanted to Screw Stuart, Bennett is a grub and this confirms it.

Keep telling yourself that and maybe one day it will sink in

innsaneink

Referee
salivor said:
Not very professional? Bennett's in the coaching profession where you're here one day shown the door the next, I won't begrudge a coach trying to secure his future. What would've been unprofessional is if he'd signed on the dotted line and let the Roosters parade him in front of the media then and there a month out from the finals. Instead it appears he asked them to keep it quiet as to not distract the Broncos so it could then be announced after the finals.
Yes...not very professional, semis are coming up and hes thinking of his own interests, according to you....

here one day shown the door the next
:lol: How longs he been Bronco head honcho?

Latest posts