What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould: Bennett agreed to coach Roosters

Razor

Coach
Yes STSAE these Gould-haters are letting their personal vandetta against him affect their views.

Ghoulies

Bench
salivor said:
I'm guessing that it may be a little bit different considering that Bennett is signed with the Broncos through to 2009. That's the next piece of the puzzle, how was Bennett planing to get out of this to join the Roosters considering that Cullen has made it clear he wants him to remain at the Broncos.
I believe he has a get-out clause allowing him to leave practically on a whim.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Razor said:
There is a thing called litigation. Fairfax and 9 wouldn't allow it to be published/aired through their media if it wasn't true.

lol

wasn't 9 sued by that swim coach not long ago?

Green Machine

First Grade
Razor said:
There is a thing called litigation. Fairfax and 9 wouldn't allow it to be published/aired through their media if it wasn't true.

I picked up the paper this morning and on the backpage it had:

EXCLUSIVE
Phil Gould: How Wayne Bennett betrayed the Roosters

Phil Gould was on 2SM this afternoon and said he was not suggesting for one moment that Wayne Bennett betrayed the Roosters. He said it was up to Fairfax to put whatever title they wanted to put to his story. It seems that Fairfax didn’t mind misrepresenting Phil Gould. Only last week, Danny Weidler printed a retraction in his column on some things he suggested about someone. Nine and Fairfax are as dirty as every other media organisation,

salivor

First Grade
Razor said:
Yes STSAE these Gould-haters are letting their personal vandetta against him affect their views.

Have you heard the Bennett's side of the story? Wouldn't be a Bennett hater letting your personal vendetta gainst him affect your view would you? You have stated he is scum afterall.

Leagueguy

Juniors
Heres some things I think we can assume:

1. Bennett didn't do this to screw the Roosters over. Politis rung Wayne Bennett on Gus's instruction. Even if they were enemies, surely them approaching Bennett to ask him to coach is a sign of goodwill. Even if the thought went through Bennett's head "would be nice to play games with them", surely he would think "hang on the roosters have approached me which is a nice gesture, it wouldn't be the right thing to screw them over. To me thats just a stupid as saying that the roosters pretended to lure Bennett knowing eventually he'd back out so they could then make him look bad.

2. Bennett was clearly worried about whether he'd be at the Broncos next year if they continued their slump. People would have been calling for his job if this happened. So it makes sense for him to get some insurance for next year should this occur.

So I have two questions. Firstly was there an agreement where if it went public Bennett could pull out? Secondly did Bennett include some kind of proviso with Politis that he'd only join the Roosters if Brisbane kept loosing and he couldn't get a gurantee from Cullen about his future.

salivor

First Grade
Leagueguy said:
So I have two questions. Firstly was there an agreement where if it went public Bennett could pull out?

Roy Masters in a column along the lines of Gus' stated it was the reason the deal broke. Knowing the importance Bennett puts on privacy and trust as well as his dislike of the media, you'd say it was almost certain that it was part of the agreement IMO. The way Bennett operates, having someone from within the Roosters organisation leaking this story would've sent alarm bells ringing for him, just look at his reaction to a harmless Carroll gag, the exposure clearly irritated him.

STSAE

Juniors
salivor said:
Have you heard the Bennett's side of the story? Wouldn't be a Bennett hater letting your personal vendetta gainst him affect your view would you? You have stated he is scum afterall.

I know you were talking to Razor, but its not against Bennett. Its about the Roosters and Gus. Gus dosent bag Bennett, its the title thats inflammatry, to make us all read it.

My problem is with the original poster. He has an obvious HATRED of Gus and/or the Chooks. I was just pointing this fact out and the fact he obviuosly didnt read the article he posted.

Bennett is a legend. Why do you think Easts/Politis?Gus went for him?? Total respect to the man. The point is Gus is trying to show the deal was done but Bennett backflipped. Just so we all realise Easts did nothing wrong here. Obviously it went over everyones heads. Maybe everyone should read the whole article, not cream over a headline??

As for Gus leaking the decision, LMFAO. The story appeared in the Telecrapp. Please...............

:D :D

Dazzat

First Grade
Just as Pinnichio's nose became longer with every fib, so does Gus get uglier ... (I know that's a low blow, but I couldn't resist).

Gus' problem is he can't tell truth from his own spin.

salivor

First Grade
I've got no issues with Gould's views on the subject, he has a lot of good things to say about Bennett in his piece and obviously has a high opinion of him to want him at his beloved Roosters.

My issue isn't with Gould, the Roosters or you, it's with Razor and a couple of other posters who want to use just one mans side of the story to bag out Bennett and question his intentions and ethics without having heard his version of events and reasons behind what he did.

As I've stated, I'd also like to hear Politis' views on it as well as the article shows that Gould is not fully in the loop and obviously a lot has gone on behind closed door that only Politis and Bennett and maybe a select few know about.

Azkatro

First Grade
Phil Gould has a silver tongue and people find it very easy to swallow his story. I think the most sensible, reasonable sounding explanation (if there was ever even a remote deal on the cards) is that there was a stipulation to keep it confidential. Which makes a lot of sense IMO as that kind of thing going public makes everybody's perception of things turn pear shaped very quickly.

Oh and I think we should all nominate Razor for one of those debating competitions for entertainment value.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
salivor said:
And why did they approach Bennett in the first place? They were always going to give Stuart the arse this year. Gould states in the article:

You miss the point Gus made in relation to Stuart to Uncle Nick. Nick called him about the above. Gus said there was no point in sacking Stuart unless he they had someone better. Nick asked Gus who would be better? Gus replied that there would be no point unless it was Wayne Bennett. So Uncle Nick does what Uncle Nick does... 2 months later Gus finds out Stuart is being sacked. He calls Nick after calling Stuart to offer help, Nick then tells Gus that he has Wayne Bennett.

Now that is Gould's version of the event as it occurred. As you said the truth is somewhere in between. But you are wrong that Stuart was getting booted at any point before Wayne Bennett has alledged to have become involved. It was also at Wayne's request that Sticky find out what is going to let him find another job.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I really hope the full story on this does come out after the finals. It's an intriguing situation to see Bennett even considering going to the Roosters.

Can you imagine the Knives Gus would be able to chuck at Bennett with him that close??? I honestly can't see those two ever getting along. Any club other than the Roosters I would have believed it slightly possible.

Green Machine

First Grade
I think Phil Gould’s aim in writing this story today was to totally discredit the Sunday Telegraph story that suggested he stabbed Stuart in the back so that he and Fittler could take over as coach. Wayne Bennett negotiating with the Roosters was old news due to Roy Masters article yesterday. The story was already out there. Roy is close to Wayne Bennett and Roy wouldn’t write anything that would discredit Wayne. This story has little way to go yet. It will be interesting to see if the Telegraph will reply. 2SM will be replaying the Gould interview tomorrow afternoon,

salivor

First Grade
Stuart's job was quite obviously on the rocks for the Roosters to be looking for a replacement coach in the first place. Politis sought advice from Gould but that's all we know at this stage as without Politis' views we don't know how much of Gus' advice he took on board. Reading between the lines the wheels were fully in motion to axe Stuart with comments such as "what will be different next year" and interviewing coaching staff and getting poor responses. Bennett showing interest would've just sped things up but if he had rejected them do you honestly believe they wouldn't have moved on to seeking the services of other coaches like Anderson or perhaps the likes of Lang or even Daniel Anderson?

eelsrocks

Juniors
wow. this whole thing is better than any tv drama. Just thought about another part of the drama - Rooster leaked to the media that they wanted J.T. which was all BS and that resulted of South rushed to sack their coach.

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
maybe, just maybe, gould wanted bennett to go to sydney so he could get the job in brisbane?? i mean he had been talking so kindly about brisbane until bennett told his side of the story...

just a guess... maybe... just maybe :)