What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player market news

SOULS 04

Juniors
i must admit im getting annoyed at this nopw
i thought monas was gonna stay becaus hes been saying that he doesnt wanna leave canberra heaps... he's been made a top offer and he still might leave?

dead set if he signs a deal somewhere else ill be annoyed hard. seriously if you dont mean something then dont say it.

otherwise you'll end up another brett finch

brenno

Juniors
wiki is irreleplacable. If monas leaves then i think the raiders will chase another outside back like ryan cross, scott donald or amos roberts. David kidwell is also another foward the raiders are interested in along with stuart fielden from bradford but, i can't see him leaving england.

Edwahu

Bench
If we lose Monas and Wiki I hope we go after Tate. I think we could get him for 300k and then use the rest for Kidwell. Tate is about the only guy on the market of simmilar age and abillity as Monas.

greeneyed

First Grade
According to today's CT, the Raiders have approached Penrith centre Paul Whatuira, as well as put a two year offer to the Storm's David Kidwell. Both are managed by Sam Ayoub, and were teammates in the NZ team in the recent ANZAC Test match. Both have permission to negotiate before the 30 June deadline.

Whatuira is 22 and had stints at Auckland, Melbourne and Penrith. He scored 10 tries last season. The Raiders contact with Whatuira is only verbal at this stage. Whatuira has another offer on the table and Penrith are also not out of the running. Ayoub said Whatuira would not be concerned about the negative perceptions that some players have about Canberra's climate (having come from the south island of NZ and having played in Melbourne).

Ayoub said Kidwell also has a couple of offers on the table, but Canberra does appeal to him as it is a strong club, he likes the Raiders style of play, and he knows a few people in Canberra.

greeneyed

First Grade
Done a bit more thinking about the Whatuira idea. He could be a reasonable option if we can't keep Monaghan, and probably not that expensive.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
We could do much worse!

Would far prefer to keep Monoghan in place, though. Shame to lose a local - especially one with so much potential.

Whatuira is a great target. He isn't as much of a gamebreaker as Monas is, but he's much better in defence and he runs hard. Very good option IMO.

At least management isn't in denial that they won't leave. We need to look at other options if the worst scenario happens. We can't be left with buying ... umm... someone who's crap.

jed

First Grade
Raiders 2004 said:
I can't believe we're contemplating losing Joel Monaghan and Ruben Wiki :cry: :evil:

Precisely - neither of them have come out and said that they will be signing elsewhere, we have to do anything (within reason) to keep them.

Edwahu

Bench
Whatuira is shite. He is to the current panthers side what Fulivai is was to our great sides. Crap hands, crap defense, not a noted linebreaker.

Instead of signing these two numb nuts lets save our money and have a go at N.Hindy next season.

jed said:
Raiders 2004 said:
I can't believe we're contemplating losing Joel Monaghan and Ruben Wiki :cry: :evil:

Precisely - neither of them have come out and said that they will be signing elsewhere, we have to do anything (within reason) to keep them.

The club has made offers to Wiki and Monaghan, $750k for 3 seasons each. They said no, the club can't sit back with fingers crossed and hope they'll come crawling back. They need to actively participate in the market as if neither Wiki nor Monaghan will sign. They don't want to wait until August and go, bugger we need a back rower and a centre, what's left? They could be stuck getting Craig Field, or even Justin Hodges

Anonymous

Juniors
Hell if we got Whatuira I wouldn't be upset at all. He's a very solid player, and probobly wouldn't cost us all that much. In fact if we did get him we'd probobly have enough cash to go for someone like Donald aswell.

However if Monnas goes, then I think Cross is the best option. It'd also be good in that the Roosters take our best centre, so we can take theirs :D

thickos

First Grade
Frank Pritchard just signed with Penrith so strike another one off the list people. Can't say I've seen him play much but everyone has been heaping praise on him so good on Penrith...

You know who else I realized is off contract that we should pursue... Carl Webb.

He's been treated like crap at the Broncos in the last two years. They've openly said that he's not a priority of theirs to re-sign. When FIT, he has the potential to be anything. I remember that State of Origin game where he tore the Blues to shreds, that's what he's capable of. I'm not sure if he'd be willing to come here, but it'd be worth a shot. Considering he hasn't played first grade on a regular basis in 2 years, he mightn't be as expensive as you'd think.

thickos

First Grade
from The Canberra Times

MELBOURNE Storm second-rower David Kidwell is believed to be in Canberra today to discuss his future with the club.

Kidwell has been offered a three-year deal.

It is believed that if the former New Zealand representative fails to sign today, the Raiders will withdraw their offer.

----------------------------------------------

Raiders are playing hardball! Good stuff!