What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players who could have been

mxlegend99

Referee
Great player, but do I really need to bring out Slater's highlights reel?
Yep. Bring out his highlights for Australia. Winning NZ the game is my personal favourite. Prior to his injury, Mini was the best fullback in the game and Slater would never have taken his Kangaroos spot away from him IMO.

Slater is better in some areas, but Mini was just Damn near perfect back then.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Carl Webb

If he laid off the KFC and actually played as well as he promised to every pre season he would be an immortal instead of a punch line

pantherz9103

First Grade
Just thinking back to the early 90's, I remember the likes of Jack Elsegood (Manly), Matt Rodwell (Newcastle) and Matt Seers (Norths) were Rookie of the Year winners but they didn't really kick on to be all that great.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Tim smith
Danny Sullivan
Eric Grothe jr
Matt head
Ian Russell
Adam Ritson
Brett Cox
Terry lamey

byrner

Juniors
Tim Smith is the big could have been for me. Watching him in his debut year, his kicking game was amaizing.

In the early 90's there was a kid at the Roosters called Adam Hayden. 5/8 who played a bit of first grade.

To the day he died Artie Beetson maintained he was the best prospect he ever had.

Shocking broken ankle I think it was that cruelled him.

Around the same time we had a kid called James Mathews who was killed in a car accident after his breakthrough year in first grade (1992). I dunno if he would've been in the super star class but he was a really good first grader and would have had a very long career if not for that tragedy.

The club still honours him with an award in his name for the club man of the year I thnk it is.

He carved out a career in the Queensland Cup playing for Burleigh during their most successful period.

I remember watching him thinking he had the class of an NRL standard player. He demonstrated time and poise, and a lovely passing game.

I was unaware of that part of his development so that is interesting that he was part of the Roosters system and had those wraps on him at a young age.

Adam Hayden was cut down by injury. I cannot remember if it was a broken ankle or a broken leg to be honest. However, he was rated that highly that Brad Fittler played lock when he Hayden came into first grade that is how highly he was thought of. It was only his injury which saw Freddy pretty much move fulltime to five eight. When Hayden came back he was never the same, lost a lot of speed and some of his confidence too. Moved to Manly to try and resurrect his career but after 2 years there was out of first grade rugby league for good.

As to James Matthews, you are correct H.H. The Roosters do name their Clubman of the Year Award after him. Most years the club have had James' parents at the awards night when it is presented.

Otherwise Brett Papworth is the other I'd nominate. Had so much talent yet injuries cruelled him.

Also an honourable mention to Phil Clarke. Had made a name in England playing for Wigan was recruited by the Roosters. Never got to show his wares in Australia as he suffered a broken neck which ended his career in his first season with the Roosters.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
These may have been said
But the ones that spring to my mind (and im not reading through 8 pages....)

Taniela Tuiaki
Jharal Yow Yeh
Alex McKinnon
Sonny Fai could have been anything

To an extent, Jerome Ropati, could have been anything, but the last 3 or 4 years has been nothing but injuries, poor bugger!

MrAnonymous

Bench
Ben Ross
Shane Rodney
Luke Swain

All had decent first grade careers, but if it wasn't for injuries all would of played SOO and for Australia imo.

Last edited:

MrAnonymous

Bench
Frank Pritchard as well if he wasn't such a lazy pea heart most of his career, he would of been the GOAT back rower if he put the effort in. When he try's he's unstoppable.

Last edited:

God-King Dean

Immortal
Brett Firman & Mathew Head are the ones that spring to mind, as it killed me a Dragons fan.

Firman burst onto the scene in 2003, being touted as a future rep player. The broke his leg.

Head comes in 2004 - & the exact same thing happens. A lot potential, then his knees f**ked him over. Such a shame, the guy is only 32, but retired back in '09.

POPEYE

Coach
There is an Indigenous player by the name of Steve Lane who trialled for a Sydney club many years ago but suffered some kind of accident so he returned to the bush. He and his 40 odd year old partner in crime William 'Bubba' Kennedy are still wreaking havoc in Group 10.

Lane is a 5/8 who can dummy to pass to the left and throw the ball over his left shoulder back to 'Bubba' running diagonally towards the right and rarely miss. The bloke, in spasms is as good as any 5/8 I've seen play the game and loves the niggle. Makes you wonder how many there are like him that with discipline and a little luck could be household names

jono

Juniors
Steve Hewson Queanbeyan United 1975 Country and NSW half , good judges rated him better than Steve Mortimer.