What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players who could have been

Noa

First Grade
Greg Waddell was the first guy who came to mind for me. Injuries ruined him. Even the last lot of games he did play he never even looked the same. In the end Penrith had to let him go and as far as I know that was the end of him.

The best that never was.

Signing a big contract as a 16 doesn't mean you're a what could have been. Plenty of would have beens at that age who don't go on.

Packy

Bench
Couple of Brisbane Broncos players that spring to mind.

Obviously Jharal Yow Yeh had a long career ahead of him before the freak accident at WA. That was one of those injuries that was so rough it really puts a dent in your appreciation for the game. That injury was only compounded further when a future first grader by the name of Matt Berwick was involved in a car accident that completely ruined his career while the other bright prospect in Jerome Leedy couldn't stay on the field long enough to play 20s. Factor in Kahu's run of injuries, Whitchurch needing spinal surgery and the Gagai drama and it's pretty clear why the Broncos had to stick with Maranta for the majority of 2013.

I think fans often forget that Steve Michaels was a very handy centre/winger in his day before Nigel Vangana twisted him in a tackle and he suffered this horrific knee injury that robbed him of his speed. Before then, he was every bit as good if not more so than Darius.

A blast from the past would be Danny Bampton - played first grade as an 18 year old in one of the greatest Rugby League teams of all time in that 1998 squad and had everything you'd want out of a modern centre except for a clean bill of health.

I reckon Hodges would be ranked right up there with Meninga and Inglis as one of the best backs to play the game had he not blown his knee in Origin I 2003. Watching some of the footage of him back in the day is just freakish.

Steve Michaels is still quick. In fact it is all he is, or ever was.

mongoose

Coach
Brett Mullins - I know everyone remembers him as an excitement machine but he had 2, maybe 2 and half good seasons. Was constantly out injured.

Ricky Stuart was never the same after 95. Injuries really stuffed him.

Tom Learoyd Lahrs could have been something special if he could string more than 3 games at a time together.

Timbo

Staff member
Jermaine Ale had all the talent in the world, just seemed to have no drive at all.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I would also put Ali Lautiti in that category too. Was such a skillful player.

He was phenomenal in 2002, just a level above any other back rower in the game in his ability to get an offload away and general ball skills, combined with the size of a front rower and great speed for a big man. Then he was sidelined for a year due to needing surgery on a bone cyst in his arm and wasn't the same when he returned, then got bundled off to England to play out his career an an ESL interchange supersub. Such a waste.

captainwarrior

Juniors
A few from my club:

Sione Faumuina (if he kicked on after his 2003 form)
Ali Lauiti'iti
Clinton Toopi (if he kept his 2002-03 form going)
Sonny Fai
PJ Marsh

ram raid

Bench
Mini and Stewart. Both have had great careers so far, but both could have been even better and sustained that peak for far longer if it weren't for injuries. Slater was the best fullback in the game for a long time because these guys couldn't stay fit long enough to take their place ahead of him.

Michael Gordon could have been up there too. But he was wasted on the wing for too long and injuries have kept him from playing more then the one full season in his career.

James Tedesco could be a representative fullback by now if it weren't for injuries.

This is all true enough but the bit about Mini and Stewart ever eclipsing Slater in any possible world is absolute nonsense.

H.H

Juniors
Couple of Brisbane Broncos players that spring to mind.

Obviously Jharal Yow Yeh had a long career ahead of him before the freak accident at WA. That was one of those injuries that was so rough it really puts a dent in your appreciation for the game. That injury was only compounded further when a future first grader by the name of Matt Berwick was involved in a car accident that completely ruined his career while the other bright prospect in Jerome Leedy couldn't stay on the field long enough to play 20s. Factor in Kahu's run of injuries, Whitchurch needing spinal surgery and the Gagai drama and it's pretty clear why the Broncos had to stick with Maranta for the majority of 2013.

I think fans often forget that Steve Michaels was a very handy centre/winger in his day before Nigel Vangana twisted him in a tackle and he suffered this horrific knee injury that robbed him of his speed. Before then, he was every bit as good if not more so than Darius.

A blast from the past would be Danny Bampton - played first grade as an 18 year old in one of the greatest Rugby League teams of all time in that 1998 squad and had everything you'd want out of a modern centre except for a clean bill of health.

I reckon Hodges would be ranked right up there with Meninga and Inglis as one of the best backs to play the game had he not blown his knee in Origin I 2003. Watching some of the footage of him back in the day is just freakish.

Yeah hodgo's form in the lead up to that 2003 origin game was unbelievable.

People have rightly raved about him in the years since but I always remind them of that 2003 form. I've always maintained we would've won that 2003 GF with him in the side too.

Another young talent was Tim Horan for Souufs. Tore them up early in 1992 but wrecked his ankle ironically while freakishly setting up a try.

Came back and finished up at the Western Reds if memory serves me, but was never the same.

TheFrog

Coach
I've always maintained we would've won that 2003 GF with him in the side too.

Not a chance. That Grand Final was played between a team that believed they had the right to win, and a team that wanted to win and were prepared to do whatever it took to make it happen. One player would have made no difference.

H.H

Juniors
Not a chance. That Grand Final was played between a team that believed they had the right to win, and a team that wanted to win and were prepared to do whatever it took to make it happen. One player would have made no difference.

You could argue that one player did make a difference as it was. Luke Priddis or Chris Walker.

Take your pick, but we're getting off track. Just my opinion.

Leaguelegend20

Juniors
His first few years decimated by shoulder and knee injuries.

Coupled with the hopeless game plans of Sheens.

An injury free Benji being coached by nearly anyone else could have been much more impressive imo

instead he peaked quickly and faded away just as quickly.

Sheens couldn't motivate him

No doubt Benji could've been in the top 5 best of all time if he was correctly utilised. But nonetheless, him not reaching becoming an immortal status does not mean he is a has been, or a never been. He has still won a premiership, won 5/8 of the year awards, won a golden boot as well as numerous international honours. He is definitely a very successful player, but he will simply not be known in the history books as the best ever, like his potential indicated.

Big Sam

First Grade
Scott Geddes.

Was talked about as a future NSW front rower when he made his debut but only had one season that was not disrupted by some injury.

TheFrog

Coach
Speaking of Puletua, I know Tony had a decent career but f**k he should've been an all time great, in terms of size, athleticism and skill he was 10 years ahead of his time IMO

Tony kind of faded and became lazy in later years, whereas Frank started completely in his shadow and became better with age, playing the majority of his 170 odd first grade games later in his career.