What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players who never reached their potential

ngunity

Juniors
Brent Sherwin
John Sutton

Shifty is an interesting pick.... I think he was too much of a confidence player, and thus agree he could have achieved more with more confidence.

Good for a while though: he picked up a nice long grubber from Tricky and was feeding tries to Vagana, a cornerstone of our '04 success and it didn't hurt that he played behind a fearsome monsterous forward pack who were mostly origin and internationals... He should have bloody had more confidence playing with that pack come to think of it!

jonno_knights

Juniors
Sounds like the commentator is saying "Lyons" when the clip starts, so I reckon it's him getting axed.

Matty Head. Buy of the season when the Tigers plucked him from ESL in 2008, but then he was sidelined because the coach didn't like him. What a waste. Could still be playing now.

I think it was Craig field getting hit, I found a better video were its cleary the number 13 passing it, so Im pretty sure its Kosef.

Molly

Juniors
Mick Neil.

What an athlete.

Fair to say you either never saw him play or you don't understand the thread. Mick Neil got every bit and some of his potential out. He was a player who constantly played well above his weight..(and ability).

My Morning Coat

Juniors
From the warriors,they were talking up this centre who was going to be the next Kevin Iro aka the beast.....Vince Mellars .In his debut game he showed promise but that was about it.
Another who sadly would never show us how great he could have been is Sonny Fai

Vic Mackey

Referee
brett firman was always crap, its just the fact that anyone who wears a saints jersey is talked as as an origin player that made people think he was good

tim smith was worse, i told everyone he was sh*t even in his debut year. all he ever did was kick, he never ran and had a very wayward passing game.

matt head i do agree on, had immense talent however knee injuries killed him. if he didnt get injured in 05 it was hard to see the dragons not winning the comp

dean collis is another who should have made more of his career by now. debuted in first grade at 17 in 2003. at 19 had taken the right center spot over shane elford in 2005 however was injured late in the season and didnt get his spot back for the finals.

in 2006 he started the year on fire and in round 4 came up against another center with potential in greg inglis at leichhardt. collis gave him an absolute bath and put his winger away for 3 tries (would have been 4 but fitzhenry dropped a sitter over the line), scored 2 himself and just dominated GI in general.

then a few weeks later he came up against another bloke ear marked for big things in michael jennings who he again completely dominated. he then got picked for city but then injuries and just generally looking uninterested on the field really cost him.

still hoping he can find what he had when he first came into grade...

Last edited:

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Fair to say you either never saw him play or you don't understand the thread. Mick Neil got every bit and some of his potential out. He was a player who constantly played well above his weight..(and ability).
Agreed. Mick Neil was an absolute champion, no wasted potential there.

Red Bear

Referee
Mat Head stand out, sad that injuries cruelled him

Luke McDougal looked a gun back in around 04.

Ben Ikin was gun at the Bears, went home and got wrecked by injuries

Poul

Juniors
Lote Tuqiri. Great player, whose still playing well, but ruined his chance to achieve his full potential by going to yawnion. Sadly, we'll never know how truly great he could have been :cry:

I think the same could be possibly be said about Israel Folau and Karmichael Hunt, but there may still be a chance for them, if they abandon their fumbleball folly before it's too late.