What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players you want

Johns Magic

Referee
Sorry to start a whole new thread on this but all the other ones seem to be about particular players rather than just anyone that tickles your fancy.

This is basically the thread to bring up any player you think we should be looking at and to generate a bit of dicussion.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
We're looking for a prop, I think Aiden Tolman would be an unreal signing.

Averaging 32 tackles and 130 metres a game this year, he's only 21 and played every game for the Storm last year when they won the comp.

Off-contract and with the Storm struggling to keep all their players especially with all the current salary cap scrutiny they're facing, he's actually from Hat Head which is just above Port Macquarie on the NSW north coast which would make Newcastle a pretty tempting option for him in terms of family and having grown up with the lifestyle.

A couple of articles:

HOW does a humble kid from the tiny town of Hat Head on the NSW north coast become one of the game's most coveted players? Simple really. Hard work.

Melbourne prop Aiden Tolman has worked hard throughout his career. It's one of the first things former Storm recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan noticed when he laid eyes on Tolman nearly a decade ago.

He wasn't the most talented kid. He wasn't built like a brick out-house. He didn't stampede over rivals. He didn't have Billy Slater's speed or Greg Inglis's fend. But he had one quality which caught O'Sullivan's eyes.
"He had a work ethic to die for," O'Sullivan said.
"He's such a respectful kid. He's not the fastest bloke in the world. He's closer to the slowest. But he's always the first player there when a try is scored and he's always the first player there when a try is scored against him."

Tolman was one of only two players to appear in every game for the Storm last season. The other was Cooper Cronk. He hasn't rested on his laurels this season.
Heading into Friday's game against St George Illawarra at Etihad Stadium, no prop has played as many minutes as Tolman. It's not just quantity either. He averages 32 tackles a game and Penrith captain Peter Civoniceva is the only prop to have run for more metres.
Given his stats, it's no surprise to discover Tolman has dominated the Storm's players' player award over the opening three rounds. He has won it twice. The only time he didn't win it, he finished second behind Ryan Hinchcliffe.

His form has strengthened claims he should be under consideration for State of Origin this year, a cause he can push against the Dragons. Standing opposite will be Michael Weyman, an incumbent Blues prop and one of the competition's form forwards.
"He's definitely a hard worker," Melbourne football manager Frank Ponissi said.
"He's a really quiet type of bloke. He's what we call a low-maintenance player. Around the club he's ideal.
There are no short-cuts. He's always one of the first through the gate and one of the last out.
"He eats the right food, he does the right stretches, does his recovery. He's very professional. You forget that he's only 21, going on 22. He's got a really mature head on him. He's definitely a leader of the future, hopefully at this club."

And therein lies the dilemma for the Storm. Tolman is off contract at the end of the season and a slew of clubs are hovering. Melbourne is desperate to keep him and has already tabled a healthy long-term deal.
Every year, the stars align for at least one player. He fills a need other clubs are looking for. Tolman could be that man.
Brisbane has placed him on its front row hit-list. Newcastle is watching closely. The Sydney Roosters have had their interest piqued.
He shapes as an ideal replacement for Ben Hannant should the Bulldogs star decide his future really does lie in south-east Queensland.
Tolman is exactly the sort of player Cronulla could re-build its club around.

"We have been in negotiations with his manager for a few weeks," Ponissi said.
"We have put an offer on the table. We have left it with him and his manager to consider. Now the ball is in their court.
"He carries the ball all day. His defence is strong. He's one bloke we don't want to lose."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-keep-wanted-man/story-e6frg7mf-1225847701264

MELBOURNE Storm prop Aiden Tolman will not be rushed in to making a decision about his future.
The 21-year-old premiership winner, a favourite of Storm coach Craig Bellamy, is out of contract at the end of this season and is yet to sign a new one with Melbourne.
Considered a potential bolter for the New South Wales State-of-Origin side, Tolman is Storm's top signing priority and it could cost the club plenty to keep him.

Tolman said he would stay if the deal was right but his manager was talking to other clubs.
"I'd love to stay, my time down here has been really enjoyable," Tolman said yesterday. "I am off-contract so I am letting my manager deal with that and I am just concentrating on playing.
"He's chatting to a few clubs ... he is letting me know along the way.

"I'm at Storm for this year and that is all I am worried about for now. If it is right to stay then I will definitely stay.
"But I'm not worried about that at the moment."
Storm football manager Frank Ponissi met Tolman's manager last Sunday in Sydney to start negotiations, but no firm offer was made.
"We want to keep him and he wants to stay and now it's about coming up with the right package to keep him," Ponissi said.
"He is a priority in our recruitment for 2011."

Tolman, from the surfing hamlet of Hat Head on the NSW north coast, could expect to double his salary over the course of his next contract but would have to stay at Melbourne for less money than available elsewhere.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-no-rush-to-sign/story-e6frfgbo-1225842063408

Now sure there is a lot of interest and the Storm aren't going to let him go without one hell of a fight, but you've got to think with the money we have, the forwards we lost recently and Cross and Simpson coming off-contract, and the fact that our location for once would actually work in our favour, that this is one player with a huge future that may not be so unrealistic for us.

Brett Finch - Best of the bunch, great talker, and very passionate. 5 X the player of any other halfback we've got and can perform under pressure.

Luke O'Donnell - Add a lot of Mongrel to the pack and the fear factor that we are missing, brutal defender and could very well be a forward leader. All the mail I

Fui Fui Moi Moi - From the 1st minute to the 80th minute he is making brutal runs and winding up like a train on steroids. He is a cult figure that will put arses on seats, something we have HUGELY been lacking I honestly think this is the reason why the club is after a marquee player something to pique the interest of fans and sponsors and Fui Fui would certainly fit the bill.

Jeff Lima - Off contract and while getting on in years is a non nonsense front rower who demands respects, averages good metres and is solid in defence. If we cant get a Fui Fui this bloke would be the next best thing.

If we loose Simpson and/Cross + Maddog, who I am sure wont go on, and a few fringe first graders I am sure that we could afford 4 players of this calibre easily.

An injection of players of this calibre would make us a premiership force on top of our core group of players Gidley, Sau, McManus, Mullen, De Gois, Richie, Taia and others.

Johns Magic

Referee
If we could get Tolman this year and Snowden the year after, a prop rotation of Tolman, Snowden, Fa'aoso with Ailomai coming through in 2012 would be unreal.

Tolman's already a very good player at 21, and we'd probably get him for $200-$250k I reckon. We should be laying out a contract for him before the others get in as good prospects ESPECIALLY at that age are as rare as hens teeth.

Tolman's already a very good player at 21, and we'd probably get him for $200-$250k I reckon. We should be laying out a contract for him before the others get in as good prospects ESPECIALLY at that age are as rare as hens teeth.
The kid could play origin on current form. If that happens then we would need to cough up more than 250K.

Johns Magic

Referee
Brett Finch - Best of the bunch, great talker, and very passionate. 5 X the player of any other halfback we've got and can perform under pressure.

Yeah I would love to sign Finch, I've been a staunch supporter of his on here since his Parra days. If any bunch of fans on here knows how to ride a scapegoat into the ground, it's the Parra fans on here. He actually got 3 try-assists in 4 games at halfback for the Eels last year and got crucified. Compare that to 2 in 10 games for Dureau...

Had 24 try assists in 2008, the 3rd most of any halfback in the competition. A great competitor, would love to get him.

Luke O'Donnell - Add a lot of Mongrel to the pack and the fear factor that we are missing, brutal defender and could very well be a forward leader. All the mail I

Interested in what you had to say here...

No doubt LOD is a great player but I think the bidding war would be too high and it's a position I don't think deserves too much of our attention. Wouldn't complain if he came but if it meant we missed out on a star in another position I'd question the value of signing him.

Fui Fui Moi Moi - From the 1st minute to the 80th minute he is making brutal runs and winding up like a train on steroids. He is a cult figure that will put arses on seats, something we have HUGELY been lacking I honestly think this is the reason why the club is after a marquee player something to pique the interest of fans and sponsors and Fui Fui would certainly fit the bill.

You're right he would get bums on seats. At 30 years old and with the dynamic style of game he plays though I fear he may be on a downhill slope.

Jeff Lima - Off contract and while getting on in years is a non nonsense front rower who demands respects, averages good metres and is solid in defence. If we cant get a Fui Fui this bloke would be the next best thing.

Would be very happy to sign Lima. I don't think his asking price would be through the roof either. Has been the key to the Storm's engine room for the last couple of years for mine.

macavity

Referee
re-sign Cross
re-sign Vuna

sign
Finch
Tolman
Snowden

put pato on a diet to be a gigantic centre

play an out-and-out power game.

???

profit.

Serc

First Grade
Yep Tolman is very quality...no idea he was a Mid North Coast bro (and is almost as 'local' to where I grew up as GI)! Great talent spotters those Storm guys, keep coming up with diamonds year after year.

Even I am starting to get a little excited about this recruitment stuff given the murmurings of Burro and Onslow etc - if Cross plays the rest of this year (presumably to his usual high standard) I would love to retain him on the cheap. If he is genuine about what he owes us imagine if we added another prop of similar value to our roster as a result.

Presuming our halves situation doesn't work out (don't forget it is only round 3 - would be funny if they had a screamer on Monday), I wouldn't mind targetting Finch either.

Unless we're talking about people like SBW, I really wouldn't bother talking about backrowers as we aren't exactly doing poorly there. Even a player with the class of O'Donnell could result in us weakening another area that shouldn't be weakened, or possibly losing Taia or Pato.

Props (especially if Cross goes), halves (mainly halfback), and a decent or quality centre (assuming Mad Dog is going). All other positions are fine.

If Cross can keep up his early form for the first half of the year and play 80-90% of the games he should get another deal.

Hopefully two years, but the big fella's gotta realise that his gotta come to the part and accept(unless he has a barn storming year at rep level) that his worth no more $200k a year.

His 32 and has had his share of injuries however the club should look after him as I reckon he'd make a great forwards coach when he finish's particularly since as the players really respect him and obviously lift when his around. I cant imagine he'd take any sh*t either.

Jono078

Referee
Tolman would be a great pick up.

It's just too hard to say who I want without seeing everyone who is off contract.

Otherwise I wouldn't mind Finch + Snowden.

Andrew Johns talked up the under 20 halfback from the Warriors up. And from what I've seen he goes really good. Shaun Johnson. Might be worth looking at.

But once again I wouldn't mind seeing how Ethan Cook develops, our own under 20's halfback, he sounds the goods.

Serc

First Grade
For the second time in 4 days Jono - Cook is a backrower

Edit: Looks like mac beat me to it lol

roopy

Referee
Roberts is just another running 5/8.
Wyborn is looking good in NSW cup.
Sullivan is good.
Will Smith is good in Ball.

We have running 5/8s coming out our arses - and Ethan Cook, who now plays lock, used to be a decent running 5/8 as well.

In short, we have half a dozen Mullen clones, all pretty good, and not a halfback worth a pinch of sh*t.

Jono078

Referee
Hmm I just looked up the profiles. I'm pretty sure it's cook I'm thinking of? He is listed as Lock, Second Row and 5/8th.

It was the game against the Dogs where I watched highlights of the game and I guess either Cook or Tyrone was the one who looked to have good play making skills.

Lol 2nd time you've hit me with that line in 2 days Serc :p If I read it before I wouldn't have made the mistake again :p

roopy

Referee
Cook is young.
He played NYC last year, but was young enough for Ball, so he has 2 years of NYC ahead of him.
In Ball in 2008 he was mostly a 5/8, but mostly played lock last year, and this year looks to have had a growth spurt and to be a very good size for a second rower now.
He is a quality player. One of our few rep players in the last few years and captain of NYC this year.
His older brother, Mathew, was a good player for us in the under 20s a few years ago, but he was smaller than Ethan and never made the grade, but i notice he was in the Newcastle rep side that towelled up the Centurians in the first trial game.

Latest posts