What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players you want

perverse

Referee
yeah, i've found that site hasn't been updated in a fair while... a bit of a look around and you can immediately see it's not incredibly accurate.

however, it is certainly better than nothing.

RABK

Referee
And if Pearce is off contract like that link says than he is streets ahead as the best half on the market. He is damn quality no matter what the skeptics say. I've watched him closely over the last year and he is the most complete half including Thurston, Prince and Cronk in the game. They are better in certain areas but with time on his side he could prove to be the best since Joey.

Superb kicking and passing game, beautiful running and support game, set play orchestrator, good organiser/leader and pretty damn solid in defense.

We'd be better of chucking the bank at him rather than Thurston.

Karmawave

Bench
Pearce will never come here to Newcastle but its a nice thought.

He has every skill there is to have in a halfback - and he is only 21. Like you RABK, if a massive contract was going towards a player, there's no doubt it would be better going to Pearce than Thurston.

Neither will be playing at EAS anytime soon though, so its a moot point.

RABK

Referee
Of course. Though he'd be stupid not to at least consider us for 350-400k a season considering he and Mullen are very close friends. I'd consider him at least a slight chance to look at us twice considering the Roosters would not be able to match our offer.

High profile players been linked to our club is just smoke and mirrors to seem as though they're proactive in the market when really they're probably drawing up contracts for Dureau and Rogers as we speak.

Karmawave

Bench
High profile players been linked to our club is just smoke and mirrors to seem as though they're proactive in the market when really they're probably drawing up contracts for Dureau and Rogers as we speak.

It's standard practice for low budget, small market teams all around the world, in any sporting landscape, to doctor PR stories about potential big name signings just to appease their fans. ( It usually works because people generally are simple, and like to believe what they read! )

Its a technique constantly used by small market sporting teams internationally to make it appear like the team are doing all they can to attract massive talent.

Last week it was the Knights going public about JT.

Today it was Canberra talking about wanting to sign Sonny Bill Williams.

Overseas in MLB its the Baltimore Orioles and Oakland A's doing similar things. It happens in English soccer.

A twist on this PR is player agents using sporting clubs to push their own players publicity and price up even though they never intend to sign there at any stage. See: Titans and Robbie Farah. Souths and Lote Tuqiri.

The one common denominator regarding the whole thing is this: Teams never go public if they truly want to sign a player.

Going public is simply PR to appease a simple world.

RABK

Referee
Mateo's asking price is dropping 10k per game in that busted Parra side.

Snowden will double or possibly triple whatever he is currently on at the sharks. Tolman wouldn't be far behind.

Minichiello would be a quality buy at the right price for any team.

That Henry half from the Dragons is apparently been scouted by a couple of clubs, don't know much about him but he has big wraps.

The Melbourne Toyota Cup side is full of future rep players.

Ben Barba would be an ideal impact player for some clubs.

Matt23

Staff member
Players I dont want :
Josh Perry
Clint Newton
Feleti Mateo

Players I'm not sold on:
Brett Finch
Johnathon Thurston

Players I want:
Aiden Tolman
Beau Henry

Whats Doing

Bench
Fullback - Ben Barba, Josh Hoffman
Centre - Really struggling here but maybe Greg Waddell, Esi Tonga, Ben Pommeroy
Half - Tim Moltzen, Beau Henry, Ben Hunt, Brett Finch
Back Row - Sam Tagatese, Feleti Mateo
Front Row -Josh McGuire, Aiden Tolman,

Future stars - Melbourne NYC

aqua_duck

Coach
Fullback - Ben Barba, Josh Hoffman
Centre - Really struggling here but maybe Greg Waddell, Esi Tonga, Ben Pommeroy
Half - Tim Moltzen, Beau Henry, Ben Hunt, Brett Finch
Back Row - Sam Tagatese, Feleti Mateo
Front Row -Josh McGuire, Aiden Tolman,

Future stars - Melbourne NYC
god no

Tom155

Coach
someone on another forum who is very reliable said ben hunt has re-signed with the broncs no source though

macavity

Referee
Pommeroy is crap.

Unless we can get anyone out of their contract, my preference is whoever is the best NYC half (or Finch...) and Tolman and/or Snowden (is he off contract?).

I can't think of anyone available, and regardless I don't think we really need a star outside back with Vuna, Aku Jimmy and McDonnell all capable of stepping up - however if the cash is there it is something to consider.

We run the risk of over-reaching and ending up with no one.

perverse

Referee
yeah, i say go hard after Beau Henry (i can't believe he's unsigned, kid is a super duper talent from the games i've seen him play), Snowy and Tolman. re-sign anyone we have coming off contract that doesn't play in these positions.

i'll be happy as long as we have any 2 of Cross, Snowden and Tolman starting for us up front next year.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
How close with the Knights are you macavity?

You seem to be close with them? Are you able to pass along stuff like this and who we should target or not really?

Beau Henry would be a great buy for us by the sounds of things.

Special K

Coach
Snowden is tied down till the end of next year and I wouldn't be holding my breath for a return. Getting out of the fish bowl of newie was one of the best things to happen to his football. Plus the fact the club and sticky(who has been chasing him since he was 16 back when he was at the roosters) adore him

Also you got De Gois so it is a fair swap! ;)

Jono078

Referee
Yeah Snowden did need to move if he wanted to make anything of his footy career. But now he knows what it takes and could move back :p

Time will tell I guess.

RABK

Referee
I remember when i got inside word about Newton walking out and a heap of players to follow due to Smith and i copped a pasting from Pika and co who were adamant that all was well within the playing group eg Newton was joking around at training.

Week later Newton walked out. lol

Maybe Mac has the inside word this year about retention/recruitment or can get some? This is Onslow's first year with us with a somewhat cashed up chequebook - isn't he famed for his eye for the market?