What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

BDGS

Bench
You expect people who earn less to pay the same prices on a regular basis?

Have you got rocks in your head?

BDGS

Bench
I agree with you Beave.

People earning around 14,000 aren't going to be able to afford NRL pricked tickets or memberships regularly if at all.

Scarves

Juniors
Excuse my ignorance. Will the potential players get paid at the Papua Peso exchange rate as well? I know the Warriors use the New Zealand dollar, how will it work in the regard.

Why would they be paying the same sort of prices as people in Sydney? Are you people stupid or something? How do you think they get 10,000 plus people to games like the PM's XIII, Tests or big club games over there? And even if they were, why would you assume that there aren't some people in PNG who could afford to, or even quite a few people? Like I said, this subject shows up the ignorance of a lot of people who simply don't know and don't want to know what this bid has to offer.

This bid has more going for it than half the teams in Sydney. If anyone cared to actually look at it they would see it ticks every box that the other bids tick and more.

beave

Coach
Why would they be paying the same sort of prices as people in Sydney? Are you people stupid or something? How do you think they get 10,000 plus people to games like the PM's XIII, Tests or big club games over there? And even if they were, why would you assume that there aren't some people in PNG who could afford to, or even quite a few people? Like I said, this subject shows up the ignorance of a lot of people who simply don't know and don't want to know what this bid has to offer.

The person showing ignorance in this thread is you....... Until you've seen the poverty first hand I don't think you'll fully appreciate just how poor PNG is. By all means, charge the punters 5 kina for a game ticket but how do you balance the books when you have to pay the team at Oz prices???

bobmar28

Bench
The person showing ignorance in this thread is you....... Until you've seen the poverty first hand I don't think you'll fully appreciate just how poor PNG is. By all means, charge the punters 5 kina for a game ticket but how do you balance the books when you have to pay the team at Oz prices???

By using the NRL grant, sponsorship and providing the playing squad free houses would be a start.

beave

Coach
free houses............. yes, I am sure that will be 'cap exempt'.............:roll:

mikail-eagle

Bench
how do you propose the people pay for their tickets to games on their massive yearly income of $1400???/

Where the f**k you get this figure from ?? Port Moresby alone now has this big middle class of about 40,000-70,000 people, nearly all of them under 35 years of age.

I work for medium size manufacturing firm up here and I can tell you that 70% of them earn more than $30 000 annually.

Just walk into any shopping centre in Port Moresby and see the people here spending like crazy.

And even when I walk into any of the night clubs in Port Moresby where alcohol is always at a premium I don't see poverty, I see PNGeans drinking like fish.

They've got the money to spend, so keep your colonial figure to yourself.

No, no, no, they are all really really poor! They need the few dollars a year they earn to buy grass skirts and mud huts, don't you know.

Easy. When you have a government fully behind it, when they can also "encourage" mining companies to cough up, when you have numerous sponsors like Coca-Cola, among others, and when you have 7,000,000 supporters. And even then you still don't need to spend as much as Australian clubs. You only need to pay the minimum NRL wage. And other staff have no minimum. Not that I need to point all of these things out. The bid team has already done it. It's just that few people are interested in even looking at the facts, never mind understanding them.

beave

Coach
Where the f**k you get this figure from ?? Port Moresby alone now has this big middle class of about 40,000-70,000 people, nearly all of them under 35 years of age.

I work for medium size manufacturing firm up here and I can tell you that 70% of them earn more than $30 000 annually.

Just walk into any shopping centre in Port Moresby and see the people here spending like crazy.

And even when I walk into any of the night clubs in Port Moresby where alcohol is always at a premium I don't see poverty, I see PNGeans drinking like fish.

They've got the money to spend, so keep your colonial figure to yourself.

hahaha, colonial figure. Have a look at the GDP of the country from wiki (as accurate as wiki can be)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papua_New_Guinea

1/3 of the country live on $1.25 a day...........

I have been to PNG about 8 times in my life. Everywhere from major places like Moresby, Hagan, Madang to isolated villages like Tapini, the Sepic area , Tufi, I have seen the poverty first f**king hand, so don't try and lecture me on the joint. It's a beautiful place and SOME beautiful people. But there is also a massive rascal element. I have mates that have been posted there in the ADF and the only reason they go is for the allowances they pay you because of the danger that comes with living over there, I had one mate who was driving home from the consulate and was run off the road and held at knife point while they demanded cash from him. He told me it had happened about 2-3 times a year. You know it's bad in Moresby when the security guards at the Airways resort (which is literally across the road from the airport) have shotguns and pistols when they greet you at the gate.

The love for League in the country should be commended but people are fair dinkum kidding themselves if they think the joint could host a team in the next 10 years. Do I want it to happen? Abso-f**king-lutley, but a lot has to change in the country before it happens..... I think a few of you live in some fantasy land tbh.

Last edited:
If the Australian, New Zealand and Great Britan Test teams and the Prime Minister's XIII can play there then any team can. If it's such a dangerous place why would the ARL, NZRL and RFL send their best players there? Every supposed problem people like to throw up about PNG has been completely covered by the bid team. They have ticked every possible box.

BDGS

Bench
If the Australian, New Zealand and Great Britan Test teams and the Prime Minister's XIII can play there then any team can. If it's such a dangerous place why would the ARL, NZRL and RFL send their best players there? Every supposed problem people like to throw up about PNG has been completely covered by the bid team. They have ticked every possible box.

If this true, like you say it is then show us it.

beave

Coach
There's a difference between staying there for a week in a hotel with armed guards and having to live in a compound on a permanent basis.

Have you been to PNG ECT?

Latest posts