What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

flippikat

Bench
The bid won't really work, it would have to be heavily subsidised by government (or mining companies through tax incentives).
It adds nothing to the TV deal. Junior pathways are good, but surely theres a better way of going about it.

I think first step for this bid would be a stable QRL Cup team. Build on that, get more players into the NRL, get a stadium, get some money, find ways to generate income for the NRL through the bid.

A PNG NRL team is 10 years away at best.

Spot-on. the QRL Cup is the best fit right now.

we shouldn't slam the door on PNG, but it's a case of "not yet" as far as an NRL team goes.

If they can get a stable QRL Cup team, and a stadium to house one in, then they can host the odd NRL game (like Perth are now) in the run-up to having an NRL team of their own.

beave

Coach
Exactly. Their track record with their last team in the QRL wasn't the best but if they can get airlines PNG to come to the party seeing as though they are a major sponsor, get them to run the flights between between OZ and PNG for the players going over and back then the QRL might be more inclined to allow them back in that comp. Small steps first I guess, I reckon the Vipers name reincarnated again would good. If you got them into the QLD cup for 10 years, and prove they can run that decently first then they can look at the NRL. But 2013 is not going to happen..........

Maybe North Queensland shouldn't have an NRL team until it sorts its shit out. Palm Island. Aurukun. The place is a basket case. You want to point fingers at PNG, well why don't you fix your own backyard before you slander another country and tell them how they should be running their society. Talk about hypocracy.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Some typical army jerk

As an ex serving member of the Regular Army with 20 years service and a returned service member I find your remark highly offensive.

Three Soldiers and an Army Officer have died on active service in the last fortnight and you have the hide to call Soldiers, Army Jerks.

clarency

Juniors
PNG adds virtually nothing to the TV rights, and there is such doubt over whether it will be viable on many fronts. Nowhere near the proof needed before you can consider them for the NRL at all.

QLD Cup.

Shows how much you know. They offer more than any other club to the TV rights. But once again, people who have no idea what they are planning going off half-cocked without the facts.

clarency

Juniors
Well explain how a team in PNG would add significantly more money in TV rights than a a Bris2 side.

It's all in the bid. And as I have said, I'm not imparting information to people who want to dismiss PNG out of hand without bothering to look at the facts first. If people want to go into it with an open mind instead of saying "they're all poor so it will never ever happen" it might be a different story.

BDGS

Bench
It's all in the bid. And as I have said, I'm not imparting information to people who want to dismiss PNG out of hand without bothering to look at the facts first. If people want to go into it with an open mind instead of saying "they're all poor so it will never ever happen" it might be a different story.

Hello, that's what i wanted to do, but after 18 months of following the bids i have found nothing.

All of a sudden, you have the answers?

either put up or shut up.

I bet you have no clue yourself.

clarency

Juniors

I'm not dismissing the PNG bid.. I'm merely stating an assumption which I believe to be reasonable. I'm asking you to provide me reason to think otherwise.

That is checking facts, isn't it?

If the nay-sayers of the PNG bid are annoying you so much then stop keeping everything hush hush. It will only lead to further suspicion as it is with me right now.

kmav23

Juniors
Australia gives 450 million in foreign aid to PNG.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/10/27/3049961.htm

PNG listed among most corrupt nations
By PNG correspondent Liam Fox

Posted Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:15pm AEDT

Papua New Guinea has again been rated among the world's most corrupt countries.

Transparency International's annual corruption perception survey ranks PNG 154th out of 178 countries.

PNG's ranking has changed little in the past five years.

Transparency International's PNG chairman Peter Aitsi says that is because the government has done little to tackle the problem.

He says it will only get worse as a resource boom is expected to boost government coffers.

"If our government does not take firm and decisive action, we are going to see significant losses of public funds through the system," he said.

Mr Aitsi says the government has made some headway with the drafting of an anti-corruption strategy, but it is yet to be implemented.

Kiki

First Grade
i went to PNG with the PMs XIII last year.

they could not be further away from having an NRL team. their passion is unwavering and they love their footy more than anything in the world.

but for much of the population even basics like food, water, education and healthcare are difficult to come by. not to mention security, roads, and general quality of life.

they should start small and have a team in the QLD Cup or something along those lines.

PNG as a country faces MASSIVE problems. the people are beautiful but it's a tortured country that's being raped by mining companies. children go hungry while foreign miners fill their pockets.

if we want to help PNG we should concentrate on feeding their children before building an NRL franchise.

bluesbreaker

Bench
That's a colonial attitude Kiki. :roll:

Let us all chip in and buy ECT a 1-way ticket to Port Moresby so he can help champion the bid from over there.

nqcowboy87

Bench
this is what i think of the png nrl bid
Low_bc81c1347ee24e4.jpg

seriously kiki hit the the nail on the head ive got family that work over there and they say it hasnt gotten much better than when i went over there a few years ago its and i mean this in the nicest way possible as my family has ties to that country but its a sh##hole country, seriously you wouldnt hand over the keys of a mercedez to a homeless person in the hopes that car would turn its life around, the same principle should apply. provide a good infrastructure and then maybe a qcup team, dont just throw a proffessional sporting team into that mess and hope for the best

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://www.thenational.com.pg/?q=node/20451
Young stars to gain from joint league concept

Source:
The National – Wednesday, June 22, 2011

THE PNG NRL Bid and the PNG Rugby Football League have announced a joint partnership programme to deliver a Tops Camp next month.
The Tops Camp is basically bringing together young talents from the four zones of the Highlands, Northern, Islands and Southern regions for camps.
The joint initiative will also include the PNG NRL Bid sponsors and stakeholders.
PNG NRL Bid chief executive officer Brad Tassell said the concept would go a long way in strengthening the game at the junior level.
“This is the first step towards delivering a structured National Rugby League Junior Development programme for the youth of PNG.
“Under interim chairman John Numapo and the interim PNGRFL board we are very excited about working closely with the PNGRFL to deliver a true pathway for the talented youth in PNG, Tassel said.
“I would like to personally thank our sponsors - Coca-Cola Amatil, Ela Motors, Inspac, The Holiday Inn, Post-Courier and Airlines PNG for assisting us to make this happen. I would also like to pay special thanks to the University of PNG for allowing us to use their facilities and we look forward to our long association with them in the future.”
The tops camp will be held at the University of PNG (Waigani Campus) from July 11-14.
Thirty-eight players have been selected from the four zones for the camp. They are;
Michael Ray Andowi, Heagi Ikosi, Williame Matinitini, Ishmael Indipin, Charlton Berapu, Kapo Taylor, Emmanuel Tamanabae, Dale Matapere, Joel Billy, Christopher Simon, Bob Gore, Freeman Gabriel, Samson Patrick, T.K. Waren, Fittler Gabriel, Ronny John, Max Eyork (Southern Zone).
Those representing the Northern Zone include Daniel R Aiele, Nixon Borana, Steven Yaks, Alsana Kaulo, Albert Luveni, Kingston Lucas Taragau, Tony Kawage, Bill Paul, Josiah Jimmy and Toari Kenake.
Ten players comprising Jamison John, Kepas Pital, Louis Komet, Steven Fabian, Gerard Tivelit, Walter Bebai, Eliakim Lukara, Nelson Gideon, Konie Bernard, Chris Piner will be coming from the New Guinea Islands region. (Islands Zone) while Richard Mapi is the only one from the Highlands Zone.
Numapo said: “We are pleased to be working with the PNG NRL Bid to support the first tops camps for talented junior rugby league players in PNG. It is a small step leading to a bigger development programme which will be announced in the near future.
“We are in the process of reviewing the entire structure of the PNGRFL as per the court orders and this will take time as it has to be done correctly.
“Tassell and development manager Shane Morris have been instrumental in assisting us with this review process and we are fully supportive of the tops camp and future development programmes.”
One of the main criteria of this joint initiative is to instill in the schools programme that students must make every effort to be present at school, achieve good academic performances, respect others and be role models in the community.

Patorick

Staff member
i went to PNG with the PMs XIII last year.

they could not be further away from having an NRL team. their passion is unwavering and they love their footy more than anything in the world.

but for much of the population even basics like food, water, education and healthcare are difficult to come by. not to mention security, roads, and general quality of life.

they should start small and have a team in the QLD Cup or something along those lines.

PNG as a country faces MASSIVE problems. the people are beautiful but it's a tortured country that's being raped by mining companies. children go hungry while foreign miners fill their pockets.

if we want to help PNG we should concentrate on feeding their children before building an NRL franchise.
Could not agree more.

adamkungl

Immortal
I might have missed this already, but can someone explain why so many islanders can get a run in the NRL and so few from PNG?

gUt

Coach
I believe work visas are a lot harder to come by for PNG citizens compared to Islanders/Kiwis.