What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

beave

Coach
The average Aus & NZ houses have TV's, so untill they become a TV watching nation I don't think they will be an asset to the NRL as far as TV rights. Maybe the NRL should run a competition where you donate your old TV for a chance to win $10,000 and give them to the people in PNG and Fiji.

That is actually not a bad idea. With the amount of uptake of big screens over the last few years, the amount of old CRT TV's laying around people's garages would be pretty high.

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://www.globalmediasports.com/news.html#p7APMc1_4

THE PNG NRL Bid is moving ahead in leaps and bounds thanks to a strategically co-ordinated roll out program. This week saw the bid move to the next level with media rights expert Colin Smith arriving in PNG from Australia to gauge the economic environment and the media market.
At a media conference at the Ela Beach Hotel yesterday in Port Moresby, he said he liked what he saw. "It has been an eye opener for me. I have come at a very exciting time. My role is to develop a media model so that people can watch NRL." Smith said however that there were two main aspects, firstly was to make sure there was quality coverage and secondly how to make it commercial and sustainable to go forward and how it translated to a revenue model. Smith, who has been in Port Moresby for a week, said PNG was "one of the best kept secrets."
"PNG will be the next boom country of the globe in the next 20 years," the media rights expert said. He said he would be working on a costings for a media rights program, a draft of which would be presented to the PNG NRL Bid when he next visits here in for weeks time.
Colin Smith, the boss of LEK's regiona sports, gaming, media and entertainment division, is regarded as Australia's best sports broadcast advisor and has worked on the biggest TV deals in Australia's sporting history. He has engineered contracts and deals that now see more than $350 million generated though professional sports. While in PNG Smith has met key banks, sponsors of the bid such as Ela Motors and met with the major media companies represented in PNG. Bid general manager Bev Broughton said Smith's visit was a quantum leap forward for the bid.

BunniesMan

Immortal
"PNG will be a boom country in the next 20 years"...so give them a team in 20 years ffs.

I can't believe there's some people foolish enough to take this bid seriously. It's 2011 ffs, maybe in 2031, but not 2011.

bluesbreaker

Bench
I will be very surprised if they sort out the issues in PNG in 50 years, yet alone 20. The place is a shithole. You can see mining trucks from Brigade Hill ffs.

Eels Dude

Coach
That is actually not a bad idea. With the amount of uptake of big screens over the last few years, the amount of old CRT TV's laying around people's garages would be pretty high.

All they'd need then is an antenna donating service.

It's all in the bid. Which the NRL will see. But it will be more than the club will receive back in grants from the NRL, which means the franchise will more than pay its way.

Eels Dude

Coach
It's all in the bid. Which the NRL will see. But it will be more than the club will receive back in grants from the NRL, which means the franchise will more than pay its way.

We're not talking about funding for the club... we're talking what financial gain does PNG add to the product of NRL via a television deal?

Adding a team in Perth, or another in QLD will bump up the price of a broadcasting deal which is the NRL's main source of income... but what financial gain do the NRL get for investing in a PNG side?

What did I just say? They will get more money from a TV deal to PNG than they will have to give back to the PNG club. So they will make a profit from the deal. NO other club can GAURANTEE they will add that much to the TV deal, unless the TV companies here say that they will. Brisbane probably would add that much, maybe even Perth, but no other club can go to the NRL and say "we have a gauranteed $X to contribute". PNG does. And it's in the bid. And it money ON TOP OF anything the Australian TV companies will pay.

BDGS

Bench
I had to dig this out but I guess an announcement will be made as soon as Mr Smith & LEK get back to the PNG Bid team.

http://www.globalmediasports.com/news.html#p7APMc1_4

THE PNG NRL Bid is moving ahead in leaps and bounds thanks to a strategically co-ordinated roll out program. This week saw the bid move to the next level with media rights expert Colin Smith arriving in PNG from Australia to gauge the economic environment and the media market.
At a media conference at the Ela Beach Hotel yesterday in Port Moresby, he said he liked what he saw. "It has been an eye opener for me. I have come at a very exciting time. My role is to develop a media model so that people can watch NRL." Smith said however that there were two main aspects, firstly was to make sure there was quality coverage and secondly how to make it commercial and sustainable to go forward and how it translated to a revenue model. Smith, who has been in Port Moresby for a week, said PNG was "one of the best kept secrets."
"PNG will be the next boom country of the globe in the next 20 years," the media rights expert said. He said he would be working on a costings for a media rights program, a draft of which would be presented to the PNG NRL Bid when he next visits here in for weeks time.
Colin Smith, the boss of LEK's regiona sports, gaming, media and entertainment division, is regarded as Australia's best sports broadcast advisor and has worked on the biggest TV deals in Australia's sporting history. He has engineered contracts and deals that now see more than $350 million generated though professional sports. While in PNG Smith has met key banks, sponsors of the bid such as Ela Motors and met with the major media companies represented in PNG. Bid general manager Bev Broughton said Smith's visit was a quantum leap forward for the bid.

Will they bring in $70 million by just being in existence?

How could any new team bring more to the NRL competition then a foundation team does? :crazy:
Easily. What does a foundation member bring? History? You can't take that to the bank. Brisbane brought more to the game in 1988 than most/all of the foundation clubs. The Warriors did too, in 1995.

Eels Dude

Coach
What did I just say? They will get more money from a TV deal to PNG than they will have to give back to the PNG club. So they will make a profit from the deal. NO other club can GAURANTEE they will add that much to the TV deal, unless the TV companies here say that they will. Brisbane probably would add that much, maybe even Perth, but no other club can go to the NRL and say "we have a gauranteed $X to contribute". PNG does. And it's in the bid. And it money ON TOP OF anything the Australian TV companies will pay.

Ok you are completely missing my point.

Television networks make their money from advertising. Advertising revenue comes from the consumers in that market seeing the advertisements and investing in those products.

The decision for where to expand to will be determined by which bid will attract the most money, in Australian dollars, for advertising revenue. Because that's what networks pay for. PNG offers nothing in that in comparison to other expansion areas due to the fact the average wage in PNG is something like 3000 Aussie dollars per annum.

BDGS

Bench
Easily. What does a foundation member bring? History? You can't take that to the bank. Brisbane brought more to the game in 1988 than most/all of the foundation clubs. The Warriors did too, in 1995.

That's a load of BS, the competition wouldn't be worth shit f*** all without history.

Otherwise the A-league would be sitting on a Billion dollar TV deal, they have teams evenly spread throughout Australia, but doesn't have any history. Therefore, worth less.

Ok you are completely missing my point.

Television networks make their money from advertising. Advertising revenue comes from the consumers in that market seeing the advertisements and investing in those products.

The decision for where to expand to will be determined by which bid will attract the most money, in Australian dollars, for advertising revenue. Because that's what networks pay for. PNG offers nothing in that in comparison to other expansion areas due to the fact the average wage in PNG is something like 3000 Aussie dollars per annum.
No, you completely miss the point. The NRL can sell the rights to show the NRL to PNG and that money will be IN ADDITION to anything any Australian network will pay. You're like most short-sighted Sydney centric fans, you think everything revolves around Australia and Australian networks. It doesn't. The NRL already sells rights to New Zealand. This will be exactly the same, except it will be a brand new market and a financial windfall for the NRL they would not get otherwise.

That's a load of BS, the competition wouldn't be worth shit f*** all without history.

Otherwise the A-league would be sitting on a Billion dollar TV deal, they have teams evenly spread throughout Australia, but doesn't have any history. Therefore, worth less.
You're a complete tard if you think that reference has any relevance. But just to humour you, answer this. Is A League is worth more than the old NSL?

Eels Dude

Coach
No, you completely miss the point. The NRL can sell the rights to show the NRL to PNG and that money will be IN ADDITION to anything any Australian network will pay. You're like most short-sighted Sydney centric fans, you think everything revolves around Australia and Australian networks. It doesn't. The NRL already sells rights to New Zealand. This will be exactly the same, except it will be a brand new market and a financial windfall for the NRL they would not get otherwise.

No, you completely miss the point.

The NRL needs to decide WHERE to expand to. The Australian television networks will be willing to pay MORE money for the rights if we expand into Perth, QLD, or even Gosford, as OPPOSED to PNG. You add a side in any of the areas and there's an extra 50 million to the TV deal. You add a side from PNG the Australian TV networks bidding for broadcasting rights won't even bat an eyelid. PNG TV networks aren't going to pay 50 million for TV rights, and that's what we lose by not expanding to a more sensible area.