What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

Loudstrat

Coach
IMHO the best option for PNG is for the ARL/NZRL to jointly fund an academy for local leagies to train up to QRL/Jim Beqam Cup standards (aiuming at NRL), using those comps, plus PNG's international schedule to produce a steady stream of first grade standard players for employment in the NRL/ESL. IN short, produce Noa Nadrukus.

The PNG bid is accompanied by a plea for Australian Govt funding. So Austra;lia puts a side in Moresby - when it could fund one in Perth.

As for plans to play in Darwin - LOL at the crowd issue. From these angles - it seems like a farce.

The only other benefit could be that Lam Oval in Port Moresby could be Souths home ground from 2013.

Yosh

Coach
Honestly I cant see why not... The travel can be a bit bothersome being quite far etc etc, but is it any further then Perth? Not really right? One day I would really like to see a system like the English Premier League with like 4 or 5 divisions and the promotion and relegation thing going. Hopefully we will see like 18 or so teams in the top division, and 20 or so in the next couple of divions and see promotions and stuff every year... However this would probably require either Rugby Union or AFL to die etc etc... I can only dream...

Raider Ultra

Bench
Will NEVER happen. The country is pretty much a failed state. Can you really see any decent players wanting to move to one of the most dangerous cities in the world, when they can earn the same coin in Australia?

BrisVegas

Juniors
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1224351449054.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Resourceful PNG has big backing for entry into the NRL

Roy Masters | October 24, 2008

MINING magnate Clive Palmer is the impetus behind Papua New Guinea's bid to enter a team in the NRL within a decade, the rich energy resources of the country being both the lure and the means of financing the franchise.

As PNG prepare to play England tomorrow in the opening World Cup game in Townsville, momentum for the bid is growing, with the NRL's newest club, the Titans, providing advice on how to clear the numerous hurdles the NRL is expected to raise.

Former PNG Minister for Defence Ben Sabumei, the immediate past president of the PNGRL, is likely to head the bid team that has co-opted Titans chairman Paul Broughton, the code's most experienced active official. Sabumei predicted PNG's untapped energy resources and mineral wealth would finance a future team and build a stadium in Port Moresby via tax concessions offered to mining investors.

"We expect that $US30 billion ($45b) will be invested in PNG over the next 30 years, generating enormous revenue for the country," said Sabumei, arguing the country is largely immune from the world's financial meltdown. With money coming in at the rate of $US1b a year, a lot of companies will make a lot of money and we can give them tax breaks if they build a stadium and finance our team. If we find these investors, we won't have to put our hand out to the government for a free handout."

Palmer, who owns the Gold Coast A-League team, met with PNG ministers mid year.

"Clive Palmer came up here some months back and I met with him and the Minister for Energy," Sabumei said. "We were supposed to talk oil and gas in PNG but we talked for an hour on rugby league. All he wanted to talk about was how good it would be to have an NRL team."

Palmer, who also sponsors the Southport Tigers rugby league team, suggested Sabumei liaise with Titans officials.

PNG's Prime Minister, Sir Michael Somare, subsequently became involved, writing to Broughton on September 27: "Two of my Ministers, Hon. William Duma and Hon Philemon Embel, have spoken to me of your efforts and encouragement for a PNG team into the NRL competition … The experience gained by the Titans club under your leadership will be relevant and necessary for PNG to emulate when it commences its journey towards meeting the requirements of the NRL."

Australia's Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, has been briefed and plans to ask Queensland coach Mal Meninga to advise on the development of PNG players.

"Our PM is in talks with Rudd," Sabumei said. "The political will is there. We need scholarships for our boys to go to Australia and we need to establish an academy here. A lot of Queensland companies do business in PNG."

Queensland's 89-member Parliament will sit in Cairns next week, and the guest of honour is Somare, while Santos, Oil Search and Lihir Gold are big players in PNG and based in Australia, along with banking giants ANZ and Westpac. Meninga enjoys a godlike status in PNG.

Still, not all Australians are popular in PNG. The country's Post-Courier newspaper quoted Kumuls coach Adrian Lam from a speech the former NRL first-grader gave at a farewell reception for the team.

Upset that TV interests have joined PNG in a pool with the giants - New Zealand, England and Australia - Lam said: "No one cares about us and I did everything I could to change the draw.

"I argued with them [organisers] for three hours but got nowhere … We will be stronger, we won't be broken and we will give it to them, the British.

"Now I am asking from the bottom of my heart for the Kumuls to understand that special things come to special people and we will stay positive and play hard for the country. We will give it to them, the British."

Because PNG is a member country of the International Rugby League Board, it can't enter a team in the NRL, in the same way the New Zealand Warriors are a separate entity to the NZRL and owned by Kiwi businessman Eric Watson. Sabumei understands this and plans to raise a private consortium.

"Once we let it be known that our government backs us, business will jump in," he predicts. "We're looking at a time frame of six to 10 years.

"Paul Broughton will be on our bid team with Mal Meninga, plus one or two others with connections in Australia and our businessmen here.

"Clive Palmer enthused us. He took us to a Titans match and an Origin game."

Broughton confirmed this, saying Palmer had outlaid $20,000 and the Titans $5000 on tickets and entertainment for PNG officials at the June 11 Origin match and the Manly game at Skilled Park. "He met with the PNG PM and offered to assist by way of contacting the Titans and in hosting the delegates and the ARL were quite happy for me to proceed," Broughton said.

However, the ARL would only be partly involved in the decision to include a PNG team, as it is a member of the NRL Partnership Committee. The NRL is likely to raise the same hurdles the Titans relentlessly cleared, including a stadium, revenue guarantees and travel commitments.

"We hope Clive Palmer will invest here but we are also sure there are other Clive Palmers around who will want to see the benefits an NRL team can bring and how it will improve the lives of our people," Sabumei said.

"We have six million people here and it will be seven million by the time we get an NRL team."

Broughton said it was not just about a football team. "It's as much about sport influencing culture, about the patriotism PNG felt after World War II and respect from your Pacific Island neighbours," he said. "It's about heroes and pride and recognition in being part of a national sporting competition in another country."

sharko

Juniors
The mining magnates just want a free ride to strip what resources they can out of the country, pay their bribes to the pollies and pollute whatever rivers and coasts they have not done so already.
Infrastructure for the people is the priority, HIV is rampant, sexual abuse by ex pats and locals is rife, poverty is the reality and whether you are a miner or logger or league star you will still get rolled because you are white and percieved to have valuables.
This is obviously a ploy to distract from whtever is going on in the background with the admin of league..I am hoping Gallop and his cohorts will be booted and the game brought under the one umbrella.

Perth Red

Post Whore
My colleague works for the W.H.O. in PNG and some of the realities of the country are very scary. A NRL team would undoubtebly give the country a real boost but if I was the PM I think I could find far more important areas to be spending concessions and taxes from mining countries.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24627049-5001023,00.html

PNG Govt commits $20m to NRL team
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Steve Mascord

November 10, 2008 12:00am

PAPUA New Guinea's Government last night committed $20 million to an NRL bid and claimed Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd wants a PNG team in the premiership.

PNG Prime Minister Michael Somare announced the $20 million figure when he presented the Kumuls with their jerseys before the pool one World Cup game against Australia at Dairy Farmers Stadium.

"Mr Rudd informed me that he met with the ARL and NRL two weeks ago and asked them to report back on the long-term business plan with a view to including a PNG team in the Australian competition," Somare said in a statement.

"It goes much deeper than the entry of a PNG team. The commitment of both governments to work together to progress this sport's initiative will take our renewed bilateral relations to newer heights."

Mr Somare said he would work hard on the development of infrastructure necessary, including a stadium, administration, TV rights and technical expertise to make a PNG NRL team a reality.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I'd love to see a PNG team in the NRL...but couldn't 20 mill be spent a lot more wisely in PNG?

sydraider

First Grade
They should have been shown more respect in the world cup. got a lot more balls than the other blow in teams that were makeshift for the tournament, France should have been the team put into the A group.

ali

Bench
The money will be well spent increasing the awareness of PNG issues in Australia. I also think they could use the new team to help boost their tourist industry.

The players can also be poster boys on issues such as Aids.

I think the boost to national pride could also do good things for PNG. Lastly, I think PNG within a few years of being in the NRL, could become an exporter of playing talent. That way, if there are more Papuans in the NRL, sending money home to their relatives, it can only be good for the country.

boxa777

Coach
I wasn't so sure before but I am now. I really would like the NRL to give the PNG nation a side in the NRL.

I heard Stuart's press conference last night and he mentioned that the PNG side looked well coach and I agree with him. Nice structures in attack and impressive defence. A couple of Australia's tries had some good fortune about them so the performance last night was quite credible indeed.

Then the clincher was the interview with Stanley Gene. He has bled for his country and tried his arse out time and again and you could see on his face what it would mean to him to have a PNG side in the NRL. He spoke with great insight as well about PNG youngsters playing in feeder clubs, NYC clubs etc. Learn to crawl before you can walk.

But what does it offer the NRL?

Plenty in my opinion. Provided the infrastructure is there and a new stadium built with the capital promised by the PM of PNG, I can't see how this venture would not succeed.

It is the national sport in PNG and they would pack out the stadium each week. Logistically it isn't too much worse than having an Auckland based side.

I never thought too much about the ability of the PNG team until this world cup and really see some massive potential in the side given some assistance. Imagine a PNG side in the NRL and the benefits it would make to their national side and the International game itself.

Bring them in!

Latest posts