What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

macnaz

Staff member
Why when we talk about a team in PNG does pay tv and costs always dominate the discussion. WE have dumb Melbourne storm costing the NRL sh*tloads and we all accept that , and their contribution to the expansion of our game is a failure. At least PNG would provide positives to this great game unlike an unwatched team down south.

... COME ON THE FUZZY WUZZY'S ..:)

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
as much as i usuallyhate STC, he's so right on thismatter about cultural differences. Its not racist or having a go at a particular culture, its more defining how certain cultural traits contradict with what is accepted/beneficial in Australian culture. Certainly, the kinship nature of Aboriginal culture would make the average aboriginal have a tougher time adapting to the rigours of professional RL, however there could be many Aboriginal people immersed in the Australian culture (so this wouldn't apply.)

gottabegood

Juniors
The people are willing, the government is willing, the wealthy corporates are willing, it's the national game......nice base for attack......how hard can it be.

There is no question that Australia and England need to do whatever they can to lead the game in their respective areas to help spread the good word.

The massive goodwill alone created in PNG and across the whole pacific would be priceless.

There also would be a strong chance that this would harness the PNG people to accelerate the steps away from the 3rd world, it's gotta be good.

Why not I say.

nqcowboy87

Bench
when will this go away, anybody on these forums who thinks its a great idea, i want you too book a return flight to port moresby(the capital of the country) to find out first hand about this country. dont get me wrong as ive said many times before i love png, 4 generations of my family grew up in rabaul, but png has way too many problemslike crime, poverty, political corruptness etc. somare should be focused on getting his country in order before he decides he wants an nrl team. there are som extremely talented players up there, maybe a idea would be to gte some sp cup players and offer tehm trials or incentive based contracts with qcup, nsw cup or even nrl squads and pay for their travel and accom and maybe make their contract exempt or partly exempt from the cap.

Dogs Of War

Coach
when will this go away, anybody on these forums who thinks its a great idea, i want you too book a return flight to port moresby(the capital of the country) to find out first hand about this country. dont get me wrong as ive said many times before i love png, 4 generations of my family grew up in rabaul, but png has way too many problemslike crime, poverty, political corruptness etc. somare should be focused on getting his country in order before he decides he wants an nrl team. there are som extremely talented players up there, maybe a idea would be to gte some sp cup players and offer tehm trials or incentive based contracts with qcup, nsw cup or even nrl squads and pay for their travel and accom and maybe make their contract exempt or partly exempt from the cap.

Do you think having a team in the area would help solidify the nation as a whole though? A greater national identity could be the first step to helping the nation along, and a NRL team may provide that.

That said, the NRL could be doing more to assist, like making PNG players only count for say 25-50% under the cap, which in turn will hopefully see more of these players being courted by NRL teams.

Last edited:

gottabegood

Juniors

You can say the same about most countries in the world, there is no perfect timing for anything, if the everyone is willing then that is the foundation to get it working.

If this is seriously be considered the nrl/esl/irl etc should then meet to form a world club comp of say 18 teams which includes teams based in Soviet Russia(Russian Bears) China(China Panda's) India(India Cobras) Japan(Japanese Zeros) and criminal US (US Imperials)

The problem with rupert league was they expected people in a range of countries to tune in to watch something they had no real connection with. By placing teams in these countries there will be that connection in supporting the local side and this will grow the game domestically in these countries too.

I am sure the Chinese government for example can make the games compulsory viewing- think about the money from advertising merchandise, free to air and pay tv, radio,internet etc etc just from China.

Footaball as laszlo urge calls it cannot have a world club comp leaving union and or league the only code that can- the first that does will make a killing.

png has way too many problemslike crime, poverty, political corruptness etc...

Sounds like Queensland. One time I was in Port Moresby one of the locals was telling me she would never want to live in Sydney as it was too violent - Too many murders etc, and that it was much safer in PM. While I don't agree I thought it was interesting the perception people get of a place based on what they see and read in the media.

A NQ-based Qld cup side that plays an occasional match in Port Moresby sounds the go.

I can't see an NRL side for decades, that place is a nightmare.

reptar

Juniors
png has way too many problemslike crime, poverty, political corruptness etc...

Sounds like Queensland. One time I was in Port Moresby one of the locals was telling me she would never want to live in Sydney as it was too violent - Too many murders etc, and that it was much safer in PM. While I don't agree I thought it was interesting the perception people get of a place based on what they see and read in the media.

It is funny how people perceive things that they read in the press. Having recently been in Port Moresby, though, I feel a lot safer in Sydney than Port Moresby.

XIII

Juniors
Tough call. PNG is not safe but they are footy mad up there. Maybe a team in the QLD cup first to see how it go's.

Iafeta

Referee
The warriors whilst havent won, have had some good years and produced some good players. I think a PNG side would want to promote and develop PNG players.

I think he's getting at the fact that the Warriors still haven't really competed as a 'Kiwi' only team.

Looking at next year's roster, Price, Tate, McKinnon, Luck, Lillyman, Henderson, Kemp, at the least are going to be very heavily involved. Not withstanding the fringe players like Fien, Witt, Rovelli et al.

The question beyond that is how many New Zealand/Australian players would want to move to Port Moresby to play? Hands up if you would, seriously, given the drop in socio-economic standing... I can honestly say I wouldn't move there for work, particularly away from Australia where quite frankly we have a great lifestyle.

Iafeta

Referee
Overall;

No.

A) Too many security issues
B) Poor health systems and poor health in general
C) A&B don't really entice players
D) The economy isn't strong, to actually pay to the NRL salary cap level they'd need to be charging fair old ticket prices which the economy can't sustain
E) There are more pressing issues looking at the Sydney club structure, then we have Perth, Adelaide, Sunshine Coast, Central Coast, Wellington et al to consider for development. They all have the potential for far greater economic business models.
F) Economically it would be a costly venture to fly in and out of Port Moresby. Furthermore, I'm not sure a team of locals is going to find it that easy to relocate here every second week - the Warriors already struggle with it and they're from a developed country with sports scientists still trying to figure it out
G) Poor stadia, there's going to have to be a whole heap of infrastructure put into it. Where's the money going to come from? The Govt seriously can't afford it, it would be irresponsible for either the PNG Govt to expend in this area ahead of every-day life and death issues they face, and completely irresponsible of the Australian Govt to support as again they are in some ways lagging behind some of the other advanced countries in terms of infrastructure development to sustain Australia's boom beyond the mining boom

Sorry, can't see it happening. Really don't want to see it happening either due to the risks involved from either end.

Eels Dude

Coach
Anyone who thinks this is a good idea I completely lose respect for. The arguments against have been clearly stated by other posters so I won't go into it any more. But fair dinkum, anyone who even thinks this is remotely possible is delusional.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
Courier Mail has a story about it stating that the private sector would be used to pay for it so as not to cost the government. Also, games would be played in Darwin (though it'd be a PNG side) and it'd be strongly linked with the QRL.

The PNGRFL would look to enter a junior team 1st ala Warriors.

Also a statement that it would unite the country of 800 cultural backgrounds & really start the country moving forward.

If they can get it privately funded so it's financially viable, I'm all for it!

LESStar58

Referee
We won't expand the comp as long as Gallop is in charge but in a perfect world an NRL team playing out of Port Moresby would be fantastic!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
A NRL club might be a while away but in the meantime PNG citizens should be given greater allowances to play footy in Australia. IIRC Cairns' QLD Cup team tried to bring over a couple of quality PNG players but they were blocked by immigration or someone. How is that going to help the game up there? The NRL needs to lobby the government to see if they can get special rules made just for bringing over talented players.

Latest posts