What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why aren't we talking about taking a fixture there at least once a year though?
The government could buy 1 fixture right?
Because its dangerous, stinking hot and Tv doesnt want to go there to cover it. They couldnt even send the prime ministers XIII there this year!
They cant even get one game there, and some think they should have a whole season!

carinashark

First Grade
But it’s got nothing to do with economics!
PNGPride would get 5mil from the Tv/ NRL.
15 mil from the Au’s government (us).
That 20mil would be a start and cheap for what we would get, and Stop China dead. Why because it would be conditional.
NRL= No China.
Another plus’s would be a showcase of their talent and over time that would spill over into the other teams.
They can have Josh Hannay as their coach. Wait no he is to scientific, bring on Flanno!

Brian potter

Bench
But it’s got nothing to do with economics!
PNGPride would get 5mil from the Tv/ NRL.
15 mil from the Au’s government (us).
That 20mil would be a start and cheap for what we would get, and Stop China dead. Why because it would be conditional.
NRL= No China.
Another plus’s would be a showcase of their talent and over time that would spill over into the other teams.
They can have Josh Hannay as their coach. Wait no he is to scientific, bring on Flanno!
And can you guarantee that future PNG governments won't want closer ties with China both economically and militarily?

Brian potter

Bench
Maybe the best scenario would be for China to invest billions into the PNG economy and infrastructure projects raising the standard of living for the people of PNG and that Canberra adopts a position of neutrality instead of hanging onto the hegemonic coat tails of a fading superpower.

Then in 20-30 years time PNG might be able to stand on it's own 2 feet and be in a position to enter a side in the NRL without depending on government handouts from home and abroad.

Wb1234

Referee
Maybe the best scenario would be for China to invest billions into the PNG economy and infrastructure projects raising the standard of living for the people of PNG and that Canberra adopts a position of neutrality instead of hanging onto the hegemonic coat tails of a fading superpower.

Then in 20-30 years time PNG might be able to stand on it's own 2 feet and be in a position to enter a side in the NRL without depending on government handouts from home and abroad.
Interesting post

not bad

Brian potter

Bench
Interesting post

not bad
As much as I love RL and PNGRL for that matter it still is after all only a game and people's wellbeing and standards of living will always come first.

So if China is offering the better deal then the PNG government should snap their hand off in order to raise the standard of living for its citizens.

There's absolutely no reason why any cooperation between PNG and the NRL should suffer from whomever the PNG government align themselves with and there's no reason why we can't have the best of both worlds.

Pneuma

First Grade
As much as I love RL and PNGRL for that matter it still is after all only a game and people's wellbeing and standards of living will always come first.

So if China is offering the better deal then the PNG government should snap their hand off in order to raise the standard of living for its citizens.

There's absolutely no reason why any cooperation between PNG and the NRL should suffer from whomever the PNG government align themselves with and there's no reason why we can't have the best of both worlds.
This is our little friend who is a Putin lover. His views need to be seen in that light.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Because its dangerous, stinking hot and Tv doesnt want to go there to cover it. They couldnt even send the prime ministers XIII there this year!
They cant even get one game there, and some think they should have a whole season!
But we do play a prime ministers 13...
So we can organise an NRL fixture.
I have no idea why you'd be against organising 1 freaking game for PNG..
heart of stone

Gobsmacked

Bench

So far most countries China " helps " go bankrupt ...
They loan a bunch of money you can't afford to pay back to a corrupt government, those in power get rich while the country inherents a ballooning debt.
Happening all over the world.
I was in Sri lanka when they ran out of fuel...
f**k China.

Wb1234

Referee
So far most countries China " helps " go bankrupt ...
They loan a bunch of money you can't afford to pay back to a corrupt government, those in power get rich while the country inherents a ballooning debt.
Happening all over the world.
I was in Sri lanka when they ran out of fuel...
f**k China.
This is true

however it’s pretty standard for america too

there’s a book called economic hitmen which talks how America has been doing this for 50 years

loans were made to countries knowing they couldn’t pay them back then they would have to agree to us bases or vote a certain way in the un

Perth Red

Post Whore
But we do play a prime ministers 13...
So we can organise an NRL fixture.
I have no idea why you'd be against organising 1 freaking game for PNG..
heart of stone
I’m not, it’d be great, but they pulled the pm13 game out of there this year and there has never been any indication of a plan to hold a nrl game there. Dream all you like though.

Gobsmacked

Bench
I’m not, it’d be great, but they pulled the pm13 game out of there this year and there has never been any indication of a plan to hold a nrl game there. Dream all you like though.
It's no dream mate.
They pulled 1 games. Get over it.
There's no plan, sure but if the prime minister is jawboning an NRL team based in PNG. Then why wouldn't they pay for a game to be showcased there.
Just for once admit you're completely wrong.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's no dream mate.
They pulled 1 games. Get over it.
There's no plan, sure but if the prime minister is jawboning an NRL team based in PNG. Then why wouldn't they pay for a game to be showcased there.
Just for once admit you're completely wrong.
Lets revisit in 5 years. If by some miracle there has been an NRL game held in PNG I'll happily concede I was wrong!