What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police harassed me: El Masri

gunnamatta bay

Referee
TeamSatan said:
Your not a real man in NSW unless the cops have hassled you for nothing..........HEY they do it to everyone they feel like here........Just a whinger ....sometimes footballers think they are so freakin special....welcome to the real world.

I have not seen any evidence El Masri is complaining about not being instantly recognised. Correct me if I'm wrong.

innsaneink

Referee
I heard Hazem asked today on 2GB why he thought the whole incident was racially motivated.

His reply:

"Well, what else could it be"?

Pretty lame imo, and wouldnt last 2 seconds in any anti discrimanation hearing.

perverse

Referee
innsaneink said:
I heard Hazem asked today on 2GB why he thought the whole incident was racially motivated.

His reply:

"Well, what else could it be"?

Pretty lame imo, and wouldnt last 2 seconds in any anti discrimanation hearing.
that is a shocking response. wow. :shock:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
http://nrl.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/4603/Default.aspx

El Masri lodges complaint over police

Monday, April 16, 2007 - 5:47 PM

Rugby league star Hazem El Masri and lawyer Adam Houda have lodged an official complaint about their questioning by police outside a Sydney cafe.

In the four-page letter of complaint sent to NSW Police Commissioner Ken Moroney and Flemington police, Mr Houda said he had asked for an apology and for the officers involved to be counselled about the incident.

Mr Houda and Mr El Masri say they were surrounded by nine officers from five patrol cars after they refused to produce identification while sitting outside a cafe in Regents Park last Thursday about 11pm (AEST).

Mr Houda said he believes the confrontation was racially motivated.

Police are still to confirm they had received the complaint, but NSW Acting Assistant Police Commissioner Frank Mennilli has backed the officers' right to request identification.

Mr Mennilli said the trio were sitting on a council bench late at night and there had been a number of recent break-ins and vandalism in the area.

He rejected allegations the men were questioned because they were of Middle Eastern appearance.

Mr Houda said the officers had claimed to be responding to a noise complaint and did not mention any robbery.

El Masri, a high-profile player with the Bulldogs, said it was unlikely a thief would hang around after a robbery.

"All we're after is an apology," he told Macquarie Radio.

"We weren't aggressive, we weren't loud, we were still sitting down, all of a sudden he calls for back-up and we had up to nine police officers ... within two minutes.

"We were sitting down in a polite manner."

Mr Houda said the questioning was not related to the group's conduct.

"We want police spoken to, we want assurances that this type of thing won't happen again," he said.

"It's a principal stance and we want some benefit to flow from this.

"We don't want law suits, we just want the right thing to be done."

Mr Mennilli said police were just doing their job and the community would think police were remiss if officers did not ask the men what they were doing there at that time of night.

However, he said he could not confirm how many officers had approached the men or explain why back-up was called for.

Once El Masri had been identified, the officers left, he said.
Source: AAP

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:|

They were middle eastern descent men sitting in a public place at night. I think it speaks for itself why he believes it was racially motivated.

CharlieF

Juniors
Dodger said:

They were middle eastern descent men sitting in a public place at night. I think it speaks for itself why he believes it was racially motivated.

You are not excluded from standard police procedures just because you are of Middle Eastern appearance, so why would he believe that.

innsaneink

Referee
Dodger said:

So that means every middle eastern man thats spoken to by police is racially harassed.

I guess that means everyone in Australia thats spoken to by police is racially harassed, seeing as everyone has a racial background of some sort.

NFI todger!

Mr Saab

Referee
Dodger said:

Stick to making banners after that comment.

i think hazem needs to just focus on the dogs know, i think this week would be a must win game for us, even though its early we havent had the best start so far.

although i think its important to hazem if they do apologise, i doubt they will because they believe they were just doing their job, and its been about 4 days since the incident, i think if they were going to apologise they would have done it by know.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
innsaneink said:
Legs crossed I assume.

Odd statement.

Gees the attacks are getting weak now. He was obviously saying that when they were approached by the police they politely turned down their request to produce identification because it was not justified. The police appear to have become miffed by this. They are probably so used to running round getting what they want, slightly power mad, their whole world came crashing down when they were suddently confronted with men, not boys, who know their rights.

their stand is pretty clear,

if two people like Hasem and Adam Houda roll over to a police request when there was no clear justification to ask for ID what will these police officers do the next day when confronting people who do not know their rights? allowing the police to constantly push the envelope means nothing more than a further degredation of our rights.

this is a great reality check for NSW police , the publicity alone should make some cops think twice next time.

good on them for their stand IMO.

herbert henry1908 said:
their stand is pretty clear,

if two people like Hasem and Adam Houda roll over to a police request when there was no clear justification to ask for ID what will these police officers do the next day when confronting people who do not know their rights? allowing the police to constantly push the envelope means nothing more than a further degredation of our rights.

this is a great reality check for NSW police , the publicity alone should make some cops think twice next time.

good on them for their stand IMO.

The publicity should make them think twice...what is El Masri a messiah for everything that is right in society ???.:sarcasm:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
kia ora storm said:
what is El Masri a messiah for everything that is right in society ???.:sarcasm:
Is that a real question?

Hard to tell with such an astute line of argument.

innsaneink

Referee
gunnamatta bay said:
Gees the attacks are getting weak now. He was obviously saying that when they were approached by the police they politely turned down their request to produce identification because it was not justified. The police appear to have become miffed by this. They are probably so used to running round getting what they want, slightly power mad, their whole world came crashing down when they were suddently confronted with men, not boys, who know their rights.
Attacks?
Where? :lol:

Youre as thin skinned as hazem & his mate

"We were sitting down in a polite manner."
transalates to
He was obviously saying that when they were approached by the police they politely turned down their request to produce identification because it was not justified.
Obviously. :roll:

Yep, continue to focus on anything but the racial aspect.
What is weak is El Masris reply when asked why he thinks its racially based.
:crazy: "Well, what else could it be?!?!" :crazy:

Latest posts