What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police harassed me: El Masri

johns_reds

First Grade
I'm a 3rd generation immigrant and i respect the laws and the police officers doing there job, I've been asked numerous times for ID and do i complain? no, i hand it over and it is done, simple as that.

If Hazem doesn't like the way the police operate then go back to Lebanon, we're not asking him to stay here. Let me tell you he wouldn't be sitting on a bench at 11:00pm at night over there, he'd be too scared to. So if he wants to sit on a bench in Australia at 11:00pm at night he has to recognize that the police are trying to keep him and others safe, a simple thing like asking for ID does help the police if there is trouble in the area later that night, it would help the police track down witnesses or offenders if something did happen. There is no reason to turn this into an 'us vs them' thing, he is apparently a admired leader of his community, how about he acts like one

Balmain Bug

Juniors
herbert henry1908 said:
their stand is pretty clear,

if two people like Hasem and Adam Houda roll over to a police request when there was no clear justification to ask for ID what will these police officers do the next day when confronting people who do not know their rights? allowing the police to constantly push the envelope means nothing more than a further degredation of our rights.

this is a great reality check for NSW police , the publicity alone should make some cops think twice next time.

good on them for their stand IMO.

Excellent comment. The best on this thread.

Bigfella

Coach
Yep, couldn't agree more.

In fact, if he wants to go about blatantly sitting on benches, he should:

1. Get a license from an approved public authority
2. A note from his mother
3. Provide evidence of his income and assets in excess of $200,000 before utilizng bench-sitting privileges
4. Report daily to police
5. Provide documentary proof that the bench is being used for non-terrorist purposes, preferably in writing from at least 3 radio talk back hosts

Otherwise, nest thing we know there will be people of every race and colour wanting to sit on our benches willy-nilly.

When that happens we will need to giove police the right to shoot them on sight. The sooner that happens, the better.

And while we're on it, if only 9 police can be summonmed to investigate a report of public bench-sitting on short notice, we clearly need another 1000 officers appointed immediately with full access to ammunition and urgent bench-prevention training.

perverse

Referee
johns_reds said:
I'm a 3rd generation immigrant and i respect the laws and the police officers doing there job, I've been asked numerous times for ID and do i complain? no, i hand it over and it is done, simple as that.

If Hazem doesn't like the way the police operate then go back to Lebanon, we're not asking him to stay here. Let me tell you he wouldn't be sitting on a bench at 11:00pm at night over there, he'd be too scared to. So if he wants to sit on a bench in Australia at 11:00pm at night he has to recognize that the police are trying to keep him and others safe, a simple thing like asking for ID does help the police if there is trouble in the area later that night, it would help the police track down witnesses or offenders if something did happen. There is no reason to turn this into an 'us vs them' thing, he is apparently a admired leader of his community, how about he acts like one
Well said mate. :clap:

rofl i still can't believe the "WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE?!?". that has me gobsmacked.

it actually seems to me that hazem has taken some very poor advice from his manager on this play.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
kia ora storm said:
Answer the question without getting B%tchy...:roll:
Bitchy? :lol:
Look in the mirror.

Do you really think your question was to be taken seriously?

I don't know... you tell me: Is El Masri is the messiah for all that is right?

perverse

Referee
Willow said:
Bitchy? :lol:
Look in the mirror.

Do you really think your question was to be taken seriously?

I don't know... you tell me: Is El Masri is the messiah for all that is right?
all the victims on the board would have you believe so.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
innsaneink said:
Attacks?
Where? :lol:

Youre as thin skinned as hazem & his mate

You clearly made a big joke of his choice of words when it is quite clear what he meant. Have you nothing better?

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Bigfella said:
Yep, couldn't agree more.

In fact, if he wants to go about blatantly sitting on benches, he should:

1. Get a license from an approved public authority
2. A note from his mother
3. Provide evidence of his income and assets in excess of $200,000 before utilizng bench-sitting privileges
4. Report daily to police
5. Provide documentary proof that the bench is being used for non-terrorist purposes, preferably in writing from at least 3 radio talk back hosts

Otherwise, nest thing we know there will be people of every race and colour wanting to sit on our benches willy-nilly.

When that happens we will need to giove police the right to shoot them on sight. The sooner that happens, the better.

And while we're on it, if only 9 police can be summonmed to investigate a report of public bench-sitting on short notice, we clearly need another 1000 officers appointed immediately with full access to ammunition and urgent bench-prevention training.

Excellent post bigfella. Anyone sitting on a bench at the ungodly hour of 11pm on a Thursday night is obviously up to something. They should shoot and ask questions later cuase you can never be too careful as they might be human bombs.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Last time I saw the police in my local shopping centre at 11pm they were parked in a no stopping zone buying take away food. I was across the street waiting for my wife who was in the late night chemist. I want to know why they didnt run across the street, assume the combat postion and call for me to freeze.

How many others have snuck aout at 11pm at night and got away with it?

Its time we have a curfew!!!

gunnamatta bay

Referee
johns_reds said:

Get real. This is Sydney not Sleepy Hollow.

What don't you people understand about having the right to sit on a bench at 11pm having a chat without the gestapo demanding your id?

If the cops were so concerned why didnt they arrest them? Why? Because they had nothing and no right to demand even the time of day.

eaglezno1

Juniors
gunnamatta bay said:
Get real. This is Sydney not Sleepy Hollow.

What don't you people understand about having the right to sit on a bench at 11pm having a chat without the gestapo demanding your id?

If the cops were so concerned why didnt they arrest them? Why? Because they had nothing and no right to demand even the time of day.

the problem was that they were at the wrong area at the wrong time.

who would want to rave around bankstown in the middle of the night :crazy:

johns_reds

First Grade
who the f*ck sits on a park bench at 11pm besides the homeless and dodgy people?

you do have the right to sit on a bench late at night but you have to realize your going to look a bit dodgy, why couldn't they go back to someone's house? or continue the conversation somewhere else like a bar or at their car? why couldn't they just discuss it the next day? They have to realize when sitting on a bench outside shops that are closed and that had been vandalized and broken into recently is just asking for trouble.

CharlieF

Juniors
No one is questioning anybodies rights to sit anywhere. Nobody was stopped from having a chat on a bench at 11pm. Somebody was stopped from doing their work correctly for the WHOLE community because he considered his rights (which were never infringed upon) to be above all others.

The issue was that somebody was asked to identify themselves in relation to ongoing disturbances or crimes in the area. The police asked for identity to rule out/in any offenders, as they are entitled to by LAW.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
CharlieF said:
No one is questioning anybodies rights to sit anywhere. Nobody was stopped from having a chat on a bench at 11pm. .

Incorrect. These men were approached by the police who proceeded to demand their id.

Somebody was stopped from doing their work correctly for the WHOLE community

Incorrect. The police were not justified under the circumstances to demand their id which is clearly a breach of their rights. They should know better because they would have been taught this at the academy.

because he considered his rights (which were never infringed upon) to be above all others.

Incorrect. His rights were infringed because the demand was not lawful. He was defending those rights. We citizens are provided with equal rights.

The issue was that somebody was asked to identify themselves in relation to ongoing disturbances or crimes in the area. The police asked for identity to rule out/in any offenders, as they are entitled to by LAW.

What law? We have been down this path before. If you are acting lawfully in a public place you do not have to produce id.

What evidence are you relying on to show that El Masri was a suspect for vandalism and break ins? Do you know something we don't?

If the cops have this vital evidence why didn't they arrest him?

johns_reds said:
who the f*ck sits on a park bench at 11pm besides the homeless and dodgy people?

you do have the right to sit on a bench late at night but you have to realize your going to look a bit dodgy, why couldn't they go back to someone's house? or continue the conversation somewhere else like a bar or at their car? why couldn't they just discuss it the next day? They have to realize when sitting on a bench outside shops that are closed and that had been vandalized and broken into recently is just asking for trouble.

mate this is a free country you should be able to sit anywhere you like (as long as its not private property) without being hassled by the police.

asking people that are just sitting on a bench for ID only puts the local community offside , if the police really want to fight crime effectivley community relations are a key.

perverse

Referee
herbert henry1908 said:
mate this is a free country you should be able to sit anywhere you like (as long as its not private property) without being hassled by the police.

asking people that are just sitting on a bench for ID only puts the local community offside , if the police really want to fight crime effectivley community relations are a key.
why should it have this effect?

gunnamatta bay

Referee
johns_reds said:

Plenty of law abiding citizens as is their right. Sydney is a big city and some would even suggest it never sleeps. Do you realise 11pm for some is not all that late and I'm yet to hear of any curfew.

I do however realise this point is hard to grasp for those who are tucked in by nine.

Dave Q

Coach
I'm backing El Masri and Houda on this one.

As far as I understand the circumstances of the matter, it was not open to the Police to assume that either of them were acting illegally.

They are entitled to an full and unreserved apology.

The Police should do the right thing, or be obliged to.

Latest posts