What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police harassed me: El Masri

gregstar

Referee
dave - if you were sitting on that bench drinking your cup of mysteriously warm something & i was the officer, you'd be in b block right now, being passionately embraced by bubba.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
gunnamatta bay said:
Quick question:

Where does Hazem El Masri sit on the 'dodgy looking' scale of 1 to 10?
Clearly he looks like a bloke who would rob a place and leave his name and address so when the cops see people on benches they can nab him after he shows his ID.

sharko

Juniors
If old Jack Boot John Howrad had his way he would have his ID card in by now and this would be a moot point..we will all have to carry the ID card at all times and the cops are entitled to ask to see it.
Is there any truth to the rumour that El Masri demanded a cavity search to go with his id search?

CharlieF

Juniors
gunnamatta bay said:
Incorrect. These men were approached by the police who proceeded to demand their id.

Incorrect. The police were not justified under the circumstances to demand their id which is clearly a breach of their rights. They should know better because they would have been taught this at the academy.

Incorrect. His rights were infringed because the demand was not lawful. He was defending those rights. We citizens are provided with equal rights.

What law? We have been down this path before. If you are acting lawfully in a public place you do not have to produce id.

What evidence are you relying on to show that El Masri was a suspect for vandalism and break ins? Do you know something we don't?

If the cops have this vital evidence why didn't they arrest him?

No, do you????

Tell me, how do you clear yourself of any suspicion if you insist on being suspicious?

You might ask why did the police have to question Hazem. Because if you read the laws correctly, you will understand that not only do they have a right to ask for it in those circumstances, they can then demand it if they so wish if the person refuses.

Hazem has to prove that not only was there no ongoing crimes committed in the area that he was in, but why he refuse to identify himself.

The police will easily demonstrate the recent crime spree in the area as well as Hazems refusal to identify themselves as required by law (Please, this is already established. Just because you think it shouldn't be the law doesn't count)

gunnamatta bay

Referee
You are so far off the mark as usual its getting ridiculous.

Firstly we citizens don't have to prove anything. We are innocent until proven guilty. Secondly the legislation you so enthusiastically refer to carries no obligation for any law abiding person to produce identification. Sure the police MAY ask for it and even then there are all sorts of safe guards, but the subject of their inquiry, often referred to as the person of interest, can decline. If the cops have any evidence they are guilty of some wrongdoing they can arrest the guy and put him before the next available court. This is our law if you don't like it move to Iran.

The fact the nine or so police decided to vacate the area is clear evidence they had nothing.

The Preacher

First Grade
CharlieF said:
No, do you????

Tell me, how do you clear yourself of any suspicion if you insist on being suspicious?

You might ask why did the police have to question Hazem. Because if you read the laws correctly, you will understand that not only do they have a right to ask for it in those circumstances, they can then demand it if they so wish if the person refuses.

Hazem has to prove that not only was there no ongoing crimes committed in the area that he was in, but why he refuse to identify himself.

The police will easily demonstrate the recent crime spree in the area as well as Hazems refusal to identify themselves as required by law (Please, this is already established. Just because you think it shouldn't be the law doesn't count)

And how many people that have been involved in this "crime spree" have been aprehendered sitting on a bench outside a cafe that has just closed.
If this were the case we'd have benches from "arsehole to breakfast" in every Sydney suburb.

CharlieF

Juniors
gunnamatta bay said:
You are so far off the mark as usual its getting ridiculous.

Firstly we citizens don't have to prove anything. We are innocent until proven guilty. Secondly the legislation you so enthusiastically refer to carries no obligation for any law abiding person to produce identification. Sure the police MAY ask for it and even then there are all sorts of safe guards, but the subject of their inquiry, often referred to as the person of interest, can decline. If the cops have any evidence they are guilty of some wrongdoing they can arrest the guy and put him before the next available court. This is our law if you don't like it move to Iran.

The fact the nine or so police decided to vacate the area is clear evidence they had nothing.

As I said, it doesn't matter what you think of the law. Its still the law. If you disregard this fact, I can't win the argument.

The police have to demonstrate that they have good reason to ask for somebody to identify themselves. The person does not need to have committed any crime for them to ask. The reason they were asking is quite clear as they have explained. They were lawfully obliged to do so. I don't know how many times I need to say it. Because of the place and time and circumstances, there are a plenty of reasons why the police would want to know the identity of somebody. Its not a matter of innocent until proven guilty, its the decency to be able to assist police with their job.

Anyway, I don't think that I have much more input on this topic, so I will only post more in this thread if there is anything new to come out of it.

Dave Q

Coach
Gunnamatta is 100% correct.

Its those cops involved who should be arrested for this one.

I bet ordinary folks in fugging North Korea dont get interrogtaed for sittng there having a cup of coffee.

In the meantime the real criminals are out there stealing from and hurting people.

Its a disgrace for mine and El Magic and Houd's are entitled to an apology.

CharlieF

Juniors
The Preacher said:
And how many people that have been involved in this "crime spree" have been aprehendered sitting on a bench outside a cafe that has just closed.
If this were the case we'd have benches from "arsehole to breakfast" in every Sydney suburb.

Whilst statistics are good, they can't be relied upon all the time. You don't need to be a suspect. If the police suspect you may have witnessed something or that information you provide will assist in their ongoing investigation, that is all they need. They don't have to go to the extent of asking to produce ID, but if they ask for you to identify yourself and you refuse, then the next logical step would be to ask to see physical ID or detain you until you are able to identify yourself. They certainly won't let you leave in this situation and will call backup to ensure this.

End result is that you identified yourself the hard way, but identified yourself none the less. If the cops thought they were in the wrong, they would have backed off well before calling for backup.

STEVE R

Juniors
I believe that El Masri beat the story up a bit. He made a big deal of it, when there really was no need to. He is trying to be all upstanding and a 'role model' for the people in his community (good on him), but seriously, does he need to go this far?

If the cops asked me for ID, I'd just show them. Problem solved. I don't feel the need to get on my moral high horse and claim racism.

Just on not having to show ID, does this apply to big dumbarse bouncers at nightclubs?
If they ask to see proof of age, do I have to show them? If so, why can't the cops have the same right to ask for ID ?

innsaneink

Referee
gunnamatta bay said:
You clearly made a big joke of his choice of words when it is quite clear what he meant. Have you nothing better?

Learn to read, I said it was an odd statement.

Better?

Yeh...
Hazem and his cronies taking this to the anti discrimination board on the basis of an assumption. Looking for another payout no doubt.

CharlieF

Juniors
Dave Q said:
Gunnamatta is 100% correct.

Its those cops involved who should be arrested for this one.

I bet ordinary folks in fugging North Korea dont get interrogtaed for sittng there having a cup of coffee.

In the meantime the real criminals are out there stealing from and hurting people.

Its a disgrace for mine and El Magic and Houd's are entitled to an apology.

Who are the real crims?? How do we identify them??

Hazem has turned this into a racial thing, he has his own agendas. the police just have a job to do.

innsaneink

Referee
Cant identify them now, thats against their rights, as the cops would have to ask them questions like, "whats your name"?

f**king Nazis!! :crazy:

Lets hope all the crims are honest and law abiding and do the right thing eh? Im sure they'll realise the inconvenience the rest of us go thru while the cops are harassing us on park bencehes whilst looking for them

perverse said:
why should it have this effect?

because in this instence there was no valid reasoning behind the questioning for ID. Offcourse if they are genuine suspects that is fine.

but just because there have been some robberies in the area doesnt make 3 guys with no other connection than sitting in the same street as some of the robberies suspects.

Dave Q

Coach
People are entitled to be considered as innocent until they are found to be guilty.

It is this notion that underpins our legal system and something I'm not preapred to let slide into the abyss.

The cops are public servants and they make mistakes.

They should have to wear the consequences of their conduct like everybody else has to.

I'm sure the cops have plenty of investigative work to follow up on -crime and criminals they actually know about- instead of troubling good law-abiding folk like El Magic and Houd's.

Anyone who thinks cops should be untouchable should know a few and hear what goes on, visit their local courts and read Royal Commision Reports.

innsaneink

Referee
herbert henry1908 said:
because in this instence there was no valid reasoning behind the questioning for ID. Offcourse if they are genuine suspects that is fine.

but just because there have been some robberies in the area doesnt make 3 guys with no other connection than sitting in the same street as some of the robberies.

Yeh maybe the cops should be looking on the other side of town. Or QLD.

Theyre damned if they do and damned if they dont.

Latest posts