What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police harassed me: El Masri

STEVE R

Juniors
Dave Q said:
So El Magic cant go out and have a coffee with his mate? May as well be in gaol.

I am sure that El Magic and Houds would support anybody in their situation not just those of middle eastern appearance.

I reckon the the cops should stick to what they are paid to do and so do the cops I know.

If they wont give him and Houds an apology, then they are entitled to ask a court to determine whether they are owed one.

They are not a law unto themselves, they are entirely accountable to the citizens they are supposed to be serving.

You'd be hard pressed finding a better model citizen than El Magic.

Dave, Dave, DAVE!

El Masri is more than entitled to go for a coffee. Hell, he can go get pissed at the pub like his other Bulldog mates if he wants to mate. I don't have a problem with that at all.

The problem lies with "El Magic" being a "model citizen". He's taking it a little far (by claiming racism) in this instance I believe. Good on him for being a good bloke, and staying out of trouble. I'm the same! I just don't feel the need to go around and make a big deal of it so everyone knows. ;-)

I'm not up on the laws in regards to what Police can and can't do, but I really don't even think it's relevant in this case. Even if the Cops were wrong in what they did, why make it into a bigger issue than it is? It's not necessary.

Q Dave

I acknowledge your point Steve, but I respectfully, disagree.

Did you catch the freudian slip in my poll question?

the word "until"

Have a laugh buddy!

El Magic wants me off his case now, Id better sign up for the wallopers!!

STEVE R

Juniors
Haha
All good man. I can see both sides of the arguement.

People just get too uptight in terms of trying to protect themselves these days I reckon! Sometimes their actions place them in a worse position in terms of how they come out looking.

Anyway, I'm over it.

and Hazem, pull ya head in ya goodie goodie high horse riding panzy boy! Get on the turps with Willie and Sonny Bill champion!!! :crazy:

Q Dave

STEVE R said:
Haha
All good man. I can see both sides of the arguement.

People just get too uptight in terms of trying to protect themselves these days I reckon! Sometimes their actions place them in a worse position in terms of how they come out looking.

Anyway, I'm over it.

and Hazem, pull ya head in ya goodie goodie high horse riding panzy boy! Get on the turps with Willie and Sonny Bill champion!!! :crazy:

:lol:

nqboy

First Grade
Bigfella said:
The police were entitled to ask for ID.

Hasim and Houda were entitled to decline.

If the police could assert reasonable cause they could have demanded ID, or arrested the "suspects'.

Instead they attempted to intimidate them by repeatedly calling for backup until 9 officers were present.

No charges were laid, which suggests that at some stage the cops realised they had stuffed up.

I agree though that no one was really injured and it's not a huge deal. Let's face it, truly corrupt police would have arrested them or beat the crap out of them, or done both then planted a kilo of coke on them.

But the fact is, the cops erred in piling officers out there when the citizens asserted their legal right. there was an element of harassment in that, as the citizens had done nothing wrong.

They also embarrassed themselves by failing to recognize a prominent criminal lawyer and an international sportsman who performs charity work for police causes.

But I agree - no one got killed and a simple apology from the cops would dispose of the issue.

But El Masri and houda did nothing wrong.
You can stick your apology where the sun don't shine sunshine. Maybe it's because the facts (such as have been revealed atm) are blurred by everyone's interpretation, speculation and straight out BS, but I just don't see that the police have done anything wrong.

Game_Breaker

Coach
nqboy said:
You can stick your apology where the sun don't shine sunshine. Maybe it's because the facts (such as have been revealed atm) are blurred by everyone's interpretation, speculation and straight out BS, but I just don't see that the police have done anything wrong.

They demanded ID when they had no right to (not ask for ID, demand ID)

and then tried to intimidate them by calling for unneeded back up.

They were wrong. Simple

nqboy

First Grade
Game_Breaker said:
They demanded ID
You gotta link for that? Apart from the version of the two blokes complaining?

Game_Breaker said:
How do you know the cops' reasoning for requesting backup? And if you don't, how can you assume that it was to intimidate them or that it was unneeded, given the cops knowledge of the circumstances at the time?

Game_Breaker said:
They were wrong. Simple
Nup. You'll have to do better than that.

Game_Breaker

Coach
In other words, you dont know either

So how do you know the police have dont nothing wrong, if you dont know anything?

My posts are based on both the El Masri version and the the acting police commissioners interview to the media

innsaneink

Referee
Game_Breaker said:
In other words, you dont know either

So how do you know the police have dont nothing wrong, if you dont know anything?

My posts are based on both the El Masri version and the the acting police commissioners interview to the media
I guess you missed this then....

Police say two officers were investigating a robbery at Regents Park Railway station when they stopped to speak to three men who were sitting on a nearby council bench.
The statement says the additional officers were called because the group was not co-operating. Police say at this stage there is no suggestion that officers acted inappropriately.
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200704/s1897127.htm
Game_Breaker said:
They were wrong. Simple
Nup. You'll have to do better than that.

nqboy

First Grade
Hang on. You're bagging the police when you don't know what happened. Is that right?

I'm a little bit over all these victims running to the media everytime they think they've been wronged. I'll wait for the investigation and if that shows me that the wallopers were wrong, I'd expect them to apologise too. I just don't want them flayed alive without the benefit of a proper invesigation just because some precious footballer and his idiot lawyer/manager/mate want to play the race card in the media.

Game_Breaker

Coach
innsaneink said:
I guess you missed this then....

What does that show?

They wernt co-operating with the demand to show ID

so?

nqboy said:
Hang on. You're bagging the police when you don't know what happened. Is that right?

El Masri claimed they demanded ID and the police never refuted that

nqboy said:
I'll wait for the investigation

But thats not what you did. You claimed the police did nothing wrong

Even though you admit you knew nothing

innsaneink

Referee
Game_Breaker said:
What does that show?

They wernt co-operating with the demand to show ID

so?
It shows why back up was called.
Not an attempt at intimidating them, as you claimed.

Game_Breaker said:

voltron

Juniors
if im asking you for something
and you dont want to give it to me
and then i call 9 of my friends over
these arent people you know who can reason with you
just strangers
what else am i trying to do with these extra people except intimidate you?!?

Game_Breaker

Coach
innsaneink said:
One way.,...so what?

Just read voltron's post, he explains it.

Anyway, the point is you posted that part of the article thinking it disproved their claim of intimidation. You failed to disprove anything, because most people will say calling 4 other police cars was meant to intimidate them

innsaneink

Referee
I'm just countering your opinion with the facts as we have them, but heres a maybe from me.... cant let you have em all...Maybe they felt intimidated themselves, two cops faced with three unco-operative grown men.
You know .....how 3 can instantly turn into 33 with the press of a 'send' button.

Game_Breaker

Coach
innsaneink said:
I'm just countering your opinion with the facts as we have them, but heres a maybe from me.... cant let you have em all...Maybe they felt intimidated themselves, two cops faced with three unco-operative grown men.
You know .....how 3 can instantly turn into 33 with the press of a 'send' button.

Thats a pretty big maybe

But, remember this?

additional officers were called because the group was not co-operating

They wernt called because they were intimidated, its because they were not co-opearating.

So what better way to force them to co-operate then to call 4 other police cars and intimidate them

innsaneink

Referee
Hypothetical and opinion...pretty wishy washy mate.
As convincing as their reasoning for it being racial.
because what other explanation is there

How about something concrete for a change.