What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police harassed me: El Masri

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Don't bring drugs into it moron, they were *number of persons disputed* blokes sitting there at *location disputed*. Nothing has been said about it and bringing that suggestion in will only make things worse.

The cops can tell us everything on their side EXCEPT the volume of officers allocated to the incident... what does that tell you?

CharlieF said:
What grounds do they need then?

They could have been drug dealers because of the time/location. All the cops would have needed was for them to see them exchange something. It was certainly not random.

yes if they suspected them of drug dealing , but clearly in this case that is not relevant.

just because someone is sitting on a bench in an area where there has been some break ins does not make them suspects.

unless offcourse they fit the descriptions of people suspected in being involved , which clearly they do not as the police would have said so.

BTW charlie , do you still believe it is an offence not producing ID?

CharlieF

Juniors
Dodger said:
Don't bring drugs into it moron, they were *number of persons disputed* blokes sitting there at *location disputed*. Nothing has been said about it and bringing that suggestion in will only make things worse.

The cops can tell us everything on their side EXCEPT the volume of officers allocated to the incident... what does that tell you?

Don't call me a moron. It was hypophetical. Some people here just cannot understand that certain people at certain times in certain location can arouse suspicion.

The law states that they are allowed to ask for ID ( the circumstances for doing so were met or can be met quite easily because of the conditions).

The law also states it is an offence to not produce ID after it has been asked for by police after satisfying the circumstances for the request.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
CharlieF said:
Gunnamatta, check the laws out before going on about rights.

Cops have the right to ask for ID. You have the right to refuse. The only reason you would refuse is:

A. You are guilty.
B. You are deluded into think it will serve your cause.
C. You believe that your d*ck is bigger than his.

If you have been asked to identify yourself but refuse, then they have reason to detain you until your identity can be determined.

This is the fairest system there is to protect all citizens, not just some. Most other countries are worst.

Rubbish. You seem confused with the traffic laws.

Police cannot detain anyone going about their lawful business for no better reason then ascertaining their identification.

You sound like you would be happier living in Iran.

Game_Breaker

Coach
CharlieF said:
Don't call me a moron. It was hypophetical. Some people here just cannot understand that certain people at certain times in certain location can arouse suspicion.

The law states that they are allowed to ask for ID ( the circumstances for doing so were met or can be met quite easily because of the conditions).

The law also states it is an offence to not produce ID after it has been asked for by police after satisfying the circumstances for the request.

Everyone's is allowed ask, and everyone is allowed to refuse

The key point in this whole situation, is whether they have reasonable grounds. Im not sure if we'll know the full facts since both side have conflicting stories

CharlieF

Juniors
scottyj said:
hasnt happened ever bud.

let them try.

Suppose 25 youths decided to kick the crap out of you whilst you were alone. Do you think they will try then? Do you think the cops should help you?

Timmah

Staff member
CharlieF said:

Clearly the circumstances weren't initially explained to Mr El Masri, or I'm sure he would've shown the ID immediately. Sounds to me like they've just approached him and said "show us your ID" :crazy:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Mr Saab said:
I dont see the harm in showing your ID.
If you are innocent then you have nothing to hide.
Please tell me how this helps the police.

Are you suggesting the robbers left there names and addresses.

Seriously saab, how does providing your name and address help with the investigation?

CharlieF

Juniors
Game_Breaker said:
Everyone's is allowed ask, and everyone is allowed to refuse

The key point in this whole situation, is whether they have reasonable grounds. Im not sure if we'll know the full facts since both side have conflicting stories

Exactly. The police just need to have reasonable grounds. Not the hardest requirement to fulfill.

Mr Saab

Referee
But, what harm is there in showing your ID.
I have been asked for ID before... "Here you are officer"....(i know i have zero to hide..i am of ethnic descent too)

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Since we have a number of posters here convinced it's offence not to provide police with identification whenever requested by police I have a request as well.

Bearing in mind this occurred in NSW.

Please provide the NSW act of parliament and section that makes it an offence not to provide your identification when requested by police.

CharlieF said:

but earlier you claimed it was an offence not to produce ID when asked by police ( you put no clauses on it)

and what if the police satisfy the requirments of asking someone for ID but then person(s) either dont have ID on them or dont have a drivers licence?

Timmah

Staff member
Mr Saab said:
I have been asked for ID before... "Here you are officer"....(i know i have zero to hide..i am of ethnic descent too)

Invasion of privacy. Simple as that. The circumstances weren't enough.

CharlieF

Juniors
Dodger said:
Clearly the circumstances weren't initially explained to Mr El Masri, or I'm sure he would've shown the ID immediately. Sounds to me like they've just approached him and said "show us your ID" :crazy:

I doubt that.

In the end it will all come out in the wash anyway.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Mr Saab said:

The way people act in this situation is different. Most will produce a form of ID, some wont.
However, just because you will react different to others, doesnt mean the way you react is the right way.

As long as a person reacts in a reasonable manner, and doesnt overstep their own rights, then there should be no problem to the way they react.

If people are willing to waive their rights, then thats their option, but dont expect everyone else to because you did

Timmah

Staff member
CharlieF said:
I doubt that.

In the end it will all come out in the wash anyway.

True. Neither side seems to be telling a convincing (or matching) story as yet.

Mr Saab

Referee
Game_Breaker said:
The way people act in this situation is different. Most will produce a form of ID, some wont.
However, just because you will react different to others, doesnt mean the way you react is the right way.

As long as a person reacts in a reasonable manner, and doesnt overstep their own rights, then there should be no problem to the way they react.

If people are willing to waive their rights, then thats their option, but dont expect everyone else to because you did

What rights are you waiving by showing your ID?
Officer looks at the license...name is John Citizen...lives at 1 Smith St Smithfield, license # is 12345678.
El Masri can continue with his coffee with Mr Houda.
Some people in this world are a little toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo precious.

Latest posts