What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police harassed me: El Masri

CharlieF

Juniors
perverse said:
he didn't break the law - he's just a twat for not doing it and then screaming racial prejudice.

I always thought that an "Offence" is the same as breaking the law.

It is an offence to not show your ID when requested by police.

Cammo

Bench
CharlieF said:
He broke the law by refusing to show ID. What part of that don't you get. It does not matter what Hazem felt, or if he felt humiliated. It is not the fault of police if some people are more precious than others.

He did not break the law. You are the one who does not understand

perverse

Referee
Dodger said:
The final publicity jibe made no sense and made the rest of your post reek of bias.

Either way - unless a warrant is issued - they have no right to detain you. The bottom line is - he was sticking up for his rights because he believed he was being unfairly targeted. Acting that way because he's guilty? Arousing suspiscion? Please.
the rest of my post screams of bias? i'm a huge fan of el masri's and have backed him up on several threads recently including the one regarding him surpassing johns at the greatest all-time pointscorer. sorry mate, no bias.

i didn't say he acted that way because he was guilty, i said it can arouse suspicion, don't put words in my mouth.

the final publicity jibe makes perfect sense... just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

sorry dodger you're going to have to do much better than that.

CharlieF said:
You have answered your own question.

Once he refused, there was ground for detainment.

actually no.

you missed my point , i was saying that the police have no right to detain people on the grounds of 'refusing to show ID'

if a policeman walked up to you and asked you for your ID and you refused , you have every right to keep on walking unless they provide a reason to detain you such as 'you fit the description of a suspect' they cant say to you 'we are detaining you for refusing to show ID' . Which is exactly what you claimed they could do .

CharlieF said:
He broke the law by refusing to show ID. What part of that don't you get. It does not matter what Hazem felt, or if he felt humiliated. It is not the fault of police if some people are more precious than others.

absolute rubbish!

it is not against the law to not show ID! it is not even a requirment of the law to carry ID. FFS we are not living in berlin in 1939 here.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
perverse said:
i can't believe this thread.. honestly.. shocking.

as i've said - i'm a white male australian and have been asked to provide ID minding my own business plenty of times. are you people stupid? do you think everyone that commits a crime stamps *CRIMINAL* on their head as to make it nice and easy for the cops to identify them? lol.. hardly.. they either hide, or blend in. enter the policemans job - to find the criminals. anyone who committed a crime of just about any nature could appear to be going about their lawful business moments after the crime is committed. strike 1 hazem.

this has nothing to do with living in a police state or a violation of rights. if any reasonable suspicion (be it an eyewitness report of a crime or whatever) of being involved in a crime in any way - be it a witness, a perpatrator or accomplice, the police have full right to ask for your ID. if you refuse then you can be detained until your identity is determined and your name is cleared. strike 2.

there is sticking up for your rights for a purpose - and there is abusing your rights for the sake of being politically correct. hazem isn't even politically correct on this issue from what is in that article, and we don't even have both sides of the story yet. strike 3, you're out.

wow hazem, you sure stuck it to the man didn't you? don't be such a whinger, show them your ID.. and have another sip of coffee.. simple as that. as i said, it's happened plenty of times to me.. and denying to show your ID to an officer only arouses suspicion. if he didn't have his ID on him, and he was suspected to be involved in a crime, then the police would be within their rights to detain him until his identity is determined.

yes, we all have rights... but why exercise them just for the sake of it? especially in a situation where you don't even know with any degree of certainty if you truly do have the right to? sorry.. but even if the cops had no probable cause or any reasonable suspicion to ask for the ID.. it is also within your rights to not cause a fuss and give them the ID. i'm sorry but your rights are there for a reason, and obstructing the law for your own need to feel self righteous isn't one of them.

what better way to get your name back in the papers though? publicity publicity publicity.
Fuggg off to Germany 1942, so those who believe in freedom can wipe your arse off this earth ....nazi wannabe.

perverse

Referee
Mr Angry said:
Fuggg off to Germany 1942, so those who believe in freedom can wipe your arse off this earth ....nazi wannabe.
please.. elaborate on your poorly eloquated reference to me being a nazi..

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
CharlieF said:
Gunnamatta, check the laws out before going on about rights.

Cops have the right to ask for ID. You have the right to refuse. The only reason you would refuse is:

A. You are guilty.
B. You are deluded into think it will serve your cause.
C. You believe that your d*ck is bigger than his.

If you have been asked to identify yourself but refuse, then they have reason to detain you until your identity can be determined.

This is the fairest system there is to protect all citizens, not just some. Most other countries are worst.
Another wannbe nazi, piss off to Iran.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
innsaneink said:
MMM just reported the cops were in the process of investigating a local robbery.
So I take the robbers were kind enough to leave thier names and addresses so the fuzz could go around asking for for ID to find them.

0neye

come on show me your ID

http://www.nospam36.com/images/november2005/291105police1.jpg

CharlieF said:
I always thought that an "Offence" is the same as breaking the law.

It is an offence to not show your ID when requested by police.

where do you get this stuff from? im sorry but you are talking rubbish.

What if they ask for identification?
If police ask you for identification, generally you don't have to give them your details.
Not using your real name however can cause problems. It won't work against you to give police your real name. In fact, sometimes it may be a real advantage - eg, when trying to get bail.

You must give your real name to police if you are:
driving a car;
under 18 and drinking alcohol in a public place;
suspected of being involved in or witnessing a serious crime;
on public transport;
involved in a car accident.

http://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/asp/index.asp?pgid=507

Stranger

Coach
Dodger said:
Can we borrow your leftovers from earlier in the week?

What are you going to do next, roll around on the ground kicking and screaming when asked to show ur train ticket to the police?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
And to think a whole generation fought against this................

I see why ex-servicemen are disgusted by the generations they fought to protect.

Mr Saab

Referee
I dont see the harm in showing your ID.
If you are innocent then you have nothing to hide.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Stranger said:
What are you going to do next, roll around on the ground kicking and screaming when asked to show ur train ticket to the police?

Why would I? Grasping at straws now ;-)

Latest posts