What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police harassed me: El Masri

Game_Breaker

Coach
CharlieF said:
A cafe is a crime free zone?

I dont get what you're saying

Any place has the potential to be a crimze zone, that doesnt mean you must produce ID to Police every where you go

Game_Breaker

Coach
Mr Saab said:
What rights are you waiving by showing your ID?
Officer looks at the license...name is John Citizen...lives at 1 Smith St Smithfield, license # is 12345678.
El Masri can continue with his coffee with Mr Houda.
Some people in this world are a little toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo precious.

The right not to show it

Mr Saab

Referee
Game_Breaker said:
The right not to show it

As i said, waaaaaaay tooooooooooo precious.
If they came to search his house minus a warrant...sure, cant do that.
But to take 2 minutes to show his license...please.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I'll repeat the question again.

Please provide the NSW act of parliament and section which makes it an offence not to provide police with your identification.

jimmyo

Juniors
I'm a whitey, and in my experience NSW police are aggressive and obnoxious. God knows how they treat Lebanese people - let alone those that aren't 1st grade NRL players.

Good on Hazem for taking a stand here - its not just about his situation, its about the way NSW police waste time harrassing people on the street. Our taxes pay for that badge and gun, and we don't appreciate being intimidated and harrassed for not reason.

Aside for the racial issues, how about going after real crims instead of creating animosity with the community? How are crimes going to be solved if no one wants to help the police because they have had a negative experience with them in the past?

CharlieF

Juniors
herbert henry1908 said:
but earlier you claimed it was an offence not to produce ID when asked by police ( you put no clauses on it)

and what if the police satisfy the requirments of asking someone for ID but then person(s) either dont have ID on them or dont have a drivers licence?

The only reason I didn,t put any clauses on it was that I just assumed people already knew that. I assumed incorrectly.

I assumed people already knew that If police had asked for ID, then the requirement to ask for it had been met, therefore refusal is an offence. In other words I was talking about refusing to show it, and assuming people already understood that the requirement to produce it had been met.

You cant win.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Mr Saab said:
Sets a fine example to the youth of today doesnt it.
Explain to me how police randomly interrogating somebody and demanding them show ID is setting a good example... especially when the person in question has been such a role model for the game?

Game_Breaker

Coach
Mr Saab said:
As i said, waaaaaaay tooooooooooo precious.
If they came to search his house minus a warrant...sure, cant do that.
But to take 2 minutes to show his license...please.

As I said, most people wouldve shown their ID. But just because you would react differently, doesnt make El Masri's reaction wrong.

If he reacted well within his rights, then whats the big deal?

The thing that I'm most concerned about is the fact so much backup was called because of two guys who did nothing wrong. No reason was given, that to me is acting too precious

gunnamatta bay

Referee
CharlieF said:
The only reason I didn,t put any clauses on it was that I just assumed people already knew that. I assumed incorrectly.

I assumed people already knew that If police had asked for ID, then the requirement to ask for it had been met, therefore refusal is an offence. In other words I was talking about refusing to show it, and assuming people already understood that the requirement to produce it had been met.

You cant win.

Please provide the nsw act of parliament and section which makes it an offence not to provide police with your identification.

Mr Saab

Referee
Dodger said:
Explain to me how police randomly interrogating somebody and demanding them show ID is setting a good example... especially when the person in question has been such a role model for the game?

"interrogating" now huh?
Next you will have the cops strip searching him and asking where he got that ring on his finger that has "2004" inscribed on it.
As Ink said earlier....not allllllllllllllllllllllllllll cops are league fans like you or me and could indentify 99% of the players.

Mr Saab

Referee
Game_Breaker said:
As I said, most people wouldve shown their ID. But just because you would react differently, doesnt make El Masri's reaction wrong.

No, doesnt make it "wrong" but it would have saved some ink in the papers.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Maroubra Eel said:
Common sense doesn't require an act of parliament.

Common sense is what the law is all about. Protecting a citizens civil rights makes common sense.

Move to Iran if you don't like it.

jimmyo

Juniors
Mr Saab said:

At least its being used to discuss something related to a real issue and not Willie Mason's tats or SBW's girlfriend.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Mr Saab said:

So now its all the publicity that it attracted that is the most concern

If this publicity stops more Police in the future from harrasing people who have done nothing wrong, minding their own business then its well worth it.

CharlieF

Juniors
gunnamatta bay said:
Please provide the nsw act of parliament and section which makes it an offence not to provide police with your identification.

A police officer may request a person who is requested under this Part to disclose his or her identity to provide proof of his or her identity.

link:

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/viewtop/inforce/act+103+2002+FIRST+0+N/?autoquery=(FragmentSGML%3D((%22police%20powers%22)))%20AND%20((RecordType%3D%22ACTFRAG%22%20and%20Repealed%3D%22N%22)%20OR%20(RecordType%3D%22SRFRAG%22%20and%20Repealed%3D%22N%22))&dq=Document%20Types%3D%22Acts,%20Regs%22,%20Exact%20Phrase%3D%22police%20powers%22,%20Search%20In%3D%22Text%22&fullquery=(((%22police%20powers%22)))
[/INDENT]

CharlieF

Juniors
gunnamatta bay said:
Common sense is what the law is all about. Protecting a citizens civil rights makes common sense.

Move to Iran if you don't like it.

cf Crimes Act 1900, s 563

Game_Breaker

Coach
CharlieF said:

Thats taken out of context

You were meant to provide this, since it relates to this part

11 [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Identity may be required to be disclosed[/FONT]
(cf <A href="http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/summarize/inforce/s/1/?xref=RecordType%3DACTTOC%20AND%20Year%3D1900%20AND%20Actno%3D40&nohits=y" target=main>Crimes Act 1900, s 563)
A police officer may request a person whose identity is unknown to the officer to disclose his or her identity if the officer suspects on reasonable grounds that the person may be able to assist in the investigation of an alleged indictable offence because the person was at or near the place where the alleged indictable offence occurred, whether before, when, or soon after it occurred.​