What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PRICE TO BE SACKED ,McGregor IN

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Sort of agree...although if it was the same situation with McGregor then replacing Price we would still be in this mess and still looking for a suitable coach now.....that's how much confidence I have in McGregor.....sorry another job for the boys.......but I'm happy to be proved wrong.....at least Marys on a hiding to nothing.

I'm sure Mary will only be an interim solution until the new coach is found. Mary couldn't coach himself out of a wet paper bag

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Yep and if Bennett is appointed as head coach, McGregor won't even make assistant.

Got a gut feeling it's going to be Sheens, and Benji already knew. Also wish McGregor all the best for rest of this season - if he succeeds then I will be a happier person more often - at least happier than the last 7 weeks.

I think it is a good decision by our board.

It is the first step in the right direction.

Now we can finally commence re-building.

It is the best action possible in the current environment.. 1. Salvages interest in the season, 2. Opportunity to see if Paul Macgregor has the right stuff to step up, 3. Officially puts the NRL on notice that the Dragons are in the market for a top new coach.

Vindicates and re-energises recent good signings - for both players, something to play for, and prospective coaching applicants, who WILL see lots of talent just waiting to be moulded into a great team.

I don't accept (all the) blame to Macgregor for ineffective attack - a good footy team is based on defence, and in that department we are really soft; and for that nexus of Steve Price / Craig Young is culpable.

So long as Dragons' board stays faithful and committed to the recruitment of the man that is best for the job and does not cut corners or settle for less than the best, and that includes jobs for the boys.

I'm very happy

Redvpassion

Juniors
One down, Doust to go.

I'm mixed about this. Happy that a change was made and that it's only a interim position, but not convinced that the problem is solved. If Mary is hard and demands respect and not scared to make changes and drop players, then respect will be shown by players and supporters.

That what we are lacking, respect, discipline and a non-friend style coach.

All in all, good luck.

His team for next game will tell if he is one of them or the one for them.

If he trots the same sorry lot out who didn't turn up for 3 weeks and they perform the same we are no better off.
If he trots out the same sorry lot and they aim up then the problem may just have been addressed.

Doust should be ashamed of himself and be honest with his lack of KPI achievement.
No one is buying his remorse or "pro-active" decision to spear mini bus.
He did it to protect his position and he will be judged accordingly.
He should shut up and provide business leadership in a manner that befits us.

Sweep the joint clean, start with this hoax and work our way downward till we rid the joint of these underachieving, smoko attending 70's eccentrics.

gypsy

Bench
Really poor decision. Hunt, De belin, Thompson, Stockwell and co to blame for not aiming up.

bottle

Coach
A merciful decision for all involved, including Price.
I don't know who it should be moving forward but I do know it at least offers hope, something that was dwindling away to zero.
Good luck in life Steve. You tried, you just didn't have what it took. Hope you find your way ok.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I think it is a good decision by our board.

It is the first step in the right direction.

Now we can finally commence re-building.

It is the best action possible in the current environment.. 1. Salvages interest in the season, 2. Opportunity to see if Paul Macgregor has the right stuff to step up, 3. Officially puts the NRL on notice that the Dragons are in the market for a top new coach.

Vindicates and re-energises recent good signings - for both players, something to play for, and prospective coaching applicants, who WILL see lots of talent just waiting to be moulded into a great team.

I don't accept (all the) blame to Macgregor for ineffective attack - a good footy team is based on defence, and in that department we are really soft; and for that nexus of Steve Price / Craig Young is culpable.

So long as Dragons' board stays faithful and committed to the recruitment of the man that is best for the job and does not cut corners or settle for less than the best, and that includes jobs for the boys.

I'm very happy

Great post!

They perhaps gave Price (so I'm understating) too long but they acted with honour and dignity.
Now que sera sera.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Got a gut feeling it's going to be Sheens, and Benji already knew. Also wish McGregor all the best for rest of this season - if he succeeds then I will be a happier person more often - at least happier than the last 7 weeks.

Got my doubts if it will be Sheens...wouldn't he be doing it now instead of 2015

pinkmoon

Juniors
A merciful decision for all involved, including Price.
I don't know who it should be moving forward but I do know it at least offers hope, something that was dwindling away to zero.
Good luck in life Steve. You tried, you just didn't have what it took. Hope you find your way ok.

well said; he certainly tried, and you could see the passion he had for the job, but it just didn't work out. He was part of our 2010 triumph and that is something no one can take away from him.

Happy to see Price go.

I just hope that McGregor does coach well enough for us until the end of the year. Not expecting a great deal, but should hopefully hover closer towards the 8 than the rear end like where we're at now.

BTW, who's our Assistant Coach now? Young and Hornby moves up to this position?

TruSaint

Referee
His team for next game will tell if he is one of them or the one for them.

Doust should be ashamed of himself and be honest with his lack of KPI achievement.
No one is buying his remorse or "pro-active" decision to spear mini bus.
He did it to protect his position and he will be judged accordingly.
He should shut up and provide business leadership in a manner that befits us.

Sweep the joint clean, start with this hoax and work our way downward till we rid the joint of these underachieving, smoko attending 70's eccentrics.

This...

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons coach: McGregor in charge after Price axed

By ADAM PENGILLY

May 26, 2014, 9:26 p.m.

Dragons boss Peter Doust insists a Wayne Bennett return to St George Illawarra hasn’t even registered on his radar, while also leaving the door ajar for caretaker Paul McGregor to be anointed Steve Price’s permanent successor.
Only hours after confirming Price’s rocky 2-year reign as Dragons head coach had come to an end, Doust hosed down speculation the joint venture would try to lure the 2010 premiership-winning coach back to Wollongong.
Bennett’s future is clouded at Newcastle after Nathan Tinkler last week stated he would relinquish his ownership of the Knights.
The four-year deal Bennett signed to leave the Dragons was with Tinkler’s Hunter Sports Group, effectively making him a free agent as soon as the mining magnate hands back control of the Knights.
But Doust was quick to quash speculation of Bennett’s return to the Red V, who have also been linked with NSW coach Laurie Daley, Gold Coast assistant Neil Henry and another former coach in Nathan Brown.
‘‘Who knows what Wayne’s up to with that hullabaloo up in Newcastle? It hasn’t even come within my sphere,’’ Doust told the Mercury.
Pressed on whether the Dragons would seek an outside influence for their next coach, he added: ‘‘We have to explore all options. These are difficult decisions and we’ll explore all options.’’
Price became the first Dragons coach since David Waite in 2000 to be sacked mid-season.
The Mercury can reveal Dragons hierarchy felt compelled to show Price the exit after inserting a clause into his contract extension, announced on Anzac Day last year, which needed a decision by the end of this week.
There was an option in the club’s favour for 2015, but it needed to be triggered before May 31.
Doust addressed the squad on Monday morning to tell them of Price’s axing.
‘‘You don’t get to predict the future, but we felt on balance that the only way we could look forward to some different outcomes was to make the change now,’’ Doust said.
‘‘He’s a great guy and a stand-up guy and a man of great integrity. He’s reflecting on the time he’s spent at the club and contributions he’s made to the club at various levels.
‘‘I’d ask people to remember Steve Price has given a lot to the club over more than 13 years and we’ve got to remember that he was also given the job on the recommendation of Wayne Bennett.’’
Price had been much maligned by Dragons fans despite being left with the remnants of Bennett’s ageing roster in 2012.
He presided over St George Illawarra’s worst ever season last year, which meant they failed to make the finals for the first time in consecutive years in the joint venture’s history.
But he also embarked on a roster overhaul, luring the likes of Gareth Widdop, Josh Dugan, Dylan Farrell and Joel Thompson to the club, while adding Benji Marshall earlier this month.
And Doust, while claiming the Dragons’s recruitment for next year wouldn’t be affected by Price’s exit, said St George Illawarra’s struggles must be shared across the club.
‘‘As we resolved last year in the serious and detailed review into the football club...we didn’t find it appropriate to hold Pricey personally responsible for the outcome in 2013,’’ Doust said.
‘‘At the end of the day, though, these head coaches are well paid and they’ve got significant resources in support of their objectives. Our view is to evaluate their performance and that’s what we’re accountable for.’’
Known as ‘‘Mary’’, McGregor - who flew back from NSW’s Origin camp on Sunday night - will address the playing group for the first time as head coach on Tuesday.
He will then fulfil his NSW State of Origin commitments in Queensland

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...h-mcgregor-in-charge-after-price-axed/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
New Dragons coach as season teeters

By Paul Haigh

May 27, 2014, 6 a.m.

ST GEORGE Illawarra’s finals campaign is teetering as the NRL competition nears the halfway mark of the season.
With just one win from their past seven matches they have slipped to 13th after 10 rounds.
And the Dragons have a new coach for the rest of the year, Paul McGregor.
McGregor left the NSW State of Origin camp yesterday to start work as Dragons boss.
Coach Steve Price was sacked yesterday, with more than half of the season still to run on his contract. He has been in charge for the past two-and-a-half years.
But Dragons players have to take their share of the responsibility too.
‘‘We will embark on a serious program for a new coach for 2015 and beyond,’’ Dragons chief executive Peter Doust said.
Fresh from the bye last weekend, St George tackle Souths on Monday at 7pm at ANZ Stadium.
McGregor left the NSW State of Origin camp yesterday to start as the Dragons’ on-field boss.
He was part of coach Laurie Daley’s coaching staff preparing the Blues for the opening match with Queensland tomorrow night (Wednesday) in Brisbane.
Dragons players cannot hide from their part in the situation they find themselves in.
They will hope NSW State of Origin players Trent Merrin and Brett Morris will get through tomorrow night’s game in Brisbane, and be fully fit for the clash with Souths.
At this time of the season both Morris and Merrin are needed at their best.
Merrin, by his own high standards he sets himself, would be the first to admit that he’s been a little quiet in recent games.
The Dragons need Merrin pounding the line with gusto and producing the sledgehammer-type tackles he can produce, each and every week.
Prop Tyson Frizell, who has made the transition from the back row to the front row this season, is also a key man in defence and attack.
He has good speed and footwork and can offload the footy well to his supports.
Benji Marshall, who returned to the NRL in the recent 36-0 loss to Parramatta, will be all the better for the run and now also has two weeks of solid training under his belt.
Do you agree with the Steve Price sacking?
ORIGIN I STARS
Brett Morris and Trent Merrin will saddle up for NSW Blues against Queensland Maroons 8pm, tomorrow night, Wednesday, at Suncorp Stadium.
HOLDEN CUP
The Dragons had the bye on the weekend and play Souths at 4.45pm on Monday at ANZ Stadium. They are fourth on 14 points.
CHARLY SIGNS
Dragons centre Charly Runciman has signed for another two years. ‘‘It is great to be staying at the Dragons,” Runciman said. “I have been here for several years now and am very thankful to have had the opportunities to progress through the lower ranks at the club.’’
NIGHTINGALE BACK
Dragons winger Jason Nightingale is expected back for the Souths match. He has been missed on the right flank in recent weeks because of a knee injury.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/2307225/new-dragons-coach-as-season-teeters/?cs=1633