What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pull the finger out Burt

Bazal

Post Whore
Burt had a shocker IMO....I love the bloke but he was below his usual high standard

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I thought Burt did some good things tonight, nice pass for Grothe's try and he put in some nice kicks. Was lucky with one knock on though.

Dirty Mutombo

Juniors
i cant believe some people are talking up his game from last night.

off the top of my head..

* dropped the ball by going at it half hearted with one hand from Ben Smiths kick, try line wide open
* dropped a bomb cold under no pressure
* kicked 1 from 4 includeing a miss 20 metres in from touch on his fav side
* caught 1 kick on the full all night. Shocking positional play on Campese's 40/20. his a right footed kicker known for 40/20s standing on the left side of the field. So where is Burt? Deep on our left! dumb ass
* Threw the ball back in field to save a 40/20 which would have resulted in a Canberra try if the ref hadnt already blown a penalty against Mateo.
* looking for our wingers EVERYTIME to return the ball rather than eating cheap metres on offer
* No urgency what-so-ever for Canberras first try. Did not even attempt a tackle
* pathetic kicking game which was only just better than Finch's
* But the one that stands out most for me, play near the end, game on the line.. where Crocker nearly scored, Burt jogs over friggin half hearted and sticks a boot out rather than putting his body on the line. Lucky B.Smith was there to save the day.

Biggest cat in first grade.

To offset all this he did make a break up the middle and threw a lovely cut out pass for our 1st try.

Im glad we won, but man that was a poor effort from a number of our players including repeat offenders Burt and Finch.

Last edited:

The P Eel

Juniors
Like it or not, he was one of our better players last night.
Seriously! Gronk i have to disagree mate - if you compare what Milne did with kick returns and general play Burt was not up to the mark. He is certainly a better player than what he showed last night IMO. He seemed to genuinely lack any sort of urgency.

Gronk

Staff member
Seriously! Gronk i have to disagree mate - if you compare what Milne did with kick returns and general play Burt was not up to the mark. He is certainly a better player than what he showed last night IMO. He seemed to genuinely lack any sort of urgency.

I'm not a member of the Burt cheer squad P Eel, I'm just saying that his contribution last night was far better and maybe 7 or 8 players in his team. Mateo is a case in point. Did he even play last night ?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I'm not a member of the Burt cheer squad P Eel, I'm just saying that his contribution last night was far better and maybe 7 or 8 players in his team. Mateo is a case in point. Did he even play last night ?

i agree actually, Mateo was awful.

oldmancraigy

Coach
i agree actually, Mateo was awful.

Because making 42 tackles and taking 10 hitups (hello Nathan Cayless?) while making 118m on the night was hopeless.

I agree that he didn't "spark" anything - and he only actually passed the ball 5 times (2 of which were while being tackled), but he's not going to single handedly create line-breaks every week.

If his name wasn't Mateo, we'd all be raving about how hard he worked and (generally) what a great game he had.

Ok - he missed a tackle and gave away ONE penalty. But really? Give the guy a break.
He played the full 80 and tackled his guts out. A couple of bad moments don't rule out a lion hearted effort.

Gronk

Staff member
Because making 42 tackles and taking 10 hitups (hello Nathan Cayless?) while making 118m on the night was hopeless.

I agree that he didn't "spark" anything - and he only actually passed the ball 5 times (2 of which were while being tackled), but he's not going to single handedly create line-breaks every week.

If his name wasn't Mateo, we'd all be raving about how hard he worked and (generally) what a great game he had.

Ok - he missed a tackle and gave away ONE penalty. But really? Give the guy a break.
He played the full 80 and tackled his guts out. A couple of bad moments don't rule out a lion hearted effort.

I would have thought that it wasn't the job of a "creative" lock forward to make 40+ tackles and one-out hitups ?

Suitman

Post Whore

Problem with Mateo is he is playing the wrong role.

He is not a hit up forward. He is a run two wide of the ruck forward with the chance to offload.
He is being completely wasted at lock, expected only to hit up plays and with little opportunity to display his vast array of skills.
He should be getting the ball two or three wide of the ruck, on the third or fourth tackle. That is where he is at his best.

Suity

Hellsy

Immortal
Geeeeez. I've never heard Burt referred to as a cat before.... thats a bit rich me thinks Mutombo