What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pull the finger out Burt

forward pass

Coach
I'm not a member of the Burt cheer squad P Eel, I'm just saying that his contribution last night was far better and maybe 7 or 8 players in his team. Mateo is a case in point. Did he even play last night ?

Agreed - I thought Burt was bloody good last night. His constant talk at the back alone is worth something.

The P Eel

Juniors
I'm not a member of the Burt cheer squad P Eel, I'm just saying that his contribution last night was far better and maybe 7 or 8 players in his team. Mateo is a case in point. Did he even play last night ?
Fair call re Mateo - have to agree.

CrazyEel

Bench
I would have thought that it wasn't the job of a "creative" lock forward to make 40+ tackles and one-out hitups ?

DA apparently thinks otherwise,

http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=54208

Anderson's biggest task in 2009 is harnessing the individual talent in his squad into a well-drilled football side.

He heaped special praise on lock Feleti Mateo who has shelved his free-flowing offloading game somewhat this year to do more tough work in the middle of the ground.

Against the Raiders Mateo made 42 tackles, and had 10 hit ups for 118m, while offloading just twice.

"Feleti played a very very tight and powerful role in the middle of the field where he hasn't had the luxury of getting many off-loads but he is sticking to a team task," said Anderson.

"That is what I want to see from all of our players, that they stick to the team task and deliver for the team and their teammates."

lingard

Coach
I think his spot is safe personally... I can't see him being shifted by DA.

When you're at a game live you see the amount of organising that Burt is doing in defence, constantly talking to and pointing for his wingers, so they can stay in position. We don't have anyone in the club that can do that vital part of being a fullback well.

Not Hayne, not Inu, not Reddy. That part of Burt's play is what will hopefully stop us leaking points down the sides this season - it certainly worked a treat against Souths.

I think Hayne is at 6 because he is second string to every player in the other backline positions - not as reliable in setting the defence from fullback as Burt, not as in form as Reddy and Grothe on the wings, and not any better at centre than Smith and Inu. If it's not broke, don't fix it imo...

That`s a different way of looking at it, Bart. Might be some truth in it too. Both comments, I mean.

lingard

Coach
On the radio last night they said that at half time, Daniel Anderson wanted more out of his 1, 6, and 7. So, I guess he`s not blind.

Eels Dude

Coach
Mateo made over 40 tackles last night and 18 hitups apparently. Maybe not his role to do that but nobody can argue with his effort. If he didn't make those 40 tackles then who should have?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Mateo made over 40 tackles last night and 18 hitups apparently. Maybe not his role to do that but nobody can argue with his effort. If he didn't make those 40 tackles then who should have?

I asked Feleti about that today at Ringrose and that's apparently how DA wants to play him. :?

strange I know...

oldmancraigy

Coach
Problem with Mateo is he is playing the wrong role.

He is not a hit up forward. He is a run two wide of the ruck forward with the chance to offload.
He is being completely wasted at lock, expected only to hit up plays and with little opportunity to display his vast array of skills.
He should be getting the ball two or three wide of the ruck, on the third or fourth tackle. That is where he is at his best.

Suity

So what's he supposed to do when they run at him?

Call Hindy over or something?

You gotta make the tackle when it's there to be made.

I loved this game from Mateo- shows there's real grit to him when needed.

Eels Dude

Coach
I asked Feleti about that today at Ringrose and that's apparently how DA wants to play him. :?

strange I know...

Interesting. He shouldn't have to make 40 tackles if we can get the majority of the possession which we didn't yesterday. If we have to defend for the bulk of the game than any forward is going to expected to tackle a lot more than they run. To make 40 tackles yet still run the ball 18 times is a bloody good effort. In a game where we dominate possession and field position Anderson's tactics there will be a lot more effective.

caylo

Bench

There is nothing to say Mateo cant make a hitup when his 30 meters out from his own try line and t he throw a flick pass 3/4 plays later to set up a try in the oppositions 20.

Mateo can make a tackle and back up the next set to be involved in a backline move. I think anderson is just trying to get him to become more involoved, but so far we have played gritty games rather than flashy style games.

Once the game has more flow, and passes start to click he will be up there. I would rather he hold it in his mit, then do dumb offloads liek Inu did twice against the radiers.

Someone made the comment on Hayne learning to do the Sutton/Inglus bomb, well how good was the one he put up. No one wanted to go near it to be honest.

Eels Dude

Coach

Agreed. It didn't help that Canberra really rushed up with their defence that it made it difficult to pass the ball more than once or twice in a place. They defended in general play well and didn't give away much space. If Mateo wanted to touch the ball at all he had to take the hitups. There was no chance of him getting the ball 3 wide of the ruck because the Raiders were rushing in and not allowing spreading of the ball in space.

Strangenuts

Juniors
Good to see Hayne kick the ball this week. Thought he showed good pace to score that intercept, but some people on here reckoned he'd lost speed.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree on Mateo. I think Ando wants to keep him quiet until we really need him, then unleash all hell. Plus him learning to play tough, gritty football is only a good thing.

lol @ people bagging Burt.

Firstly, as has been mentioned, his talk is absolutely second to none. Last year when playing fullback, Hayne's best game of talking and positioning paled into comparison to Burt's worst. He is far and away our best talker. Hands down.

Secondly, he threw the best pass of the night last Saturday to Grothe. Unlike Hayne's it didn't come close to being intercepted and totally caught the defenders out. It was a ripper and, once again unlike Hayne, it wasn't the only one he threw on Saturday, let alone this year.

Also, he made two very nice breaks from the back, one of which got us half way up the field. He isn't like Hunt or Milne etc - he doesn't slam himself into the defensive line. He tries to weave and spin and duck and Saturday showed that it can be very effective.

He is also a more consistent contributor to our kicking game than anyone bar Finch. In addition, he is our number one 40/20 kicker.

So what if he doesn't charge back on kick returns? Not every fullback does and not every fullback should. Burt was definitely one of our better players on Saturday night.

Last edited: