What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Put up or shut up, ASADA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharks to stonewall ASADA yet again

Cronulla officials are expecting their players to submit to ASADA interviews from next week, but it appears interrogators won't be getting any additional cooperation this time around.
So far, Sharks back-rower Wade Graham has been the only NRL player grilled, although that interview was aborted amid legal arguments over how much cooperation was required. But as the anti-doping body prepares to interview the other 30 players of interest, the majority of questions are likely to again be dead-batted as lawyers preserve their client's right against self-incrimination.
Graham has been pilloried for not opening up about the supplement program during his time at the club, but he was not obliged to do so. Rugby League Players' Association boss David Garnsey said ASADA's second attempt at interviews would progress along the same lines as its first.
''If interviews are going to proceed, I imagine they will proceed as they did in the past,'' Garnsey said. ''There was an extensive and lengthy analysis done and the [Graham] interviews were proceeding according to the rules.
Advertisement
Once changes outlined in the ASADA amendment bill become law, the anti-doping agency will be able to demand phone records, text messages, documents and medical prescriptions of players and others, regardless of whether
that evidence is self-incriminatory. While ASADA can compel players to attend interviews via a ''disclosure notice'' - with those refusing to cooperate facing fines of $5100 per day - players can still refuse to answer any questions which could lead to self-incrimination.
Cronulla general manager Steve Noyce said he was yet to be contacted by the NRL or ASADA - ''All we know about it at this stage is what's been written in the paper today'' - but confirmed the players would cooperate. ''They've done that to date. At this stage, yes [they will],'' Noyce said. ''No one has been in touch officially about these things but we'll respond as we have before, in a proactive way.
''We've said all along there is a process in place, everyone understands that. However, we've been asked to support it, we've done that. If what [is reported] is going to happen, so be that. We'll make sure we have the right support, advice and assistance for the players and we'll go forward from there.''
The NRL is expected to officially announce the interview process will resume in coming days. The first interview is expected to be scheduled for next Monday. ''We have always highlighted the ongoing nature of this investigation,'' an NRL spokesperson said. ''We are not in a position to confirm further details of ASADA's progress at this stage. It is in everyone's interests that these issues are resolved and we will continue to work closely with ASADA.''
The timing couldn't be worse for Cronulla, who are attempting to cement their place in the finals series. Coach Shane Flanagan and the players had previously attributed their slow start to the season to the uncertainty hanging over the club.
Asked whether the timing - with the club in a fight to make the playoffs - was a concern, Noyce said: ''I haven't been part of the whole process but I don't think the timing, at any time, is how you'd like it.
''It is as it is, you deal with these things as they come up … The process won't get finished until it gets started - I said that when the original interviews were on.
''Everyone in rugby league would like the process to be resolved sooner rather than later.''
The dramas have had an adverse effect on Cronulla's bottom line. The Sharks were so close to securing Cenovis as their major sponsor that they were already planning launches to celebrate the announcement. But after a spate of negative NRL headlines, the vitamins and supplements company pulled the plug on a deal which would have plastered their name on the front of Cronulla jersey until the end of 2015.
However, there has been some positive news on the sponsorship front. Remondis has taken up the naming rights for their home ground, Painaway has come on board as a sleeve sponsor and One Solution is now emblazoned on their shorts. On Friday, the club signed off on a deal with Reozeone, who will sponsor Flanagan and the club's table-topping NSW Cup team.
''There is lots of exciting news in that regard and we will keep on working on whatever commercial opportunities there are for the club,'' Noyce said. ''There's a good culture; people are coming on board.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...a-yet-again-20130720-2qb20.html#ixzz2ZcdmIJuU

Stagger Lee

Bench
If they bring our club down, I hope there is a deranged fan out there that wants retribution!

Just for clarification are you referring to the media (as in shoot the messenger) or the club officials and players that knowingly cheated (if proven)

What sort of retribution would you deem appropriate if your club did 'go down'?

Special K

Coach
I was talking with a lawyer today and they were saying if there is or was a deal with the AFL our boys have huge ground for a case against ASADA.

Card Shark

Immortal
Just for clarification are you referring to the media (as in shoot the messenger) or the club officials and players that knowingly cheated (if proven)

What sort of retribution would you deem appropriate if your club did 'go down'?

SL, the media (1 organisation in particular) has an agenda against us, that is plain to see.

However, if it is proven we knowingly & deliberately broke drug rules, anyone that was involved needs to be reprimanded ... By a gang of thugs.

Won't be me as I'm not deranged... But then again, if the club went down, I might be ;-)

Card Shark

Immortal
I was talking with a lawyer today and they were saying if there is or was a deal with the AFL our boys have huge ground for a case against ASADA.

I suppose it depends on how similar the cases are. It seems very similar but maybe it's not?

I'm still confused as to whether we are in a worse position than Essendon.

I suppose if the AFL have done a deal with them, we are.

Special K

Coach
Everyone has to be treated the same though. They can't be seen as doing a deal with one group and not the other. It's a form of defamation as it is being played out in the public and can affect their future incomes.

Vin Fizz

Bench
The rag that is reporting this is the same rag that has been into us for months and the same curtis that has been telling everyone that the sharks will be fugged "this week". I call horseshit again.

she has seen the Kavanagh report.

so, she knows "something"

her something may well be "nothing"

i mean, its all up to WADA anyway. they can over rule anything that ASADA does as is my understanding.

like if they didnt like the way it was investigated.

Madsharkie

First Grade
Senior Sharks need to step up, says winger

By Darren Walton
AAP
Mon 22nd July, 3:00pm

Winger Beau Ryan says the onus remains very much on senior Cronulla players not involved in the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority's investigation into the use of banned substances to keep the Sharks' NRL title hopes alive.
ASADA will next week resume interviews with 31 current rugby league players at the centre of its probe, including 10 Sharks, and Ryan admits the timing couldn't be worse as Cronulla cling to a spot in the top eight just seven rounds out from the finals.
"We're at the stage now where ASADA have had all year to report their findings and they haven't come up with much except disgruntled our footy side," Ryan told AAP on Monday.
"But we've bounced back and it just shows the character of some of the guys who have been involved in it.
"They're still only in their mid-20s and I think they've handled it exceptionally well."
Even so, Ryan conceded the club's less experienced players were "rattled" when the Australian Crime Commission first released its report into drugs in sport and organised crime in February, after which the Sharks lost five of their first seven games, including four straight.
Ryan says the team's leaders, particularly those not involved in the probe, must stand up again in the Sharks' time of need.
"It's a bad time to bring it up now, especially with the year we've had, overcoming a lot of adversity at the start of the year," he said.
"We've been in the top four and now (we are) back in the eight.
"The guys that weren't there, it's been our responsibility to keep the other guys' minds off it.
"There's probably about a dozen of us in the playing roster, all in key positions, that have got to keep guys' minds off it.
"But it's hard when it's affecting people's home lives."
Ryan was among eight regular first-graders missing from Cronulla's 40-0 loss on Saturday to the Sydney Roosters, a heavy defeat which the winger insists the Sharks can rebound from.
"We've had our fair share of ups and downs and a single loss isn't going to change our season or change our drive," Ryan said.
"We can bounce back. Getting Luke Lewis and Gal (skipper Paul Gallen) back over the next fortnight will obviously help us and we'll come good before the semis."
Ryan, who expects to make his own comeback from knee surgery in two or three weeks, says the top four is still within the Sharks' reach.
"That's been our goal all year and it starts again this weekend with Penrith," he said.
"With such a logjam around us, we need to win. It's as simple as that.
"Our destiny is in our own hands and if we can put on a strong display against the Panthers and then the Warriors, that will put us in good stead for the rest of the year.
"But it's a must-win game for us this Sunday. There's no two ways about it. If we don't win this week, it's going to make life very hard for us."

http://www.nrl.com/senior-sharks-need-to-step-up,-says-winger/tabid/10874/newsid/73600/default.aspx

Madsharkie

First Grade
Leaked ASADA file reveals favourable AFL treatment
  • by:Rebecca Wilson, James Hooper and Josh Massoud
  • July 22, 201312:00AM
EXCLUSIVE: THE AFL and Federal Government cut a private deal in February for ASADA to "explore all avenues" to spare Essendon players from suspension over the systemic use of supplements last season.
The deal is outlined in a document obtained exclusively by The Daily Telegraph.
Its existence has outraged NRL officials, who suspected the AFL had received favourable treatment from ASADA and the Federal Sports Ministry shortly after the drugs-in-sport investigation was announced on February 7.
When NRL chief executive Dave Smith initially learned of the deal he was fuming, raising it with ex-Prime Minister Julia Gillard in March.
The revelation of the private deal, which excluded the NRL, comes less than a week after sections of the Melbourne media began a campaign blaming ASADA for providing incorrect advice in relation to Essendon's use of AOD-9604, suggesting the anti-doping watchdog informed the club it was not prohibited.
Less than two weeks after the Australian Crime Commission released its report into drugs in sport and organised crime on February 7, the AFL deal was drafted to give Essendon players "an immediate level of comfort".
Dated February 20, the document informs the players, some of whom are alleged to have had multiple injections of AOD-9604, about their chances of receiving a "complete elimination of sanction" pursuant to the "no fault" or "negligence" defences.
Outlined in the nine separate dot points, the document begins: "ASADA met with you on 18 February 2013 to give you an overview of the (sic) ASADA's investigation process and of the possible outcomes of the investigation.
"Today (20 February 2013), we have come back to you to take you through an agreement we have reached with the Australian Football League about how the investigation is going to proceed from this point.
"The AFL understands that the investigation is likely to be protracted, complex and lengthy. To provide an immediate level of comfort for Essendon players it is proposed that the following assistance be given to the players."
The nine heads of agreement are then stated, assuring players they will be given every chance to escape the mandatory two-year ban for illicit drug use.
"ASADA will explain to the players that these are exceptional circumstances and the defence of no fault or negligence may be available," the letter reads.
"It will be explained to the players that under a no fault or negligence defence a player can receive a complete elimination of sanction.
"Where a player does come forward and provides a sworn statement regarding his involvement or the involvement of any other person, ASADA and the AFL will fully explore all avenues in an attempt to provide a no fault or negligence defence or substantial assistance.
"ASADA agrees that a significant contributing factor in the consideration of a no fault or negligence defence will be the extent to which players knew or suspected they had used prohibited substances at the instigation of sports science staff and took utmost caution in relation to the treatments they were receiving.
"Where ASADA forms the view that the defence of no fault or negligence is available in relation to a particular player, ASADA and the AFL agree that they will support the application of that defence to that player in proceedings before relevant sports tribunals."
The "no fault" defence is only granted in exceptionally rare circumstances, such as an athlete being treated with banned drugs while unconscious.
In contrast, Cronulla and the NRL were only offered the lesser "no significant fault" defence that reduces bans to a minimum of six months.
AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said Sunday night: "The AFL met with ASADA and representatives of the Federal Government to establish a framework to enable the investigation to proceed and be completed with full cooperation of the Essendon Football Club and the Essendon players.
"All parties have complied with this framework to date. This framework did not provide for any guaranteed outcomes re recommendations or sanctions."
ASADA said Sunday it had never offered a zero sanction to any athlete or support person.
ASADA's investigation into Essendon is being finalised, with an outcome expected next month.
In contrast, the probe into Cronulla and 21 other current NRL players is expected to take much longer after all interviews were suspended in May.
The NRL will this week announce the restart of a series of interviews with Sharks players from next Monday.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/story-fni3fbgz-1226682793566?from=public_js

Omnishark2

Juniors
It is a complete bloody disgrace for a publicly funded body to operate like this.

Offering Essendon a "no fault or negligence" defence vs Sharks "no significant default" defence is outrageous favourtism - heads should roll over this.

tye

Juniors
Hopefully this time round we are better prepared and a bit more professional in our actions!

The Popper

Bench
I just hope we're treated fairly. With Mz. Wilson and her gang after our blood, I'm really surprised that Rothfield hasn't given us some positive press on this issue (unless it just Zipped past and I missed it).

Status
Not open for further replies.