What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Q and A thread for new coaches

Misty Bee

First Grade
Home ground advantage has not changed.

I know it caused some concern in the past - leading to somewhat predictable results. However, you still need a HGA to give weaker clubs a shot at victory. Without HGA, only the stringer clubs would win.

Secondly, HGA gives a club a chance to run players back into form.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
When we get to the finals, if a PL team doesn't have their first grade team also playing that week, what are the rules for selection? Eg. do they have to have played a certain % of matches in PL during the regular season; or have played the last 5 rounds of the regular season in PL?

Misty Bee

First Grade
Trials don't affect players form for CRLVII round 1. However, I might publish players form changes so you get an idea of what to expect. Form will probably count for both trials if you are playing 2 trial games.

As for your other curly question - thanks for reminding me to institute a too hard basket LOL!

The easiest thing for me is to exempt the 13 best players at the end of round 15. So that means the bottom 24 players would be available, including 4 that would otherwise be on the first grade bench.

With the top 13 exempt - a PL team without a FG team in the finals would have an advantage over a PL team WITH a FG team in the trials - being the 4 benchies from the firsts. The alternative is to have the top 17 exempt - meaning the PL team with a FG team in the finals has the advantage of being able to call on EVERY player in the club. It's unlikely that a gun first grader would be in PLin the finals, but it's possible, and adds to flexibility. A 7 7 regular first grader could be devestating in the PL, and have a lesser impact on the FG side he is missing from.

So I propose eliminating the top 13 players in such an event.

Does that sound fair?

I vote for a compromise top 15 excluded.

A PL coach should not be penalised tooo much for the First grade success.

Ghoulies

Bench
Misty, I seem to remember reading about possible changes to how the interchange system works (such as the possibility to double-boost certain areas). Have any such changes been made, or will the current system remain in place?

Misty Bee

First Grade
The interchange will remain the same.

The double boost idea was to use a seperate 'attack or defend' order covering all the backs or all the forwards. It won't be used for CRLVII.

rabs

Staff member
I like Um's idea of excluding the top 15, or maybe exclude the 17 players from the club with most first grade appearances sorted on aggregate Attack and defence in the event of more than one player listed at number 17

I was hoping that it would work on a minimum games played senario. (say 6 games in PL minumum)
As I was intending to rotate the beanch I was hoping to get all ours in. :sch:

Anyways, The Storm intend to have both teams in the GF so top 15 or 16 suits us
;-)

bartman

Immortal
Good question EE, re eligibility for PL finals. It is tricky...

I'm leaning toward the idea of exclusing of the top rated 15 players for a club with no first grade team in finals. This would mean you could use the two lowest ranked players from first grade (which would be benchies) in Prems. In Parramatta's case these two would be ranked equal or lower than some of the guys picked to start in Prems, so not a huge benefit but reflecting some real life reality?

Only excluding 13 might mean a bigger advantage come PL semi-time for clubs whose first grade perform poorly all season?

bartman

Immortal
eloquentEEL said:
Giving it a bit more thought... i remember you saying that you worked out the new salary caps by adjusting the first grade cap and then adding the same amount to each team for PL. I think that's the key... have the points start in first grade, but have PL with points start only to reflect HGA as they were supposedly all given the same amount to work with.
That rings true in my mind now as well. 208 was nominally added for all PL salary caps. So a HGA points start would give PL coaches something to compete/measure against. The exact salary ratings for each clubs two grades are likely to change over time with form and selections, so it would seem too hard to allocate PL points start in advance on that basis as well.

Choppy71

Is there an '06 version of this happening ? Are there any vacancies ? If so I would like to have a crack at this.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Yep we generally run two seasons a year and we're just in the recruitment phase for the first 06 season. Not sure about vacancies I do remember Misty saying there were a few missing in action coaches but I'm not sure if that's the case or not.

Jono078

Referee
Anyone got any idea when Misty will update the off contract lists?

I know rabs has but it would be easier if Misty could just remove the contracted players.

Latest posts