What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quade Cooper knocks back Parramatta Eels offer to switch to NRL and sticks with Union

Springs

First Grade
I googled Hay and all I found was this..........

k0389893.jpg

Suity

That's pretty much it, except the rolls aren't there. Just flat dirt plains. But I would rather it over Sydney any day.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-hunt-for-cooper/story-e6frepm6-1225917645968

Eels still keen to lure Wallabies star Quade Cooper to NRL

* Jim Tucker, Iain Payten
* September 11, 2010 12:00AM

PARRAMATTA are still convinced they will sign Wallaby star Quade Cooper to the NRL in 2012 after revealing they encouraged him to first live his World Cup dream in rugby.

Froday's bombshell that Cooper had signed only a new one-year deal to stay in rugby is a win for next year's Rugby World Cup campaign, but a signal of how strong the lure of rugby league is within him.

"I'm convinced Quade will play league and that it will be with the blue and gold," Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne said.

"I told Quade I didn't want him coming to play with us (in 2011) and being disappointed at missing out on the World Cup.

"We've had some good chats and I said 'play the World Cup'. I don't know if it made his decision easier but with a great kid like this you're prepared to take the longer term view."

Osborne may well be trying to spin a good look out of Cooper spurning a $1.5 million deal over three years, but the fact is the NRL club baited a hook that nearly snared him.

Cooper said advice from his mum, Ruhia, and his boyhood idol were key factors in him staying a Wallaby for the 2011 World Cup.

"My mum said something to me from when I was a kid and I was watching the World Cup," Cooper explained ahead of tonight's Test against the All Blacks in Sydney.

"Apparently I said to her: 'I want to play in that one day, and win a World Cup one day'.

"When she told me that, it was a big surprise, how much that meant. When you look up all the factors that contributed to make a decision; family, friends, a shot at the World Cup, all those things added up."

So too some 11th-hour advice from Cooper's boyhood idol Carlos Spencer. He told The Courier-Mail last weekend Cooper was a once-in-a-generation player who'd be "silly" to go to league with the chance to light up the World Cup.

"To have words like that from a childhood hero, and still a hero now, wow," Cooper said. "What he said about me is very special for me. I guess I will never forget those words."

The option of playing league remains.

Eels superstar Jarryd Hayne said the Eels would "have to wait 12 months".

ARU boss John O'Neill yesterday wasn't prepared to contemplate another round of negotiations next year but said he remained confident his 15-year record of not losing any player to league "we really wanted" would stand.

El Diablo

Post Whore
ARU boss John O'Neill yesterday wasn't prepared to contemplate another round of negotiations next year but said he remained confident his 15-year record of not losing any player to league "we really wanted" would stand.

:lol:

nobody in the last 15 years has wanted a yawnion player. that is why you haven't lost any

Gronk

Staff member
But the fact that the 22-year-old limited his commitment to a one-year contract even though the ARU more the doubled its original offer to him strongly suggests Cooper is genuinely interested in testing himself in the NRL and was not using the massive Eels bid as a negotiating lever.

Indeed, so confident were Parramatta contacts yesterday that Cooper will switch codes to join them in 2012 that it may be the two parties have already reached a verbal agreement.

Certainly Parramatta star Jarryd Hayne appears to have only given up on Cooper for the short term.

"He's very keen to try his hand at league so I guess we've just got to wait 12 months," Hayne said yesterday.

Even a handshake deal with the Eels would not be legally binding, although, depending on what salary cap increases the NRL approves after concluding its broadcast deal next year, Cooper could be looking at as much as $1 million per season to switch to rugby league.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-wallaby-for-now/story-e6frg7mf-1225917711478

Haynzy

First Grade
Of course O'neil would say that....any player that leaves, he only has to say he didn't want them.

boxhead

First Grade
The sentiments are strong we will get him. He is definitely interested in playing Rugby League, and we are the ones that can offer him the most money, and the biggest draw for him has always been to play alongside Jarryd Hayne.

We will wait and see what happens, but something interesting I noticed is that with the TV Rights to hopefully increase the salary cap in 2012 (by a big amount perhaps??), we could now potentially afford a couple of big name signings (we have about a million left to spend if I remember correctly) and on multi-year deals too, and we would still have plenty for Quade in 2012.

parra pete

Referee
Even a handshake deal with the Eels would not be legally binding,

It might not be legally binding...but it is morally binding..If a person renege's on a handshake agreement he was not worth having in the first place
IF Cooper has a handshake agreement with the Club he will be coming in 2012

Last edited:

caylo

Bench

It might not be legally binding...but it is morally binding..If a person renege's on a handshake agreement he was not worth having in the first place

If a verbal agreement is reached then it is legally binding assuming it can be proven. Obviously in this case I Quade had made a verbal agreement and its been keep hush-hush then it would be hard to prove.

if quade has signed with the aru for 1 year whats the problem with parra signing him for 2012 right now? he will still see out his union contract i dont see what the big issue is

El Diablo

Post Whore
Rothfield was on 2GB saying that tomorrows DT has an interview with Quade Cooper. he seemed to be fairly sure QC has just signed for the WC and will most likely be an Eel in 2012

dunno if that is said in the interview

have to wait and see

jono

Juniors
He may feel that he is puttingg his spot in the WC side in jeopardy?
Barring injury QC is NO CHANCE of missing the number 10 Wallaby shirt in RWC 2011.
I hope over the next 12 months he doesn't develop an emotional bond to the Wallabies.
The more I watch of this guy , the more I can't wait to see him in the blue and gold.

strider

Post Whore

If a verbal agreement is reached then it is legally binding assuming it can be proven. Obviously in this case I Quade had made a verbal agreement and its been keep hush-hush then it would be hard to prove.

who cares about handshakes and verbals? .... it means nothing at the end of the day .... we've seen signed contracts mean little these days

if a guy tries to get out of verbal agreement he had cos he would rather be somewhere else, then what's the point? take him to court to make him play where he doesn't want to be? pfffft, what's the good in that - will just piss him off even more

at the end of the day you want ppl playing for you who want to be there - no contract written/verbal/otherwise is going to mean anything to parra's success if the guy eventually decides he doesn't want to be here

caylo

Bench
who cares about handshakes and verbals? .... it means nothing at the end of the day .... we've seen signed contracts mean little these days

if a guy tries to get out of verbal agreement he had cos he would rather be somewhere else, then what's the point? take him to court to make him play where he doesn't want to be? pfffft, what's the good in that - will just piss him off even more

at the end of the day you want ppl playing for you who want to be there - no contract written/verbal/otherwise is going to mean anything to parra's success if the guy eventually decides he doesn't want to be here

I agree with you on tht point, you want people here that take pride in playing for parramatta. I was merely making the point that a verbal agreement that can be proved (i.e recording) is as good as signing a contract.

Ratchy

Juniors
Rothfield was on 2GB saying that tomorrows DT has an interview with Quade Cooper. he seemed to be fairly sure QC has just signed for the WC and will most likely be an Eel in 2012

dunno if that is said in the interview

have to wait and see

Rothfield is a bit of a dribbler tho

mickdo

Coach
If a verbal agreement is reached then it is legally binding assuming it can be proven.

Correct, and the proving part for deals like this is usually incredibly difficult unless there is an accompanying contract that just hasn't been signed yet. Without black and white (or video or something), forget about it.

Snoochies

First Grade
Could Wendell, Matt Rogers and Tahu be Union players they lost to league. In my book, if you start to play Union regardless of what you played prior, you are a Union player.

Latest posts