What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quade Cooper knocks back Parramatta Eels offer to switch to NRL and sticks with Union

Gronk

Staff member
It's funny how the Rah Rahs are hedging their bets now. A few die hards have told me over the past couple of days that they are meh about losing him, not worth the cash and is easily replaceable. Seems that the 1 year deal has surprised them a tad...

Gronk

Staff member
I couldn't walk away from the Wallabies and my mates, reveals Cooper

Josh Rakic

October 10, 2010

Quade2-420x0.jpg

WALLABIES five-eighth Quade Cooper says he's happier than he has ever been - and has Kurtley Beale and James O'Connor to thank for it.
Less than a year after his burgeoning career was in jeopardy when he faced criminal charges, which were later dropped, Cooper has reinvented himself to become the most exciting player in Australian rugby.

And while his superstar status could have resulted in him playing in the NRL next season instead of the Rugby World Cup, Cooper revealed his decision to stay came down to loyalty and mateship.
''It was obviously a big decision,'' said the 22-year-old, who turned down a three-year offer from the Parramatta Eels to sign a one-year contract extension with ARU.
''I had huge things weighing on my mind. There was a World Cup to be won, some of my best mates were in the team, and there was something I felt we were building towards with the way we were improving. But at the same time there was also a massive challenge in rugby league, and that was something that very much enticed me.
''I feel I made the right decision. To go on this tour with these guys and prepare for a World Cup next year is pretty massive.''
Cooper said he wouldn't rule out playing NRL in the future but had not committed to linking with the Eels in 2012. ''There's still plenty of time for me in both codes,'' he said. ''My immediate future for now is settled and I'm focused on nothing but the Wallabies, but there's always time down the track - I'm only 22 so I can't close the door on any options. And there's certainly no rush.
''I'm going to give rugby my all for now, and hopefully we can put a few trophies in the cabinet.''
What if O'Connor, Beale and Dave Pocock commit to the Wallabies beyond 2012? ''Mate, I guess we'll tick that box when we come to it,'' said the Queensland Reds star, who this week returned from a Bali holiday with Beale and O'Connor.
''I see it being a long time away with this tour, Super 15 next year, Tri Nations, and hopefully if I'm injury free and playing good footy, I'll get selected in the World Cup squad and bring that trophy back to Australia.''
Cooper said he was indebted to rugby and owed the Wallabies his all after making it through the darkest period of his life.
''I can't even tell you how much my life has changed in a year,'' he said. ''There have been so many ups but just as many downs. When you go through as much life experience as I have in six to 12 months there has to be a lot of things you learn from it, and you have to be able to take the positives out of it and learn from the negatives.
''Kurtley has done that, too. The good thing about footy is it's a good way to escape from everything once you are on the field with your best mates. If something bad happens to one of your mates, you are there to support them. I think that's what happened in both of our cases - we've really found out who our friends are and who is not.
''It's been a good thing having guys like KB, James O'Connor and David Pocock to help each other through the good times and the bad.''
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...d-my-mates-reveals-cooper-20101009-16cxx.html

Gronk

Staff member
but he's a 5/8

He's a 10 in rugby but that does not mean he would play 6 in league. Cam Smith would play half in rugby. Our backrowers generally are best suited to inside centre in rugby. Can't make direct positional comparisons frankly.

caylo

Bench
He's a 10 in rugby but that does not mean he would play 6 in league. Cam Smith would play half in rugby. Our backrowers generally are best suited to inside centre in rugby. Can't make direct positional comparisons frankly.

His style of play is suited to 5-8 in rugby league IMO, but he could play halfback. I disagree with your backrower/centre comment, while someone like Benny Smith, Ben Creigh and Scott could play as a RU inside centres (for there defence) the position is generally held by someone with more attack ability.

If you where to pick RL players that would make good inside centres I think generally go with a ball playing lock/running 5-8 (Anasta, Mateo, Sutton, Bird) or a ball playing centre (Lyon, Inglis, Rogers).

ParraAds

Juniors

Yep... 10 is first receiver in Union.

mrpwnd

Bench
He mostly plays as 2nd reciever, at least from what I see. More of a Marshal-esque player, excels when feeding off a dominant halfback. Just because he's got the 'whole package' that everyone's been developing a boner over doesn't necessarily mean he'll have the vision, ability or the patience to take on the role of the dominant halfback when it comes to league.
Although in saying that, he's automatically sky high above anything we can produce at this stage.

Gronk

Staff member
Cooper could handle NRL defence: Blake

David Beniuk

November 25, 2010 - 7:49PM

AAP
Quade Cooper could handle the tackling demands of the NRL if he decided to try his hand there, says Wallabies defence coach and former league star Phil Blake.
Blake has been charged with fixing Australia's defensive wobbles on their European tour and Cooper has been the former league journeyman's pet project.
The Wallabies five-eighth has begun attracting opposing sides' ball-runners after a bad day out in the loss to England.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Cooper toyed with the idea of joining the Parramatta Eels earlier this year before re-signing with Australian rugby until the end of the 2011 World Cup.
Blake, who played for seven rugby league clubs before beginning a coaching career in union, said Cooper would handle the relentless barrage of the 13-man game.
"I think he can but he'll be doing a lot more tackling in league than the five or six that you do in union," Blake said.
"Once you're in that channel they just target you."
Blake said defence in rugby was now "as strong" as that in league, but there were still differences.
"With league you've got that 10 metre gap between the sides so the collisions are a bit more forceful," he said.
"Because someone's got a 10 metre gallop on you, your initial contact's got to be pretty spot on."
The 45-year-old, who has a torn hamstring after a trademark chip-and-chase went wrong in a recent game of touch footy, is confident Cooper's days of being targeted in rugby will soon be over.
He said Cooper had been getting his head into the wrong position, effecting his momentum in making a tackle.
"If it's a perceived weakness it doesn't go away in a week, you've got to continually keep fronting up each week and showing it's not a problem for it to go away," Blake said.
"It's not about the contact, that's not the problem, it's just a few little technical things.
"It worked well on Saturday (against Italy) because, not only no misses, but he came up with a couple of nice tackles.
"If you do your first one and your second one you get your confidence and it just flows through."
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/cooper-could-handle-nrl-defence-blake-20101125-188zi.html

caylo

Bench
He mostly plays as 2nd reciever, at least from what I see. More of a Marshal-esque player, excels when feeding off a dominant halfback. Just because he's got the 'whole package' that everyone's been developing a boner over doesn't necessarily mean he'll have the vision, ability or the patience to take on the role of the dominant halfback when it comes to league.
Although in saying that, he's automatically sky high above anything we can produce at this stage.

I agree in the he is a second reciever, he generally plays wider then you would expect from a fly half so if he came to league it would almost certainly be as a 5-8 and if he came to parramatta that would do some damage to the Mortz-love.

Raudonikis

Juniors
I agree in the he is a second reciever, he generally plays wider then you would expect from a fly half so if he came to league it would almost certainly be as a 5-8 and if he came to parramatta that would do some damage to the Mortz-love.

As usual you are full of sh*t and have no idea..if Quade came to parra and played 5/8 and morts had a half decent partner in the halves instead of f**kin robson or kk they would kill it.some of you people have no idea at all.yes i mean you to lingard:crazy:

boxhead

First Grade

Why do you even bother? Seriously.....

I think defence can be taught or rather improved, you can't coach talent into people like Quade has.

boxhead

First Grade
I know he is a terrible defender, but the thing is that attacking talent can't be taught, you either have it or you don't. Defence however, can be improved with training and hard work. The thing is though, being a great defender generally means defensive talent (if that's what it is called) is inherent in the player; with some players you can't improve their defensive issues greatly.

A prime example is Jamie Soward - used to be a terrible defender but now he at least isn't just a speedbump anymore, he has improved his defence but at the same time the Dragons still disguise him in defence so as not to expose a potential hole and also so as to keep his energy up for when they go on the attack.

caylo

Bench
Why do you even bother? Seriously.....

I think defence can be taught or rather improved, you can't coach talent into people like Quade has.
I was implying that mortz would find it difficult too keep his starting spot. I don't think Cooper defence is that bad.
Radonikus, I am if the opinion that mortz does not currently have the skills to play halfback yet, do unless they magically improve he will only ever be a 5-8 behind a during halfback. If you don't agree be a bit more polite about it, I didn't run over your dog..

Eelementary

Post Whore
Who cares about Quade's defence? Slot Hindy or Benny next to him and we're sweet.

Quade has an amazing ability to toy with opposition defences and score points - something we need. Sign him up. :sarcasm:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
What the?

ANY running #10 / Five Eigth could/would play HALFBACK IN LEAGUE.

Five Eigth is first receiver in Union. Look to Gower if you have any doubt!

There are 2 distinct styles of inside centre or #12 in Union. There is the "second receiver" who is often a High School/provincial five eigth pushed out wider when playing more senior footy. Lee Steness, Pita Alitini, Aaron Mauger even Matt Giteau are examples. They offer creativity and a second kick option. Then there is the physical ball running style - think SBW, Nonu, Sella (france used to swap centres around during the game), Andy Farrell, even Hape at a pinch. Often these guys originated on wing or centre and came further in as they got bigger, older and slower eg Tana Umaga.

The two different styles have been around since the dawn of Rugby. The physical ball runner style was actually originated from needing a strong defender. Now the attack they bring through mere physicality seems to be decisive in the decision.

The thing to remember is that most five eigths in Union can play second five eigth but as a creative option. Carter debut'd his first 2 years in tests as a 12. Wilkinson played a lot of second five. Giteau another example.

As someone pointed out the games are not identical. For example - Joey would have been awesome at Union as five eigth - but Benji would have needed to be a second five. Carlos Spencer would have been a dynamite league halfback. Grant Fox/Mehrtens would have been horrid.

If you see a running five eigth in Union (rare as hens teeth) I have no doubt they could play halfback successfully. This includes Larkham though he'd have been even outstanding as a fullback in league in my opinion.

Last edited:
Well, looking at the Raiders, J.McCrone almost plays exclusively down the right, like an extra right-centre, where T.Campese is seen all over the field. Campese is the hlf-back in that team, even though he wears No.6. I can see Q.Cooper playing down that right channel inbetween the second-rower and centre, to have some defensive protection, and Daniel Mortimer given the free-er half-back role. But is Mortimer's defence up to it ?

And as you mentioned Carlos Spencer, flip, yeah, he could have been the difference in the Eels winning a Grand Final. Would love to see Mike Phillips in R.League too.

spiderdan

Bench
Who cares about Quade's defence? Slot Hindy or Benny next to him and we're sweet.

Quade has an amazing ability to toy with opposition defences and score points - something we need. Sign him up. :sarcasm:
you're right but at the same time he also has a tendency to take a flashy high risk option when the simple stuff would work. Since the news broke that osbourne wanted him at parra I've watched him play a bit (great work by Ossie to do marketing for the aru and increase their audience). Qc has got some freaky ability but watching him play now for every good amazing thing he does he also does 3 or 4 really stupid things. Have some union mates who agree with this. When i asked them at first about qc they said take him. Some people bagged Tim smith for that same reason years ago and I think Qc has more of that in his game.

Latest posts