What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quade Cooper knocks back Parramatta Eels offer to switch to NRL and sticks with Union

:lol: so you are saying New Zealand, who won their only RWC in 1987, are now the bench mark in terms of form for the next WC??

Just for the record, the Wallabies have appeared in 3 from 6 World Cup finals and won it twice. Given the history, it's probably just a little bit tempting to play in one if you're name is Quade Cooper.

I mean, I know people want him here, and so do I, but to down-play the importance of what is a fantastic tournament is just embarrassing.

NO, what I am saying is that New Zealand is streets ahead of the Wallabies. Next I am saying the World cup in France, or the UK or South Africa is a Big thing to an Australian. The World cup in Australia would be a big thing, but seriously a World Cup in New Zealand seems a but humm drum to me. Not some big carrot.

I think the English showed us here at ANZ Stadium what they can do to us once they are partially acclimatised. I think the All Blacks have already shown us and will show us again, and I think there are a few more sides in World Rugby who will be able to show the Wallabies.

Look at our World cup Draw for crying out loud. We are in a Pool with Ireland, Italy, Russia and the USA. We will get 2 wins there and 2 close games, we will make it out of the Pool Stage to the quarters and meet some real opposition, most likely Wales or South Africa and I think that is all she will write for the Wallabies.

The World Cup meant something when these blokes were part of the "Amateur Code" it was a big glitzy trip and a hard competition, at the moment I don't as a spectator see the RWC as that with Australian Rugby the way it is.

El Diablo

Post Whore
nope

he just said what most RL supporters think imo

i doubt AFL give a rats either seeing they hate both forms of Rugby

DeanPay98

Juniors
The World Cup is a very big deal for Union players. So he probably will stay. But the World Cup will probably end in humiliation for the Wallabies just like 2007.

Australia has won two World Cups but our last win was in 1999. From 1998-2002 we had a superstar team. We don't anymore. Since then the Wallabies have played like crap. They run the ball a lot less, there are constant penalties and its a kick-a-thon. Even when the scores are high the games are now dull to watch.

The All Blacks have the best team in World Rugby and they have had that since 1995. Unfortunately, they have a remarkable ability to choke, as they did in 1995, 2003 and 2007. But they were cheated out of a world cup in 1995. IMO they were awesome that year, the way Lomu flattened an English player with the Maori sidestep will always be one of the best things I've seen in rugby.

But sadly Union has been boring for the past few year. Even sadder Quade will stick with the boring game and bore us silly at the World Cup.

mrpwnd

Bench
:lol: so you are saying New Zealand, who won their only RWC in 1987, are now the bench mark in terms of form for the next WC??

Just for the record, the Wallabies have appeared in 3 from 6 World Cup finals and won it twice. Given the history, it's probably just a little bit tempting to play in one if you're name is Quade Cooper.

I mean, I know people want him here, and so do I, but to down-play the importance of what is a fantastic tournament is just embarrassing.
Their last appearance had George Gregan combining with Mortlock which was one of the most dynamic combinations I have ever seen in Union. Since Gregan's retirement they've never been the same side. Their win against the boks was on the back of the worst first half defense I have ever seen, even then the boks still came back in the 2nd half. I'd say theres about a 90% chance that the all blacks will hammer the wallabies, given their current form I don't see the wallabies being able to put anything over the all blacks and tbh Cooper was horrible in defense against the boks, put him up against the all blacks and watch him get steamrolled all night, lose motivation and move to parra.

Parra Guru

Coach
Or join an NRL team who came 12th after being grand finalists the year before.... Yeah I can see what a 'carrot' that would be....

jono

Juniors
mmmm because Beau Ryan's word should be taken as gospel....
Ah ,yes , but Beau Knows....!
TBH , I quite enjoy his segments on TFS , in fact , it's probably the only entertainment worth watching on the show.
I was dirty he scored those two tries agin us tho'

mrpwnd

Bench
Ah ,yes , but Beau Knows....!
TBH , I quite enjoy his segments on TFS , in fact , it's probably the only entertainment worth watching on the show.
I was dirty he scored those two tries agin us tho'
Comedy on the footy show died with Matty Johns.

PJ Marshal

Coach
We offer stephanie rice a 3 year deal and you can bet your life quade will follow

mind you shes offended ian robertsssssss latley

Bazal

Post Whore
If he stays it will be the money, if he comes it will be the momey, simple as that. The Wallabies talking up the world cup is a laugh, as it stands I have grave doubts we'll even make the last 4. He won't stay for that, it'll be the dollars and nothing more.

84 Baby

Referee
Their last appearance had George Gregan combining with Mortlock which was one of the most dynamic combinations I have ever seen in Union. Since Gregan's retirement they've never been the same side. Their win against the boks was on the back of the worst first half defense I have ever seen, even then the boks still came back in the 2nd half. I'd say theres about a 90% chance that the all blacks will hammer the wallabies, given their current form I don't see the wallabies being able to put anything over the all blacks and tbh Cooper was horrible in defense against the boks, put him up against the all blacks and watch him get steamrolled all night, lose motivation and move to parra.
Are you a Giteau fan as well? Gregan was overrated. People here complain about Keating's service, Gregan's was easily just as bad and that's only magnified in union. He would always jump back at every ruck, had rubbish kicking game and he's constant delaying of feeding the scrum resulted in thousands of penalties. He dined out on one try saving tackle for 10 years. Whitaker was easily the better scrum half. Wallabies problem was that they followed what every once else did and manufactured an experienced (read old) pack but firstly didn't have the local competition to bring up the new (slightly less older) forwards and secondly politics meant they didn't persist with the forwards they did bring in.

mrpwnd

Bench
Are you a Giteau fan as well? Gregan was overrated. People here complain about Keating's service, Gregan's was easily just as bad and that's only magnified in union. He would always jump back at every ruck, had rubbish kicking game and he's constant delaying of feeding the scrum resulted in thousands of penalties. He dined out on one try saving tackle for 10 years. Whitaker was easily the better scrum half. Wallabies problem was that they followed what every once else did and manufactured an experienced (read old) pack but firstly didn't have the local competition to bring up the new (slightly less older) forwards and secondly politics meant they didn't persist with the forwards they did bring in.
Are you kidding me? Service was bad? I'll concede the point on his kicking game, but his passing game was excellent, that try saving tackle definately put him in the spotlight for the rest of his career, but i'll be damned if that was the primary reason he was retained in the halves for the majority of his career, if he truly was a bad player then the wallabies are even worse off simply through the fact that they have been MIA and transparent since him and Larkham left the game.

And I guess you could say i'm a slight fan of Giteau, I can't say too much as I hardly watch union to the extent of being an advocate of the code, heck, most of the time I watched it was just to see Jonah Lomu back in the day, but even still, with the shorter attention span to union that I have I still consider Larkham and Gregan to be the major influences to the wallabies success.

DeanPay98

Juniors
Are you kidding me? Service was bad? I'll concede the point on his kicking game, but his passing game was excellent, that try saving tackle definately put him in the spotlight for the rest of his career, but i'll be damned if that was the primary reason he was retained in the halves for the majority of his career, if he truly was a bad player then the wallabies are even worse off simply through the fact that they have been MIA and transparent since him and Larkham left the game.

And I guess you could say i'm a slight fan of Giteau, I can't say too much as I hardly watch union to the extent of being an advocate of the code, heck, most of the time I watched it was just to see Jonah Lomu back in the day, but even still, with the shorter attention span to union that I have I still consider Larkham and Gregan to be the major influences to the wallabies success.

Exactly, no Gregan and no Larkham equals no golden period for the Wallabies. Look at the mess we've been since they left.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Or join an NRL team who came 12th after being grand finalists the year before.... Yeah I can see what a 'carrot' that would be....

Parramatta is the 12th or 13th best 1st grade Rugby League team in the world. Mot bad out of hundreds of teams. Last year we were the best in the world if we forget the cheats.:lol:

mrpwnd

Bench
You're absolutely kidding, aren't you? I can rattle off half a dozen ESL teams who'd thump us
I don't know, I think we could maybe give Japan a run for their money.

Yay, 1000th post woo, worship me you cretins.

I don't know, I think we could maybe give Japan a run for their money.

Yay, 1000th post woo, worship me you cretins.
grats but dont get ahead of yourself i started thinking i was hot stuff when i hit 4000 then i saw some of the other forumites post counts and shut up very quickly lol theres a lot of people with WAAAY too much time on there hands around here