What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quade Cooper knocks back Parramatta Eels offer to switch to NRL and sticks with Union

mrpwnd

Bench
grats but dont get ahead of yourself i started thinking i was hot stuff when i hit 4000 then i saw some of the other forumites post counts and shut up very quickly lol theres a lot of people with WAAAY too much time on there hands around here
They are simply warming up that milestone for me to break hah.

Btw I doubt i'll be this cocky come tomorrow when i'm too lazy to post.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...tain-says-cooper/story-e6frg7mf-1225915018216

My future is still uncertain, says Cooper

* Bret Harris
* September 07, 2010 12:00AM

WHILE the Wallabies are confident he will stay in the code, star five-eighth Quade Cooper said he is yet to make a decision about his playing future.

Cooper returned to Sydney yesterday with the Wallabies following their two-Test tour of South Africa, which included their first win against the Springboks on the highveld since 1963.

He has to decide whether to accept an improved offer from the ARU or switch to rugby league to play for the Parramatta Eels.

Even though the word inside the Wallabies camp was that Cooper would stay, he was still playing his cards close to his chest.

"I haven't made a decision yet. My future is still uncertain," Cooper said. "I'm still looking at my options. When I can get home and sit down and talk to my family, friends and agent and a few other people, hopefully we can get a decision soon."

Cooper did not want the decision to distract him from the Wallabies' Test against the All Blacks in Sydney on Saturday night.

"It's something that I don't want to let cloud my focus on this week's game," Cooper said.

"If it happens before then, it happens before then. I'm not going to put a timeline on it."

During Cooper's protracted contract renegotiation with the ARU, the national union's chief executive John O'Neill pointed out that he was yet to play against the All Blacks.

The implication was that Cooper's demand for a significant pay increase could not be justified until he had proven himself against the best team in the world.

"Everyone says I haven't played against them, but at the same time I haven't lost against them either," Cooper said. "Hopefully, I can have a win against them and as a team it will be a very big milestone for us. We haven't won in nine games, I think.

"As a team we have set a new goal since South Africa. The first one was winning on the highveld. We have done that and now it will be knocking over the All Blacks."

Cooper, who missed the Tests against the All Blacks in Melbourne and Christchurch because he was suspended for a dangerous tackle, said he could not put a value on playing against the Kiwis.

"I missed two games so I am really looking forward to playing this one," Cooper said. "You can't put an amount on how much I am looking forward to playing them.

"I've sat on the bench so many times. I'm really looking forward to playing them, but at the same time I really look forward to playing any game of footy be it park footy, club footy, Super 14 or international."

Cooper will not be able to measure himself against the world's best five-eighth, Dan Carter, who is sidelined with an ankle injury. Instead, Cooper will oppose rookie Aaron Cruden, who will be making his run-on Test debut.

"Aaron Cruden will step in well," Cooper said. "He's a fantastic player. He will fit into that mould very well."

The Wallabies will be looking to take the momentum from their drought-breaking 41-39 win against the Springboks in Bloemfontein last Sunday into the All Blacks Test.

"The game (in Bloemfontein) is something we are very proud of," Cooper said. "We sat down and yarned about it for a while.

"In coming home to our own backyard we have to take on the number one team in the world.

It's a challenge we are looking forward to."

Suitman

Post Whore
El Diablo is on the midnight run again. Can't get those links out quickly enough, eh?

Suity

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Parramatta is the 12th or 13th best 1st grade Rugby League team in the world. Not bad out of hundreds of teams. Last year we were the best in the world if we forget the cheats.:lol:

You're absolutely kidding, aren't you? I can rattle off half a dozen ESL teams who'd thump us

Parramatta is the 112th or 113th best 1st grade Rugby League team in the world. Not bad out of hundreds of teams. Last year we were the best in the world if we forget the cheats

Ooooppsss I left out the one. I stand corrected:lol::lol::lol:

zuke

Juniors
Parra Pete do you have good sources? By the way, I had to change my name from Parra Pete to Zuke to avoid confusion of too many Parra Petes.

Parra Guru

Coach
There is a simple carrot in that. More $

Sorry MITS, but I've said to you before, there is no way we could win a bidding war with the ARU given our Salary Cap constraints and that Cooper is a BIG part of their plans for the next World Cup. It would have to be a personal reason for him to switch.

If you really think the sole reason he'd sign is for a bigger offer, I want what you're smoking.

parra pete

Referee
Parra Pete do you have good sources? By the way, I had to change my name from Parra Pete to Zuke to avoid confusion of too many Parra Petes.

Read between the lines Zuke...btw ....I am flattered that there are 'too many Parra Pete's.'

I have been known 'Parra Pete' ever since I wrote articles for the Daily Telegraph way way back in 1964..in town here, and around the Riverina, I am just known as Parra...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Although I dont necessarily agree with pete, the messages that are being sent out to the media are either completely true and that he hasn't made his decision yet OR he has signed, which does fit with what we know. He cant say he has signed yet because he will be dropped and miss match fees, Ossie hasn't spoken to him since he has been gone which is very common it would distract Cooper from the Tri Nations after all.

But the signing of this Murray kid puts all this talk to bed, unless we play with both of them in the halves next year.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Sorry MITS, but I've said to you before, there is no way we could win a bidding war with the ARU given our Salary Cap constraints and that Cooper is a BIG part of their plans for the next World Cup. It would have to be a personal reason for him to switch.

If you really think the sole reason he'd sign is for a bigger offer, I want what you're smoking.

Actually Parra Guru, you're the one misinformed here!

The ARU do not have the big bikkies that they got as a result of the 'landfall' from the RWC in Australia so many moons ago.

That brought in a lot of cash, and they used that cash to bring some players over before the world cup in the hope that it would attract major attention and bring them a cash windfall.

It worked.

The windfall has since run out - the offer from the ARU to Cooper is now around $500k - which they have been 'driven up' to from League.

League has more cash to splash.

Union signed a new deal worth around $500k (AUD) for 5 years - that's 100k per year divided by 3 countries.
(http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/04/23/oneill-says-sponsors-and-fans-are-clubs-priority/)
The Australian Rugby Union therefore has AT MOST $33 million to split among 5 franchises, marketing the game, maintaining their head office, and funding grass roots developments.
Even if $25million of that 33 million gets split between the 5 franchises (unlikely) then it's $5million per state. And that's to bankroll 30-35 players.

Now in union it doesn't quite work like that - the ARU keeps a chunk of the funds for promoting the game, national team expenses and central contracts - so it's more likely that the clubs are splitting $15million = $3million per franchise for 30ish players, with 5 players per franchise paid out of the ARUs central coffers (splitting $10million amongst the top 25 players and leaving $8million for advertising etc.

When you break down all that schemozzle, the average for the top 25 players in the game would be $400k (at most). Considering the signed Giteau to an obscene contract last year, that shortens the amount anyone else can be paid. You can see why they're trying to get the Reds to pay $100k of the $500k they're proposing to throw at Cooper - with almost half the rest of the money dependant upon him playing tests for Australia.

If you can't be bothered reading it all
Union does not have the same amount of money to offer a player as league currently does.

Latest posts